Road Tax -> Vehicle Insurance Overhaul

Short description: Remove road tax, replace it with insurance policies.

Detailed description: As it stands, players need to renew their road tax every week or so as a percentage of the car's cost. Whilst I understand this is a money sink and ensures people can't drive round cars they can't afford, I think road tax is the incorrect way to go about it.

People would have to pay road tax, however it would be an occasional thing (every 10-12 paychecks?) as opposed to a weekly thing. If your vehicle is destroyed game-wise, or drops below a certain health (? - the specifics would have to be worked out here due to desync) then your car would be unavailable for X time whilst the insurance company gets it repaired or whatever, and then your premium goes up.

Commands to add:

Unsure. Would have to be decided on.

Items to add:

See above.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

If insurance policies were to be implemented, this opens up the possibility for player-run insurance firms leading to competitive prices and more legal competition (over pricings, courtesy cars, et cetera) than just "who owns the Vanilla Unicorn". This would also open up possibilities for players to roleplay non-insured drivers; exchanging of insurance details properly at an incident, et cetera and provides more room for the police to investigate vehicle-enabled crime.

Additional information:

Agreed with above. It just makes more sense, and if people don’t like the idea of changing it because of the “luxury car” dilemma, then have both implemented, but have one be significantly cheaper than the other so as to not bleed players dry for their cars. 

Road taxes aren't called road taxes here. They're the fee you pay to renew your license plate registration and get new tags every year. You can be fined for having expired tags IRL just like you can be fined for not having paid your IG road tax.

I think adding a system for vehicle health and insurance premiums is just over-complicating it..

Supporting this for sure. However, I did like the money sinking and thought it was a clever way to introduce vehicle 'upkeep' costs.

Why stop at vehicles, though?

Business and personal property insurance plans could also be made available through player firms. Such insurance could protect you from theft up to $X. It might not be super relevant right now, but as more physical items are added to the game i'm sure it could be. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Nervous locked this topic
  • 6 months later...