Legal Penalty for a CK

Smilesville

Simply put - if murdering another character results in a CK, then the penalty for that crime should be a "life in prison without the possibility of parole" CK. The only reason I abstain from mentioning the death sentence is because California politics are such that it would never become law, but life in prison absolutely would. The ability to permanently remove a character from the server should not come without the potential for an equivalent consequence.

• Applaud 1

There would be a few things to take into account. It would be exceedingly easy for someone with a "trashable" character - one they don't care about at all - to get killed and choose to CK. Then, if the death row system or "life in prison CK" system works the same way the current arrest system works (the cops pretend you did something, slap you in jail, you're screwed, good luck appealing)... I'm not sure how viable it could be. It would need to have a LOT of safeguards along the way to avoid destroying RP, instead of creating and encouraging it.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, Franelli said:

A combination of these two suggestions sounds like the best approach in my opinion.

Well, the reason I specified a CK scenario is because it hardly seems fair to CK a character when the person they "killed" was only PK'd. I'm not terribly concerned with scenarios in which everyone has PK'd everyone else, but at the point when someone decides they want to CK someone else, the stakes should become much higher - I'm still debating how to account for the discrepancy IC. That is, why some murder cases would result in a life sentence while others are relatively lax.

• 1 month later...

As of now, there is no incentive for criminal role players to RP fear of justice for their crimes. As a member of PD, even the harshest jailtimes I've given out only amount to a few days. As someone who has also engaged in criminal RP, the sentences I received when caught were basically negligible. This effects RP in so many ways, but most notably in that it gives criminal role players basic impunity to do as they please with no regard for the consequences.

Take a charge like First Degree Murder. In the penal code we use right now, that's a 25 day sentence which, in reality due to the 1 day = 2 hours rule, amounts to 50 hours in jail. This is barely over two days. Once the offender is released, they've lost no memory of the situation that lead to their incarceration, and are free to resume their activities; Usually with knowledge of those they'd like to go after for getting them charged in the first place.

This creates an extremely unrealistic environment for criminal RP. Gang members and members of organized crime groups have zero incentive to cooperate with law enforcement, as they know full well that for even the most heinous crimes that would land them in jail for life IRL, they will just be facing a few hours or maybe a few days here.

Something needs to be done not only about CK for CK type situations, but for crime ramifications as a whole.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
On 12/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, Smilesville said:

Simply put - if murdering another character results in a CK, then the penalty for that crime should be a "life in prison without the possibility of parole" CK. The only reason I abstain from mentioning the death sentence is because California politics are such that it would never become law, but life in prison absolutely would. The ability to permanently remove a character from the server should not come without the potential for an equivalent consequence.

I am quite possitive that would be possible if Robbery and Homicide Divison from within the LSPD would build up a casefile on the suspects. That's what I am intending to do upon enlisting with LSPD.

Build up casefiles and request life setnace (CK) for suspects with serious offences.

• mj2002 locked this topic