A better Anti-AFK Script

Shinto

I'm getting tired of being PM'd by an admin when I RP on the spot for more than ten minutes or w/e the timer is. Instead of using player movement as a way to catch AFK people, which can be easily abused. Please put in a typing based anti-afk script.

So: Instead of using a movement based AFK timer, implement a typing based script along with it or replace it entirely. Notifying admins if a player hasn't been typing for 5-10 minutes instead of not moving.

Benefit: No more annoying PM's for players wishing to RP in a single location for extensive periods. Because it's really frustrating having to constantly be PM'd by an admin "AFK?" when I'm sitting somewhere and RP'ing on the spot. :L

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Humour said:

Could be  a simple "keep your chatbox open and don't get detected" against that again, however.

Nope.
Text based AFK detection systems look for messages that have been sent, not for the chat box being open. Therefor, a player would have to send a command through such as a /me or anything as such.
For example: Humour RP's in a bar, sat on a stool at the bar itself. He sends a /me through for drinking a beer. That resets the afk timer. He then however, goes AFK and doesn't send any messages through for (say) 10 minutes, which results in him being detected by the AFK script and being automatically kicked.

What if you're not typing in the chat box, but driving around? It's fairly common to be running, driving around, customizing your character, waiting for rp somewhere, or just sitting still on FD/PD patrol for more than 5 minutes without having to type something.

I still don't think automatic kicks should be a thing. Someone checking in to see if you're actually AFK is always best..

edit: what about a mix of the two? What about making it mark you if:

- you haven't moved in more than an hour

AND

- you haven't sent any kind of text, command, or arrow key input in more than 30 minutes

Edited by Havana

What we need to do is figure out what we're trying to accomplish exactly - sure, we're trying to kick people who're AFK, but why? I've yet to hear a particularly compelling reason apart from wanting to avoid paycheck farming. I'll be honest though - I'm not particularly concerned about that with the sheer lunacy of the paychecks in legal orgs. Any attempt to balance the economy without addressing that is disingenuous.

So honestly? Let people /report others who are AFK, then they can get a PM, then they can be kicked.

Alternatively, if you're still so worried about farming paychecks and like the current system, take the current AFK detection script and have it cut a player's net income in half rather than inform the admin team someone might be AFK - with the caveat that if someone is in the same spot for two hours at a time, they can get a ping from the admin team rather than after 30 minutes.

The AFK flagging system is actually based on multiple things, not just movement. I've been wanting to change it for a little while due to the spam it creates for admins when multiple people are AFK.

My idea: Instead of sending an alert to admins, the player gets a notification and they have to type a command (let's say /resetafk [random number that appears on the screen]) to reset their AFK status. Leave your thoughts below.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Maple said:

My idea: Instead of sending an alert to admins, the player gets a notification and they have to type a command (let's say /resetafk [random number that appears on the screen]) to reset their AFK status. Leave your thoughts below.

This way can be possibly prone to abuse via Auto Hot Keys and with your chatlog archiver.

EG: Get the AHK to read for 'ResetAFK ###' and it'll type the command in. 

Or maybe have the number appear on the screen like this for a few moments

255a1a46b2.png

• Upvote 1

I mentioned this before somewhere else: in other games the /resetafk thing works. Right now it probably is terrible for admins to be manually checking for AFK, plus it feels quite invasive. Anything that can be Auto Hotkeyed if you put your mind to it anyway. 

All for the suggestion Maple made - automating these sorts of things is a no-brainer, and if someone is willing to write a script to get the random number string generated by the proposed AFK script, that can be punished as a more serious infraction. Throw in the occasional question to throw a script off ("what color is the sky?") and you're good to go.