Stop the grind shaming

Figured I might give input as someone who does prefer the scripted jobs as opposed to the new rp jobs or peer to peer methods of earning money.

Its human nature to desire progression, advancements, and achievements. And personally, I'm the type of person that will take the most direct and efficient route possible for said desires.

I've tried my hand at multiple rp jobs.  The least mind numbing being mechanic.  All of the stores and stations might get two customers an hour, maybe more if there's a good amount of people wanting to RP that way.

Anecdotally, I stayed at the Davis store for a solid hour and a half one day, with the population being around 100.  In that time I had 1 customer.

They bought some cigarettes, and paid for a bat (which I got a small percentage of).  That's an extremely inefficient way to make money. 

I want more than anything to provide RP and get paid enough to not need to grind like I do now.

I just feel really bummed when I try to do the new jobs, and get improportionally paid vs. my time spent.

Hope my input sparks some more conversation.

Edited by MChavera
21 minutes ago, MChavera said:

Figured I might give input as someone who does prefer the scripted jobs as opposed to the new rp jobs or peer to peer methods of earning money.

Its human nature to desire progression, advancements, and achievements. And personally, I'm the type of person that will take the most direct and efficient route possible for said desires.

I've tried my hand at multiple rp jobs.  The least mind numbing being mechanic.  All of the stores and stations might get two customers an hour, maybe more if there's a good amount of people wanting to RP that way.

Anecdotally, I stayed at the Davis store for a solid hour and a half one day, with the population being around 100.  In that time I had 1 customer.

They bought some cigarettes, and paid for a bat (which I got a small percentage of).  That's an extremely inefficient way to make money. 

I want more than anything to provide RP and get paid enough to not need to grind like I do now.

I just feel really bummed when I try to do the new jobs, and get improportionally paid vs. my time spent.

Hope my input sparks some more conversation.

It sums up my input where people will aim for the most efficient way of making money, The current way of people getting paid peanuts from the garage once you are on shift is b/s and on-top of that having to be paid once a week by the manager the same amount you do for one~two hours of grinding mining it bumming down. The idea of Person-To-Person job is nice but once they are paid proper pay out for time spent doing said job. The current payout of Person-To-Person jobs is rather more of a grind since you get paid way way less than what you do on a Person-To-Script job.

Edited by Vash Baldeus

I think the biggest issue is that on top of RP jobs paying jackshit (unless you're the owner), is they're fucking boring. 99% of people don't come to play RP servers to sit behind a counter at a gas station or bar for hours on end typing in /me every now and then.

Edited by EliH
  • Applaud 2
3 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

It sums up my input where people will aim for the most efficient way of making money, The current way of people getting paid peanuts from the garage once you are on shift is b/s and on-top of that having to be paid once a week by the manager the same amount you do for one~two hours of grinding mining it bumming down. The idea of Person-To-Person job is nice but once they are paid proper pay out for time spent doing said job. The current payout of Person-To-Person jobs is rather more of a grind since you get paid way way less than what you do on a Person-To-Script job.

I have no idea where you're coming from with "garages paying peanuts." The garages are one of the most profitable businesses around after nightclubs. If you have a boss giving you a rather small pay, either ask for a raise, or find a new garage to work at. The garage pay issue is more IC than it is OOC. The more you work at a garage, the more business you have, the more cash you rake in and the more you can be paid IC. If you're raking in a load of cash and the garage owner isn't paying more, that's an IC issue.

12 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

I have no idea where you're coming from with "garages paying peanuts." The garages are one of the most profitable businesses around after nightclubs. If you have a boss giving you a rather small pay, either ask for a raise, or find a new garage to work at. The garage pay issue is more IC than it is OOC. The more you work at a garage, the more business you have, the more cash you rake in and the more you can be paid IC. If you're raking in a load of cash and the garage owner isn't paying more, that's an IC issue.

Yea'? Last time I've checked with a club owner for a job, the pay was 2,000 per two hours opening not including tips. Meaning the time you spend workint the bar you are paid less than the time you'd spend mining. Tip are okay if you are getting lucky.

19 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Yea'? Last time I've checked with a club owner for a job, the pay was 2,000 per two hours opening not including tips. Meaning the time you spend workint the bar you are paid less than the time you'd spend mining. Tip are okay if you are getting lucky.

Then find another bar or club to work at, or find a different garage to work at.  Even then, that's an IC issue, not an OOC one. Some people are greedy, there's no reason why that should be taken OOC.

When I first got to the server I was glad there were RPG jobs, so I could slowly get to know the server. I stopped playing SA-MP about 6-8 years ago.. and was even fairly new to the city of GTA 5. RPG jobs helped me not to get bored, make money and got me a car so i got to know the map and find the hot spots to roleplay in the city. I've been playing here for I believe ~5 months now and haven't touched an RPG job anymore on my main character as I got to know people to roleplay with.

So to fully remove scripted jobs.. I'd be against it. However they could be made more realistic and should pay less money.

And I know your argument would be that a new player gets extra money for the first few hours online. but I'm a player who unfortunately can't spend much time online, as I'm in my final year of college. I know some of you get to play several hours everyday. I'm lucky if I even get to play. So scripted jobs are still the only way for people like me to slightly keep up with players who spend a lot of hours online. Because if you want to have a reasonable pay in an IC job, it also takes up a lot of hours to work your way up there.
It's still a roleplay server where I would like to play a role.. and not work my ass off hour after hour to achieve something just like in real life. As long as you have a realistic reason.. and properly roleplay your character, it's not that bad to speed up the proces just a little bit.

On a side note.. I'm really confused by the whole economic change anyway..
A lot of prices went down, but some things like a boombox still cost a crazy amount of money compared to them. 

Edited by Triple-J

RP Jobs are a grind because let's face it: low-training jobs that require no specialization are a grind. The idea behind it is that you're doing that grind involving other people in RP fashion, and not simply grinding parallel to your RP (which is, by the way, against server rules if you then deny that you've been mining IC). The main issue I see with RP jobs is that there's nothing truly in the game that is a constant necessity that justifies sticking a character behind a counter unless you're really, really bored or you're a mechanic or bartender.

I'd love to RP my bored, young punk of a character behind a 24/7 counter if people had any reason whatsoever to come buy from me, but as it stands there's no true interesting reasons to go to most businesses for, and most people still go to the automated script versions of the store, so they're absolutely pointless unless you're devoted to that business, which chances are most workers aren't because they're not the owners.

• Upvote 3
30 minutes ago, Koko said:

RP Jobs are a grind because let's face it: low-training jobs that require no specialization are a grind. The idea behind it is that you're doing that grind involving other people in RP fashion, and not simply grinding parallel to your RP (which is, by the way, against server rules if you then deny that you've been mining IC). The main issue I see with RP jobs is that there's nothing truly in the game that is a constant necessity that justifies sticking a character behind a counter unless you're really, really bored or you're a mechanic or bartender.

I'd love to RP my bored, young punk of a character behind a 24/7 counter if people had any reason whatsoever to come buy from me, but as it stands there's no true interesting reasons to go to most businesses for, and most people still go to the automated script versions of the store, so they're absolutely pointless unless you're devoted to that business, which chances are most workers aren't because they're not the owners.

For example my character mines occasionally, I don't deny ICly that the character does that to earn a buck or two on the down time when nothing's going on. People who deny their income source since it doesn't fit their character they violate the rules of the server.