A better Anti-AFK Script

Shinto

One thing is for sure. Having a completely automated script would be better for everyone. But having the notification and then requiring a player to type out the /resetafk command would also be a bit annoying, though it would be better by far. In any case. Having the Anti-AFK scripted to be based more on text is the way to go imo. Even if you do drive around a lot to pass the time and such, you are bound to type a command of sorts.

You can't possible expect to create a system which can not be bypassed by an external tool / software. I believe a simple timer that would monitor the player's movements & chat interactions is sufficient enough. If admins catch a certain player abusing the system by using an external software such as AHK - his game access will simply be revoked.

What about having to retype a sentence that appears on the screen, but with a twist?
Let's say it appears like this:

Anti-AFK: Are you there? Type /resetafk followed by the sentence below, but without the word in red.

Anti-AFK: Your sentence is "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

For the aforementioned example, the user would have to type: "/resetafk the quick fox jumps over the lazy dog"

The colors would be randomized and would try to render any automation useless (notice how the word red has a blue color and multiple colors appear in the sentence)

The automated kick would happen after 2 failed attempts or if 2 minutes pass without any attempts from the player.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1
Just now, Maple said:

What about having to retype a sentence that appears on the screen, but with a twist?
Let's say it appears like this:

Anti-AFK: Are you there? Type /resetafk followed by the sentence below, but without the word in red.

Anti-AFK: Your sentence is "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

For the aforementioned example, the user would have to type: "/resetafk the quick fox jumps over the lazy dog"

The colors would be randomized and would try to render any automation useless (notice how the word red has a blue color and multiple colors appear in the sentence)

The automated kick would happen after 2 failed attempts or if 2 minutes pass without any attempts from the player.

Thoughts?

You'd have to colour in every word differently because otherwise the bot will parse the coloured words and try them one by one.

Even better - have it on a CEF, not in a chat window so it can't be parsed?

There is a solution to people who try to bypass AFK scripts, quite a severe punishment is often given to people on other servers who do such things. Of course, with an automated Anti-AFK script, people will look and probably find ways to bypass them, hence it will still require admins to occasionally check up on people through spectating. The idea Maple has put forth with the sentence is okay I suppose, not a fan of it personally but it's better that the current system, so long as that stuff doesn't pop up every 10 minutes. BUT -- I'm not going to be picky about it. I simply want the /pm's from admins gone, since I've had cases where I forget I have to type /pma instead of just /pm and get kicked because of it :L

Edited by Shinto

Or just get active admins that know how to admin. Lol. I don't feel like the current system is bad.

Admins shouldn't be PM'ing you, though, in my opinion.

They should teleport and check out what's going on once they receive the notification for AFK players.

Then - if they see no movement or text updating, take the appropriate steps.

Edited by AnthoyDebowe

Maple's suggestion is a good one, because when I'm RPing for like 3 hours straight (LSPD and off-duty) I get super bored of getting PM'd multiple times by admins asking if I'm AFK when I've been consistently churning out /me's, I just haven't had much need to move. I'm sure Keane and Mike especially are bored of having to constantly PM me, too. It was the same when my character was a DJ and movement was minimal, but at least then I had access to /resetafk to avoid wasting an admins time. 

it's not a massive issue, it's just annoying, and getting kicked for dipping for a few moments to make a coffee or whatever when i've been constantly typing away before that is trying at best. ?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...