CCTV

Triple Seven

Morning everyone!

I'd like to suggest the CCTV rule be changed to something useful, so players can use their CCTV w/o consent of a party that is filmed.

As it stands it's completely useless to install CCTV RPly as it won't be taken seriously, even though it is something that realistically would happen and be present on lots of establishments and houses, depending on the situations the owners have dealt with.

Currently the rule states (with some exceptions for government, no idea why):

CCTV are permitted within a person's residence, if a player has mounted cameras outside their residence, in their vehicles or any place filming the public, they must get the consent of all parties involved.

As long as the public CCTV is RP'd and there is for example an imgur album with time and date shown, I feel it should be allowed to use footage taken within viewing angle of the cameras installed, in-character. When there is no actual footage this can be achieved by using /do.

This change would increase player honesty and it would also be of massive help to detectives and even normal police officers in determining their course of action.

Therefore I'd like to suggest a rulechange and word it like this or similar:

CCTV is permitted in- and outside a person's residence or business, if a player has evidence of roleplaying the installation realistically with a prior date and time.

If a property clearly shows cameras inside and/or outside, they can be used without the need to roleplay installing them.

When property ownership is transferred, the roleplay evidence can be given to the new owner, but this is not required. The new owner is responsible for having evidence of CCTV installation according to the mentioned requirements.

Evidence must be available to be supplied and consist of screenshots showing the roleplay and GTA World watermark, as well as a time and date by using /time.

I don’t know how much of it is true but if you can’t install CCTVs in specific locations without OOC permission then it’s a little silly. You would physically be able to even though it’ll be incriminating to film and use it without IC consent. At least in U.K, you have to make all parties aware you’re being filmed but that doesn’t restrict people from installing CCTV in certain locations. 

I think the issue comes from physical objects because if my character walks into the bathroom, checks for cameras, don’t really want to report for an admin to find out everytime. I guess this rule just balances it out until that’s possible. The matter of “What if my character would’ve spotted that CCTV but it’s not physically there?”

• Upvote 1

If there's a physical object that resembles a camera, then the OOC consent stuff should be automatically allowed. Why should we need to get permission when cameras are already setup? Almost everyone has Shadowplay or AMD Relive for footage. 

3 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

any place filming the public, they must get the consent of all parties involved.

This part of the rule is very silly, especially around businesses. If the party says no then what, do we void his criminal actions or do we allow them to continue and go on without evidence to report to the police? 

• Upvote 1

I think all, more popular commercial establishments should automatically have CCTV - with a certain view radius(With a special map for a quick reference when a RP situation requires it). Player owned businesses and houses should have CCTV too when it is installed properly and a proof screenshot with a timestamp exist for later use. 

I believe this rule should be disregarded in player owned properties that have a camera object installed through the furniture menu. Only problem with this, for the time being, is the fact that the current furniture system is a bit bugged and items tend to flicker and disappear before you manage to properly place them at the desired location.

Business property owners should have the ability to request a CCTV camera object installed at the front / entrance of the property as well, if deem necessary. Game administrators are currently capable of placing the objects through the game as far as I know so this shouldn't be mapping-related issue. Only thing that would need to be determined is a proper channel to submit such requests through.

3 hours ago, Franelli said:

I believe this rule should be disregarded in player owned properties that have a camera object installed through the furniture menu.

I believe this was the original intent of the rule, but the poor syntax results in some miscommunications. It reads as follows:

CCTV are permitted within a person's residence, if a player has mounted cameras outside their residence, in their vehicles or any place filming the public, they must get the consent of all parties involved.

I read this as, "CCTV is permitted within a residence" being a single clause, followed by "if a player has mounted etc etc etc" being an entirely separate clause on its own, which brings me to the conclusion that CCTV inside an individual's residence does not need permission, but cameras in vehicles or in public-facing directions do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will not make a separate thread because my problem/suggestion falls very close to OP's problem.

Why do dash cameras require consent of all parties involved? That defeats the whole purpose of dash cams. They're meant to have evidence against people who don't agree with what you're saying in the first place, making the "you need the consent of all parties" line totally puzzling to me.

I am open to be educated on why such a rule even exists because everyone I've asked so far are just as puzzled as me (and to be fair, I do have a very high IQ!). 

What I suggest: as long as you have evidence of the dash cams being installed with proper role play and a date, you could always use it RP wise (taking into account the angles etc) if you have actual OOC footage. 

Edited by M52B28
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic