Snow for Christmas?

Nervous

1 hour ago, whatsakat. said:

One's been established as existing in the server universe, and one hasn't. As discussed before in the thread, roleplay ≠ realism. Roleplay is determined by how a player exists within an established in game universe, and their quality of behavior within that sphere. It is almost a strictly GTA RP thing to want to emulate IRL so bad. Imagine RPing in a Fallout game and being like, "Why should we even have glowing rain when it doesn't exist IRL? ?" when it's been in the universe since the first game.

I would strongly disagree with the assertion that roleplay ≠ realism in the case of heavy roleplay. Heavy RP is extremely hard to describe and is fairly subjective, however, I would say there are several key elements that make it up:

• High quality emotes and English skills: this is the most basic and is sometimes mistaken for roleplay itself. The act of doing /me and /do is not roleplay, it's just the means by which roleplay is portrayed. Nevertheless, doing it well is a feature of what would make roleplay heavy.
  • Character development and design: characters need to be more than a reflection of yourself in real life doing /me and /do, they need to be their own people with personalities, development and well thought out traits. If their traits and activities change, there should be good reasons for it and it should be realistic, rather than just hopping from job to job and having a resume as long as Homer Simpson's.
  • Realism and portrayal: this is often what is ignored and often divides medium and light from heavy roleplay. Characters, groups and the setting should be realistic (in the instance of GTA V RP, obviously Star Wars RP would comply with Star Wars canon, etc.) and grounded. A well researched and portrayed faction that simply wouldn't exist in real life or exist anymore would be medium roleplay. A character that is consistent and does not break rules but is beyond unlikely to exist in real life again would probably come under medium roleplay.

Realism and portrayal is many ways is what separates a heavy roleplay server from other servers; however, other factors can come into play too. Realistic portrayal is probably the biggest thing people ignore when constructing their characters, such as having so many traits and characteristics the character ceases to be grounded or is simply not consistent. An example of this is with factions, factions really need to be something that could exist on the West Coast in 2018, while you could make an Inuit gang that follows a La Cosa Nostra structure, no matter how much research you did and effort put into the character design it would simply not be heavy roleplay.

We are a heavy roleplay server and want to promote heavy roleplay. While snow would be fun and provide roleplay on a medium RP server, it isn't something that we should promote here. As some people have mentioned, a couple of days of snow may be a compromise; however, a full month of snow would simply be farcical and hypocritical for a server that emphasises realism. Snow would seriously undermine our image as a server for heavy roleplay.

• Upvote 1

I'm with the "Let it Snow!" crowd.

I know I'm new here and my opinion doesn't really weigh that much, but I was a bit bothered to read players on the discord server refer to snow as inconsistent and lore-breaking.  This is Rockstar's universe, and they've decided that within their universe Los Santos gets a bit of snow toward the end of December (at least Online where the calender and associated weather patterns are somewhat acknowledged).  It's unfair for any of us on either side of the fence to dictate what is or isn't lore-abiding in a game we didn't create.

Edited by TheAlcoholic27
Spelling mistakes.
11 minutes ago, TheAlcoholic27 said:

I know I'm new here and my opinion doesn't really weigh that much, but I was a bit bothered to read players on the discord server refer to snow as inconsistent and lore-breaking.  This is Rockstar's universe, and they've decided that within their universe Los Santos gets a bit of snow toward the end of December (at least Online where the calender and associated weather patterns are somewhat acknowledged).  It's unfair for any of us on either side of the fence to dictate what is or isn't lore-abiding in a game we didn't create.

In that case then, we might as well start allowing players to create factions like the Grove Street Families or the Ballas. Hell, while we’re at it we might as well allow people to roleplay as Lester, Michael, Franklin and Trevor.

Oh, and since Rockstar implemented the lore around Los Santos wanting to legalise cocaine with their proposition, since its GTA V lore we might as well approve that happening too!

You see where I’m going with this? We can’t keep using the silly “GTA lore” excuse. Our community previously decided in early 2018 that our lore will be based on a West Coast America whilst the engine of the game itself will be GTA V.

