Stop the grind shaming

12 hours ago, Mitch said:

Gov bonus HAS to go, it's literally a money printing machine. Bored? Oh, open a bar and slap $500 on the entry fee and get a cool extra $1'000 per person who comes in, woah! Look at that, impressive, you put SO MUCH WORK INTO IT. Nah, Bonus needs to go if people like it or not. 

Bonuses should mainly be given out only to the industrial sector. Bars and clubs should not get them. They should also OOCly limit on how many commercial businesses there can be so it mirrors the map coverage area and the player population.

36 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

Bonuses should mainly be given out only to the industrial sector. Bars and clubs should not get them. They should also OOCly limit on how many commercial businesses there can be so it mirrors the map coverage area and the player population.

Only give them to businesses that give quality roleplay and or have earned it. Half assed efforts to little or no reward shouldn't get anything. 

• Applaud 1
11 hours ago, MChavera said:

Getting rid of that would mean governmental agencies get paid more and the city would have a better budget for other roleplay projects and new systems like the business stimulus / affordable housing program.

Except that's not what would happen at all.

To put the situation with the government in perspective, server staff refuses to touch the absurd paychecks that members of legal organizations receive - they say it's all an IC situation and point me to the mayor and the GOV faction as the individuals responsible. The individual who plays the mayor sees no problem with this, and thinks of it as creating a "class of consumers." He believes he is choosing who has the capacity to determine what constitutes success in the marketplace. A direct statement has been that,since they have the money in the faction bank, they're going to spend it on the Police and Fire Departments, and on Weazel. With me so far?

Any extra income would not go to stimulus programs; the only reason those exist was because Olivia Morales was ejected from her seat for proposing the very taxes that Rockford went and implemented. If you deprive the businesses of this bonus without a suitable alternative, you're only adding fuel to the fire and placing more script power in the hands of individuals who use it irresponsibly.

Which brings me to my next point.

7 hours ago, Mitch said:

Only give them to businesses that give quality roleplay and or have earned it. Half assed efforts to little or no reward shouldn't get anything.

We need a new system, but having someone manually choose which businesses do and do not receive the bonus is a terrible idea. Individual opinions vary on what constitutes quality roleplay, so how can we ensure that we can, objectively, measure player interest in a particular concept? I proposed an idea to address that very issue - and you can see for yourself whose opinion was instrumental in its denial.

Now that we've progressed for some time and proven that the government systems do not, in fact, fix the issues we're facing... maybe it's time to reconsider formulating a bonus based on how many customers and employees your business has.

Edited by Smilesville
On 2/12/2019 at 8:39 AM, hentai! said:

Stupid prices = people doing stupid shit to get money to afford them.
One of these stupid things is grinding.

Thank you. I love this server, love this staff, and love the amount of effort put into all of this, bringing us together. Though, I sometimes question the integrity of the government (since theoretically they're responsible for the prices and economy). The reason people grind (guilty) is because everything is so damn expensive. Its not meant to reflect real life, that's noted. Though, between the tax and registration on vehicles, the ridiculous prices on some of the most standard vehicles, housing prices, etc... Compare that to what we get paid (let's assume we're over the 40 hours). Now what?

You have your home.. Let's say out of the $200000 the server gives you, you buy the an "okay" home, not in the ghetto, that's already 65% of your income of over 40 hours. Now, let's say you buy the cheapest 2 door car, which is roughly $21,000 if I'm correct. You got to pay 10% for registration plus a weekly road tax. There goes the 40 hours. Now what?

Want to buy a business? Need some stuff at the store like a duffle bag for $1500? Need a boombox to just chill at the beach for $5000? Need a license to taxi people around? Need a license to do anything? You're screwed. How are you going to get the extra cash? That leads to one thing, scripted jobs. Why?

The problem is: Most people who own businesses and/or are wealthy do not create opportunities for roleplay. Everyone is always busy with their personal friends and either "hiring licensed security" or "hiring a bartender for my club". Theres a wide lack for opportunity when it comes to the player ran economies. With almost closing in on my year here, I've seen a lot of people come and go IC. One day, I hire someone, two days later when it's time to do the job, they're nowhere to be found and I never hear from them again. This also goes for some seasoned players who dont log in for weeks.

What I'm trying to say here... Taking away scripted jobs wont solve anything, it'll just create more work for admins in the long run due to inactivity. What we need is a complete rework of the economic system to tie everything together and have it be part script part RP.

Edited by ALT2
  • Upvote 2
14 hours ago, ALT2 said:

You have your home.. Let's say out of the $200000 the server gives you, you buy the an "okay" home, not in the ghetto, that's already 65% of your income of over 40 hours. Now, let's say you buy the cheapest 2 door car, which is roughly $21,000 if I'm correct. You got to pay 10% for registration plus a weekly road tax. There goes the 40 hours. Now what?

That bonus leads to most people being lazy, and giving up because they don't feel satisfaction from getting that money on their own.
Other people just roll with it, because they're set for some time and they don't give a shit about working.
And there's people like me, who wanna use it to do something, but everything is way too expensive.
Oh well, fuck me sideways.

Fortunately, the system is changing and Kudos to Pascal, for making me less anxious and worried about the future roleplay of my character.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, hentai! said:

Fortunately, the system is changing and Kudos to Pascal, for making me less anxious and worried about the future roleplay of my character.

Go on...

Spoiler

I wanna be less anxious too, you know.

Just now, hentai! said:

They're planning on letting you lease any business you want, anywhere. But they need to work on some UCP stuff. That means we can finally get some more interesting stuff, not just bars and clubs 24/7.

It kind of made me even more worried now. They better keep it controlled. People should be more balanced in between the commercial and industrial sectors.