Choose new blips colors! Map revamp?

Nervous

As the roleplay jobs with in-store employees are being actively developed, It is also the time to revamp the blips colors.

Our current map is a massive clusterfuck due to random blips color decision made by myself during development.

I need a revamp of the colors and while I appreciate a good harmony of colors, I am shit in designing this harmony.

All players need to be able to immediately see "active" roleplay businesses (aka an employee is in it roleplaying) on the map, so I was thinking of modiying all businesses icons to gray ones, and green for active ones.

As for other blips, I'm going to need some ideas for each type!

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 3

Definitely. Being able to see which roleplay businesses are open and which are closed between grey and green would be lovely. 

The fire icon for brewery is always a bit confusing. I don't really see why fire would be associated with a brewery, other than any other business that involves heating products. Personally when I see a fire icon, I think of something Fire Department related.

But I like the current Fire Department fire station icons because they are in keeping with the Police Department's police station icons - a badge with an object on it. So I'm not sure what you'd change the brewery to, unless you can find a symbol for alcohol that's not like a wine glass? 

I think factory could be changed to a different icon. While 'F' makes sense for Factory, it's not in keeping with the other businesses which use graphics instead of letters. But then, would you be able to find a graphic icon that looks like a factory? 

I did notice that the mask store in Mirror Park has a white icon, in Vespucci it has a purple. This could be changed so that both are purple? 

But to be honest, a lot of the icons do make sense.

I just find all the different colors a bit confusing. One color for them all, and then a few differences would be nice.

Say grey for them all, but green for roleplay ones that open. For public service ones like police, fire, hospital, license...etc. I think the way they are now is good. 

Pretty much every icon makes sense. It's just the colors. 

Edited by Cobra
  • Upvote 1

As opposed to having the pause menu map come up with blips (which some could view as metagame, despite it being handy) is it not possible that we could perhaps leave the blips out and maybe even make players navigate by using an ingame GPS?

So for example, we remove the ability to use the mini-map (if it’s even possible) and then allow players to purchase a GPS (which can be stolen from an inventory) and that’s the only time a mini-map will pop up on the player’s screen for use of the GPS waypoint system to a business/area.

• Applaud 1

I think revamping the map icons is a must have! There's some that confuse me and some that I think work brilliantly.

I'm all for business icons to be grey and become green when active, I think this is a fantastic idea.

Something that has always confused me is icons that are the same but different colours, like the green police station icon in Paleto Bay. I think these icons should be the same colour at the very least to avoid such confusion.

Another thing I think the map icons would benefit from is relevancy. Like @Cobra said, the flame icon for the brewery doesn't make much sense and the factory deserves a factory icon. A bottle icon for the brewery would be better and more relevant and a square building with a tower would make for a better factory icon. The flame icon however could be used to identify locations of fires that have been reported by the fire script, which would avoid confusion when multiple fires happen.

Edited by SpartanD1994
10 hours ago, Cobra said:

Definitely. Being able to see which roleplay businesses are open and which are closed between grey and green would be lovely. 

To expand upon this, with the new business script/economy system on the way, it would be good to have a way to differentiate which businesses are currently active in terms of having employees to go and interact with. That would make the ability of finding roleplay far easier as in real life you don't have the issue of going to a Costa Coffee and finding that there's nobody there when it's open.

It could work something along the lines of closed businesses not appearing, script businesses without active employees that are open appearing greyed out, and then have a colour (either green or a colour based off a colour code for business types if people go for that) if they have an active employee to make finding roleplay and roleplay within businesses easier to find.

9 hours ago, Maca said:

As opposed to having the pause menu map come up with blips (which some could view as metagame, despite it being handy) is it not possible that we could perhaps leave the blips out and maybe even make players navigate by using an ingame GPS?

So for example, we remove the ability to use the mini-map (if it’s even possible) and then allow players to purchase a GPS (which can be stolen from an inventory) and that’s the only time a mini-map will pop up on the player’s screen for use of the GPS waypoint system to a business/area.

This would definitely be something good to work on in the future and implement alongside the new script. Currently the IG GPS needs work, it's far too expensive at $10,000 and is directly tied to a vehicle. It's too hard to enter business names into due to case-sensitivity and you needing to get the name 100% perfect. Ideally either the GPS or the new phone script could have something like when you look for certain businesses on Google Maps, e.g. 'all,' 'restaurant,' '24/7,' etc.

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

The fire icon for brewery is always a bit confusing. I don't really see why fire would be associated with a brewery, other than any other business that involves heating products. Personally when I see a fire icon, I think of something Fire Department related.

But I like the current Fire Department fire station icons because they are in keeping with the Police Department's police station icons - a badge with an object on it. So I'm not sure what you'd change the brewery to, unless you can find a symbol for alcohol that's not like a wine glass? 

I think factory could be changed to a different icon. While 'F' makes sense for Factory, it's not in keeping with the other businesses which use graphics instead of letters. But then, would you be able to find a graphic icon that looks like a factory? 

I did notice that the mask store in Mirror Park has a white icon, in Vespucci it has a purple. This could be changed so that both are purple? 

But to be honest, a lot of the icons do make sense.

I just find all the different colors a bit confusing. One color for them all, and then a few differences would be nice.

Say grey for them all, but green for roleplay ones that open. For public service ones like police, fire, hospital, license...etc. I think the way they are now is good. 

Pretty much every icon makes sense. It's just the colors. 

We'd love to change up the icons if there's other ones that makes more sense! 
Here's a list of blips if you wish to browse through them and find new ones for the factory and brewery. It's highly appreciated.

EDIT: Woops here's the link https://wiki.rage.mp/index.php?title=Blips

How about simply removing all the irrelevant icons from the map and coloring active & open businesses green so players can easily notice them? Here's a brief example of what I mean, took me a couple of minutes to get this done so bare with me:

3YLielE.png

What I suggest is basically keeping all of the map icons the same black & white color and highlighting the establishments relevant to the player - that includes player owned properties and open businesses across Los Santos. An open business can easily be determined by the status of the property's doors - if they're locked that means the business is closed, and same goes the other way around. Another option would be allowing the business owner to /togglebusiness or any other suitable command to open / close the establishment and thus control its icon's color on the map.

Yeah and can we please hide the Swat Training Rooms from the map as well or make them togglable, it's annoying having to scroll through all of them. As for colours, I agree, businesses that are open and operating should be more bright and obvious to a player.

13 hours ago, Maca said:

this sounds like a great idea to me, the /gps system at the moment is kinda buggy and broken so if a system like this could be made rather than using blips, that'd be great