Economy debate

Smilesville

IMO, the economy needs:

Realistic job and business incomes and realistic personal and business expenses to create financial balance for businesses and individuals.

Script jobs, so people have something meaningful to do to represent their IC employment and something to do when few people are on.

And a supply and demand resource extraction - processing - manufacturing - consumption for commodities that businesses and people use.  We already use gas for our cars.  Why?  Because it makes sense, and making sense contributes to rp immersion.  Paying outrageous cover charges and drink prices does not. 

Any economy will break down without needs, so have personal expenses/needs and business/expenses needs. 

Staff should consider what to implement and what to abstract.  Utilities is a legit business expense, but we don't really need it broken down to internet bill, phone bill, garbage bill, electric bill, etc.  Abstract all that.  Just have a Utilities expense estimated from real life LA for businesses of certain sizes.

Grinding, annoying realism details, and all the issues people have brought up can be relieved by appropriate implementation.

We need to bring things out of the micro individual mode and into the macro mode, a city-sized abstraction that individuals and businesses tap into to get their needs met.

Micro mode example:  Players buy properties and other players buy from them.  This is vulnerable to monopoly, price inflation and exploitation.

Macro mode example:  Set scripted property prices/rents to equivalent real life LA prices, simulating a real estate market of millions of people.  Allow player to player transactions (of course) but have plenty of scripted choices so people have somewhere else to buy if someone wants to overcharge.  Have plenty of housing available at each income level so a person or group can't buy it all up and charge extortionate prices.  Have admin supervision to control mass buying of properties by rich characters.  

Micro mode example:  A player catches one fish at a time then sells them to a sale point.

Macro mode example:  A player gets a fishing job and gets paid a salary rather than a per-fish payment.  The player catches however many pounds of fish per shift, depending on the size of the player's boat, then sells them to an industrial building on the coast, not inland.  If people want to fish for fun that's up to them.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Agreed, mainly people want to get a giant property, guns or an expensive car. 

Yeah it's stupid, it doesn't make sense when ever single person has a gun, a huge house and an expensive car. It turns into GTA Online.

1 hour ago, nwhatifyourhomiedead? said:

they needa fix that.

facts lmao gun prices are fucking stupid rn im ok with 11k for a pistol n some rounds but 25k for a simple pistol & like 30-50 rounds is wild, one could argue they're priced fairly to the economy but EHHH. i dont really agree.

Edited by Smonk
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Smonk said:

facts lmao gun prices are fucking stupid rn im ok with 11k for a pistol n some rounds but 25k for a simple pistol & like 30-50 rounds is wild, one could argue they're priced fairly to the economy but EHHH. i dont really agree.

That's more because staff has a particular idea in their heads about what constitutes an acceptable number of suppliers - one that differs significantly from mine, sad to say. The only weapons you'll probably find for sale on the street are stolen PF license weapons because the suppliers align themselves with a faction and then... refuse to sell to anyone who's not in their group of friends. Because the supply is low, the demand is high, ergo the problem you're facing - it really has little to do with the generalized economy.

5 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

That's more because staff has a particular idea in their heads about what constitutes an acceptable number of suppliers - one that differs significantly from mine, sad to say. The only weapons you'll probably find for sale on the street are stolen PF license weapons because the suppliers align themselves with a faction and then... refuse to sell to anyone who's not in their group of friends. Because the supply is low, the demand is high, ergo the problem you're facing - it really has little to do with the generalized economy.

I mean, not really? I know people that sell guns to anyone that they get for dirt cheap and turn around and resell it for 25k. It's like that because people are greedy and want more money from weapons. Lack of supply is partially the problem but its most definitely a player issue & general issue too because the people doing that then go on to make other people think that's the average going rate so they sell for the same amount and thus no matter the amount of supply, things are sold at a retarded high price because of the original people that started doing that even though some of these people are getting the guns for nothing basically.

On the bright side, keeps the amount of guns around even more scarce which is a good thing, but I still think it's too ridiculous atm.

I think it does have a little to with the general economy.  People will pay $25k for a pistol because there's that much money sloshing around due to the imbalances created by the way the economy is currently implemented.