Snow for Christmas?

Nervous

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

I honestly don't understand this big fuss about the weather. Sure we base Los Santos of California, however Los Santos is still a fictional place. Christmas happens only once a year and 1-2 weeks of snow out of 52? If you're being so negative about that then that's a bit low as you're destroying the fun for others.

We had snow last year, why did our weather suddenly turn around to sunny 24/7? 

The arguments of this being a heavy RP server are true but aren't we here to have fun after all?

As a TA I’m sure you can appreciate this from a staff point of view as well as a player. Nobodies destroying anyone’s fun by stating the reasons for not wanting snow, the same way for example I’m not letting people who want the snow ruin MY “fun”. Your first paragraph seems a little closed minded but we all have different perspectives on what RP should entail as well as the environment around us. I fully appreciate your side however much I disagree with you. Nobodies saying the weather turned to 24/7 sunny either and I think this is just jading the actual points.

I am honestly dreading this though from a staff POV, lore and GTA environment aside. 

I'm all in for snow, would make some interesting and fun RP. I wasn't there myself the previous year but from what I heard most naysayers saw how they/others got punished for not RPing correctly (short sleeves, driving without caution etc). Maybe the Moderators should try to mostly just warn us and steer us in the right direction rather than instantly punishing those that have yet to adapt to the snow.

14 minutes ago, eyebrows said:

As a TA I’m sure you can appreciate this from a staff point of view as well as a player. Nobodies destroying anyone’s fun by stating the reasons for not wanting snow, the same way for example I’m not letting people who want the snow ruin MY “fun”. Your first paragraph seems a little closed minded but we all have different perspectives on what RP should entail as well as the environment around us. I fully appreciate your side however much I disagree with you. Nobodies saying the weather turned to 24/7 sunny either and I think this is just jading the actual points.

I am honestly dreading this though from a staff POV, lore and GTA environment aside. 

If I were to be seeing this as a staff point of view it means no snow, no Christmas as we RP in California which means it doesn't snow. I don't share that same opinion with the rest off the staff team, I see Christmas as a period of the year to have fun in, to be with your family and get together, why is that not something that we can have on the server instead? Snow adds a lot to the environment and it creates different and unique roleplay apart from the same weather every day, surely we can RP it being more cold but that's still a long way from snow. 

Maybe my opinion is close minded as snow could annoy others and potentially "ruin" their fun on the server but that's my opinion on it.

32 minutes ago, eyebrows said:

I am honestly dreading this though from a staff POV

I feel like a lot of players are overlooking the ramifications of snow in the game world.

There will be reports and complaints of players not RPing the snowfall, and they'd be completely justified. It will definitely be a staff nightmare in terms of enforcement. 

Every single police chase will most likely be able to be reported for 'non-RP behavior'. 

To that end, if there's snow a player who chooses to use a durable, outdoors oriented truck, jeep, etc. should be able to evade an LSPD cruiser very easily given the weather conditions for example. 

If you have a super car and are driving it around in a blizzard you're wildly out of character.

Players on bicycles and motorbikes? Better watch out, my goodness.

Does the GOV have trucks prepared for clearing the roads? I don't think there are any snow removal/road service crews available. Will we be RPing the snow accumulating on roads and highways? What about back roads? 

There are a plethora of pretty huge changes that need to be considered when RPing if we add snow. 

In short, i'm not for or against adding snow...however, if we are adding snow ONLY as a visual effect then I don't believe it is something we should consider. 

Put the snow in and we should all be expected to adjust accordingly to the weather in San Andreas. 

Edited by Hollywood
3 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

I feel like a lot of players are overlooking the ramifications of snow in the game world.

There will be reports and complaints of players not RPing the snowfall, and they'd be completely justified. It will definitely be a staff nightmare in terms of enforcement.

Every single police chase will most likely be able to be reported for 'non-RP behavior'.
Players on bicycles and motorbikes? Better watch out, my goodness.

Does the GOV have trucks prepared for clearing the roads? I don't think there are any snow removal/road service crews available. Will we be RPing the snow accumulating on roads and highways? What about back roads?

There are a plethora of pretty huge changes that need to be considered when RPing if we add snow.

I completely agree with Hollywood here, not only is the snow completely unrealistic, it just isn't a viable option. Players on GTA:W need to understand the climate and the type of city that they are living in would not have this. Sure, shock weather incidents do happen in which snow can suddenly happen but they alone are extremely rare.

Personally, I wouldn't even chase anyone in that weather from PD's point of view, it is extremely risky and the fact that we don't have the vehicles for it, our vehicles are based around the usual climate in Los Santos which is bloody hot. The snow on the roads would build up making it impossible to even drive around on the roads, cars or bikes alike.

Those in favour need to consider that the snow isn't just what you see it as, think about the fact you want it for a few days on end, that is constant snowfall that is going to build up on itself which makes it impossible to simply drift through it like half the drivers on GTA:W do currently, don't take what you see as 1:1 for what is actually there.

The likely hood of there being snow means you need to sacrifice all of your plans for RP and take a break pretty much as well as ruin your character development, most of the homes are equipped with air conditioning due to how hot the weather is, how many people are going to have heaters inside of their homes for the cold weather? How many people are going to have full winter clothing?

You can't just go to stores and buy all this stuff as there would simply not be enough stores that would sell winter clothing, the imports and exports would have to be halted due to the weather as well meaning the stores wouldn't get restocked and the entire city won't be able to get everything they need from one store.

tl;dr there are so many more angles that need to be considered if you want snow, those against it aren't trying to ruin the fun of anything but they're trying to maintain the heavy role-play standard that GTA:W stands for and it would be a shame to have another hit to the reputation by letting this kind of decision through. Those who came to GTA:W signed up for heavy roleplay, this isn't it.

I mean, if people were as switched on with the server as they think they are, they’d for sure as Hell know we don’t roleplay Los Santos as Los Angeles or California.

I have no idea where that even came from and where it continues to be stupidly recited. I’d like to see where a member of staff has been adamant that we roleplay LS as LA. We roleplay LS as being a city on the West Coast of America and we roleplay the weather accordingly with the hottest parts of the West Coast (before anything decides to link me to the snow in Washington)

I think it’s wildly ignorant to assume that Christmas needs snow to be Christmassy and like I’ve said multiple times, it’s interesting to see who understands heavy roleplay properly here and who actually treats the server like a playground for fun. 

Nobody said roleplay isn’t or can’t be fun. Do it properly and it can be fun. “How do I do it properly?” You may ask... and I’d reply by saying: “Research your faction concepts, your character concepts and act accordingly with the concept you have created within a realistic boundary.”

But hey, I’m just a small minority of the server that understands that continuity is essential to keep our high standards at its highest.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1