Official Status

Nervous

5a58e3392d9f7_logot1.png.877ea0581eaa5d4

Official Factions 

Here we go...

It has come to Faction Management's attention that it is time for an overhaul of the "official" system and general process for our quality factions. Before this happens, we would like to get the communities opinion prior to making a final decision. The question ultimately is this - Is it time to get rid of the official status? Now, before people go into melt down and start being negative, this is purely to get information and opinions before we DO make that final call, if we're unable to keep this civilized the decision will be made without community input so please do remember that before you post.

In addition, I would like to encourage people to post their reasoning behind a yes, no or maybe and include suggestions on how we go forward. If we keep it, what do you want to see? If it's removed, again, what would you like to see in replacement of the status?

If you do not wish to post and would rather put your suggestion across privately, please feel free to inbox me.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Long story short; Yes, it's time. With the current supplier system up and running smoothly, options to request properties and businesses through the construction system etc, the official status seems like a thing in the past which is no longer needed, in my opinion. 

Especially considering the track record of factions getting to that official status, and then simply coasting on that without doing much to improve afterwards. Not gonna mention any specific names here, but I can imagine that we all know at least one.

We had an interesting discussion on this a few months ago here:

The whole discussion raised several interesting points on the official system. I'll quote my opinion from it:

On 4/24/2018 at 7:37 PM, Pascal said:

There's potential to an 'official-less' faction system. With the way it works on most servers, there's usually a lengthy period before factions get bumped to official. With an 'official-less' system, factions can get judged on merit relative to what they've done recently. Groups could work hard on their RP towards a specific goal and apply for a certain thing (i.e. gun warehouse), which guarantees more consistency in long-term. This creates constant incentive to create quality - whereas currently once 'you're official, you're official', there's no guarantee they'll work as hard once they have the (often) permanent official status. 

As it stands factions that are deemed 'better' (official) usually have to be here for a long period of time. New factions can show up, create incredible RP in a short space of time, but not be able to get the full benefits a faction can get for a long period. Imagine a scenario where a really good faction showed up, and the next official review or w/e wasn't until July - they'd miss out on a lot of potential RP for a long time. With this system, big impact factions could simply apply for benefits and use their RP threads as a justification. This could really change up the pace of the server - one week one faction has a very comfortable monopoly on the arms trade, then a high quality faction springs up and within two weeks has its own arms operation competing, because they've had the chance to apply direct instead of have to wait for official. 

So - by removing official, the need for a constant strive for quality could be created, as if benefits were split into individual applications, factions would need to put in solid effort to work towards them, rather than put solid effort for a short period of time, getting official, then never needing to bother again.

Supplies and other benefits could be done on a recurring basis, to motivate those to work for them. Instead of a permanent pinned thread for official factions, factions could be pinned for a duration of a month if they're striving to be the best quality, and if they fall off, they don't get awarded with another months worth - giving a constant motivator to keep working to being the best.

I think it's an interesting idea and it's worthy of trying. The previous thread covered the topic quite well.

Edited by Pascal
  • Upvote 2

I'll keep myself short.

In my opinion, 'Official Faction' should be a designation made for factions that play a major role in the server's canon, such as the LSPD/LSFD/LSCD and criminal big players at the scale of the former Black Rose Syndicate that actively influence almost every player on the server.

I believe the official status for factions has been playing an important role in this particular server and any other GTA roleplay community I have ever been a part of. It was not only encouraging faction leaders and members to provide an outstanding roleplay experience for the whole server, but was also offering a hope for affection and recognition server-wide upon achieving the official status. The perks that came with this status were a good incentive as well, so by the end of the day everyone was happy.

Now I am all up for new ideas regarding this subject, but on the same hand I am also interested to hear what is planned to be done in order to encourage players to roleplay in a faction and contribute towards its success. While the official status should not be the end goal it most often is so a proper replacement needs to be thought of.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Pascal said:

We had an interesting discussion on this a few months ago here:

The whole discussion raised several interesting points on the official system. I'll quote my opinion from it:

So - by removing official, the need for a constant strive for quality could be created, as if benefits were split into individual applications, factions would need to put in solid effort to work towards them, rather than put solid effort for a short period of time, getting official, then never needing to bother again.

Supplies and other benefits could be done on a recurring basis, to motivate those to work for them. Instead of a permanent pinned thread for official factions, factions could be pinned for a duration of a month if they're striving to be the best quality, and if they fall off, they don't get awarded with another months worth - giving a constant motivator to keep working to being the best.

I think it's an interesting idea and it's worthy of trying. The previous thread covered the topic quite well.

I really like this idea, I feel like individual suppliers are fine but the factions need a chance to shine and maintain quality roleplay and get benefit accordingly for it.  What Pascal suggested about making sure they maintain that quality and activity on a monthly base seems like a great idea. I just feel like factions should get rewards as well for providing roleplay and activity to the server, not only individual suppliers that are judged based on an application. What's better than following a faction thread and watching their development and making sure they're up to track with the server's standards. 

My "against" argument to remove the official status is that: I feel like the "official" status serves a goal for factions to achieve which is often done by boosting up their quality and quantity of roleplay, community engagement, and affiliation (working with other factions to reach the status by providing each other roleplay). Whilst there's support for all factions to obtain the official status, it can have it's cons too.

My "for" argument to remove the official status is that: Removing the official status from factions wouldn't cause much of a problem, it's just another label for the community to compare and favor one faction over another. However, with the removal of the official faction bit, there needs to be a replacement to reward factions who've been active and have shown a quality of roleplay that would attract new players to the server or the faction itself. Personally, I view the "officiality" as a reward or recognition so it would be nice to see a replacement if the official tag was removed. After all, it'll boost the morale of new factions so they don't have an official faction as their rival or something.

It's one of those topics where people's opinion may shift after some time.

9 minutes ago, Rekhoem said:

I'll keep myself short.

In my opinion, 'Official Faction' should be a designation made for factions that play a major role in the server's canon, such as the LSPD/LSFD/LSCD and criminal big players at the scale of the former Black Rose Syndicate that actively influence almost every player on the server.

Anything like BRS will never make it to official if the status was to remain - thank you for your input though.

• Upvote 1

With this removal of official, would it be a case of any prior faction loses all benefits or what? What is actually changing or is it just the name? Cause if its just removing the name, I'm all yes.

If it however removes factions support/ or script bonuses then I'm a firm nay until another solution is created.