Also, @Liam_Airey you’re using anything that unrealistic in the server to try and justify the addition of snow. I don’t agree with half of what you said, I’ve directly said multiple times that entry fees are retarded. It doesn’t mean I’m going to drop my standards to add something even more ridiculous just because there’s a few unrealistic elements to the server that shouldn’t be there in the first place.

EDIT: @the_criserk is right, some of your priorities as a community are so damn scuffed. We give you input on deciding whether or not the weapon damage increases for individual weapons and we barely scraped 2 pages. We give you input on whether the official faction system should be removed and replaced with FM’s full attention and nurturing of those factions that have earned it, barely any input on the thread. Sometimes I wonder if you guys are just here to roam free with a tiny bit of roleplay or if you actually value the standards we push in the server.

The “fun” excuse is moot and tiring. Roleplay becomes fun when you do it properly, not when you do it incorrectly and break immersion for everyone that you encounter. It would be fun to own all of the most expensive and fast cars in the server with the biggest house, it doesn’t mean I’m going to mine and buy them all because I’m one of the minorities that follow the continuity of my character and the server and I won’t break it.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Maca said:

In that case then, we might as well start allowing players to create factions like the Grove Street Families or the Ballas. Hell, while we’re at it we might as well allow people to roleplay as Lester, Michael, Franklin and Trevor.

Oh, and since Rockstar implemented the lore around Los Santos wanting to legalise cocaine with their proposition, since its GTA V lore we might as well approve that happening too!

You see where I’m going with this? We can’t keep using the silly “GTA lore” excuse. Our community previously decided in early 2018 that our lore will be based on a West Coast America whilst the engine of the game itself will be GTA V.

Also, @Liam_Airey you’re using anything that unrealistic in the server to try and justify the addition of snow. I don’t agree with half of what you said, I’ve directly said multiple times that entry fees are retarded. It doesn’t mean I’m going to drop my standards to add something even more ridiculous just because there’s a few unrealistic elements to the server that shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Regardless of our personal feelings on snow, it does exists in this universe, has existed in its real life counterpart on very rare occasions and comparing it to Mary Sue/Gary Stu extremes like role-playing as Michael, a Balla or Superman is neither fair or apt.

While the community decided the playground will be West Coast America, the community is also having a discussion right now on whether or not it should snow this year.  As with any community in and out of gaming, it's ever-evolving and relies on membership involvement on all decisions, major and minor, before the powers that be make their final decision.  Shooting any discussion down with the idea that entertaining it will always snowball into rampant coke-binge RP or players running around as major lore figures is a bit counterproductive.

This will be my last reply because this is going nowhere but whats with the trying to guilt people while questioning their intentions for playing the server? 

Wouldn't players pushing for an event which brings in new and different RP be better for a RP SERVER compared to how much damage weapons would do in a shootout? I feel like MORE people crying about how much damage weapons do in shootouts would be more of a concern then people liking the idea of some unique RP, but yeah, sure, half of the people wanting snow are only here for "free roam with a tiny bit of roleplay".

Also wouldn't you rather have people who are closely knitted and run factions be the ones to reply to your FM topics? You're forgetting not all of us run factions or even plan to, so why would you want more feedback when ultimately it'd be pointless? 

Yeah, allowing the admins to change their skins to apes and running around the server roleplaying a scene from Rise of the Planet of the Apes would be new and unique roleplay too.

It doesn’t mean it should happen nor is it realistic for it to happen. Unique roleplay is misused, just because something is unique doesn’t make it right or realistic to do so.

1 hour ago, TheAlcoholic27 said:

Rockstar added snow into the GTA:Online portion, which is not to be taken seriously as a portrayal of the universe. There is no snow in the single player area of the game outside of cheats/mods. Everything else in its SP portion refers to the state having a similar climate; with many mentions of the heat, humidity and the threat of a water shortage.

Michael confirms this in the first ever trailer for the game:

"Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather. Or the... Ah, I don't know, that thing. That magic."