Reduce Legal Paychecks

Smilesville

I've seen many script changes made in the name of getting the "server economy" to something manageable, but I've not seen anything done with regards to the most egregious offender - legal organization paychecks. For those who are unaware, I am referring to the fact that any normal player will make $800 per check from their scripted job, but those who join the Fire Department, Police Department, and Weazel make vastly more than this on average.

My understanding is that Weazel has taken steps to correct this, but the other two departments have not - to the point where an entry-level member of the Fire Department makes $2,500 per paycheck. This is over three times what any other individual is capable of making hourly, and they receive this paycheck whether or not they're "on the job." This is, in my opinion, part of the reason we have so many problems with the economy. If we were to measure the top 10 richest players, I'm fairly certain that most of them would be members of legal organizations (though I'm interested to hear the results if this is not the case.)

In the spirit of bringing these in line with other paychecks, the suggestion I'm making is twofold:

1. Reduce the amount of money these factions make per paycheck. There is absolutely no reason for the cash to be at this level if we want a realistic server economy.
  2. Only pay out a percentage of an increased paycheck corresponding to how much time during the previous hour was actually spent on duty.

Due to the sheer lack of realism surrounding the GOV factions (specifically, they collect exorbitant taxes without having to spend them on any sort of upkeep) an IC solution is infeasible - before someone suggests that this can be resolved in such a manner.

I tend to agree with this. On the one hand members of legal factions make decent amount of money compared to other jobs the server has to offer, but on the other hand they are expected to portray their characters properly and not go around spending their money because in real life such jobs won't be paying that well. It's a little bit off if you ask me.

What I believe should happen is a good mixture of the two clauses suggested by @Smilesville. Both the paycheck sum should be reduced to a more reasonable amount and the money paid every hour should highly depend on the amount of time the character has spent on duty. That would encourage faction members to spend more time on duty and balance the economy to a certain level.

Only pay on-duty when having a job like that, or drop it back to the 600 or 800 standard off-duty. Also lower the paychecks, for example an entry level PD Academy graduate should be paid maybe 1000 while on-duty training for the full job, then maybe do steps of 200 or 250 up per rank to get a realistic scale.

Edited by Triple Seven
12 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

Only pay on-duty when having a job like that, or drop it back to the 600 or 800 standard off-duty. Also lower the paychecks, for example an entry level PD Academy graduate should be paid maybe 1000 while on-duty training for the full job, then maybe do steps of 200 or 250 up per rank to get a realistic scale.

PD Academy graduates don’t receive any paycheck until inducted last I checked

Just now, Tr1bal said:

I like to see the 800$ paycheck to be reduced to around 100$ and PD/FD to get their paychecks only when they are onduty.

Terrible idea. Having regular players receive $100 an hour for playing whilst businesses charge $300 entry fees, and upwards of $150 for a single drink, as well as having road taxes to pay is an awful idea. A simple $50,000 car on the server would require 25 hours of $100 pay checks per week alone. All this suggestion would do is push players to grind script jobs more. 

9 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

I like to see the 800$ paycheck to be reduced to around 100$ and PD/FD to get their paychecks only when they are onduty.

That would make sure half the server can't pay their taxes anymore and force them to grind, so I don't think that is a particularly good option. If that were to be done, more changes would be needed.

5 minutes ago, milk said:

PD Academy graduates don’t receive any paycheck until inducted last I checked

Alright, well, the low paychecks is what I meant, from whenever they start getting paid.

Edited by Triple Seven

Po1’s earn like 1k or so per paycheck (not sure rly), however, we have to actually roleplay and stuff, you know? Yeah, I might recieve 2k paychecks from PD, but I’ve been in it for good 4 months, and actually earned it, whilst civilians can simply go and mine for 10k/hr with no roleplay required at all.

1 minute ago, Pogis said:

Po1’s earn like 1k or so per paycheck (not sure rly), however, we have to actually roleplay and stuff, you know? Yeah, I might recieve 2k paychecks from PD, but I’ve been in it for good 4 months, and actually earned it, whilst civilians can simply go and mine for 10k/hr with no roleplay required at all.

Mining is a terrible way to play the server, I prefer RP over mining, which granted, I did a year ago. Since then I've realized, obviously, mining is not fun.

More importantly: are you saying here you earned a ridiculous salary in over 4 months of being somewhere? In reality you wouldn't even have been promoted or received a raise yet, maybe a Christmas bonus soon. Besides, are you playing police for the RP you have to do, or for the money? Cause if I were to consider it I'd join for the RP I'd want to do, not for the paycheck involved.

Just now, Pogis said:

So this justifies an unfairly inflated paycheck that makes an OOC incentive? Are you saying that, without the $2,000 paycheck, you would not be playing a police officer? If you believe someone isn't roleplaying properly, you should submit a quality report, as this is what they're there for - and if an individual goes unreported, nothing will ever be done with regards to their behavior. I've long been an advocate of removing the avenue of selling ores for cash to the script anyways.

I think the reason players don't provide much feedback on this issue @Rukka is that many are simply unaware of how much legal faction employees make - I'm only dimly aware of these things because I consort with others on the payroll frequently, and even then, specific numbers for each rank are hard to come by. Any information along this vein to contribute to the discussion would be massively appreciated.