Remove 911 from Off Duty legal faction members

5 hours ago, Franelli said:

As a matter of fact it reminds me of another forgotten suggestion: 

The one above sounds about right when I come to think about it. While the debate continues whether or not an off duty officer needs to receive dispatch calls, I think we can all agree that a police officer who intentionally switched his radio off should not. Being off duty does not necessarily mean the officer does not have the department radio in his possession - so calls may still go through. However, if the radio is switched off that would be the end of it.

If PD is like FD, only command + members can carry their radios off duty. Taking them off duty would likely require a request of corruption perms. But in that case the potential of doing a toggle instead wouldn't be a bad idea. But it can still risk the potential of meta game and/or the promotion of people staying on duty. I think it's better to develop the character on and off duty. It's been nice to experience some out of FD time, but like today my chat was spammed with 911 calls, seeing as they spammed it.

There is quite an issue at hand where I've noticed some people showing up to scenes while off duty and can claim coincidence that they show up, but at times there are the moments in which one knows that they're guilty of just driving by a scene because they saw it on the niner. I myself do it here and there when I'm bored and driving around. The sense of ceaselessness provides a unique experience to the RP server as it is. If in a situation there is not enough people, or a niner isn't being answered, a member of Command + who carries their radio off duty is allowed to page people in that situation while they're off duty. This again is as far as I know, seeing as I am speaking from FD's angle. We can page off request, but I'm sure there is limits to it.

@Cobra offers a good point about having a scanner/radio that you can purchase or download app(( I know you listen to it IRL, silly boi)) and it is actually interesting. But in the case I do believe that in the end it is safer to prevent any risk of metagame, seeing as in reality a civilian can get  those scanners and just listen in on us. I can't really imagine if our radios were public, seeing that criminals could easily evade danger and such. But that's a different subject completely. Toggling is an option, but I do believe I'll continue to push  for the removal from it being visible by off duty members.  

The entire 911 system as it is needs a revamp because it isn't fit for purpose anymore (except for the 911 map, that's class).

Realistically, 911 calls would not be able to be picked up by anyone unless they have a direct line into the telephone network, and it would be encrypted to all hell so you wouldn't be able to pick up on calls for data protection reasons. With respect to hearing the actual transmission, that's fine as it's sanitized (and some frequencies aren't encrypted in the US, but definitely not in the UK!) but at the end of the day this is a game and some sort of arbitrary line needs to be drawn in the sand as to what we can and can't do.

I think at the end of the day, 911 calls should only be received when:

- You are on duty (pduty, fduty)

- Your radio is on, or you're in a police vehicle.

What I also did think of was a Discord bot for the appropriate servers (PD, FD) that would print the relevant 911 calls to a channel for a log of all calls. This would require a rework of the 911 script but I think that's on the books anyway.

If people are worried about there not being anyone to handle calls whilst you're off duty, then perhaps don't go off duty. I understand that it is selfish but at the end of the day you joined the faction to perform that role - shifting responsibility onto other people for not being on duty to accept it isn't fair on them either.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I've removed 911 from off duty members who do not hold leadership privileges in that faction, however I won't be pushing this to live just yet because there are a number of other changes that need to be made to the system to make it fit for purpose. If anybody does have any suggestions please let me know and I'll reopen the thread for discussion.