[LSFD] Civilian Employment Opportunities?

Lionhearted

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 11:05 PM, Vitta said:

The first and foremost intention for the civilian-employment role must be properly introducing your faction to the community. Unfortunately, most of the players have bias for firefighting role-play and consider it as stagnating given the nature of 'Grand Theft Auto' — a heavy action-based game. If you introduce ranks in a strict non-firefighting fashion without offering them a potential full-time employment in ~2-3 weeks, your members will run out of their motivation in long-run. Instead, they would prefer to develop their characters in organizations that provide them the opportunity to rank up, earn more and build reputation.

The friendly environment and a closer-look to the faction's role-play will eventually attract part-timers to try out the full-time role, thus you kill two birds with one stone. The FD often needs additional manpower to dispatch variety of units in field, respond the scenes in timely manner or efficiently divide the crew in different roles (TD, FMO, METRO etcetera). Enforcing all part-time roles to be non-firefighting specific would only welcome 'insiders', not members. And, the process would only repeat as they come and go. To avoid potential issues, I would highly recommend you to allow transfer: If part-timers enjoy their time in the faction and interested to pursue a role in firefighting, offer them a transfer request without forcing them to apply through recruitment in a certain given time deemed by the upper echelons of your faction. That would be a win-win strategy.

However, players who have no absolute interest in firefighting or its' entities must be taken into account to keep the numbers satisfied. Separate the part-time positions into two different sections and assign individual tasks:

1. Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that have direct affiliation with the main role-play theme of your faction. If performance-meter is passable, members can be offered full-time employment after completing the necessary Training Division requirements.
  2. Non-Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that does not allow a transfer to any full-time role of the LSFD. 

For roles:

1. Operations Engineer/Maintenance (4): Responsible for operating all vehicles including Aircrafts. Their roles may vary from filling gasoline to technical issues of engines. This role is firefighting specific.
  2. Mechanic (4): Responsible for painting, towing and all on-scene needs of the department vehicles. Needs a clear understanding and proper introduction of the units. This role is firefighting specific.
  3. Psychologist (4): Responsible for the mental-health of the department employees. The said-employees seeking help must be monitored during their sessions provided by the department sheets. This role is non-firefighting specific.
  4. Fire Administrator (1): Responsible for managing all the accounting data of the department. Their role may vary from the distribution of employee paychecks to categorizing the department vehicle budgets for Government. Should the role is assumed by (High-)Command, Lawyer (1) can be in reserve. This role is non-firefighting specific.

Sorry to get back to you so late, I've been on an LOA for the past few weeks ?

Those however are indeed very good suggestions for roles and I'll most definitely see a fair few of them through, perhaps map them out and think of ways to incorporate them into the LSFD as well as provide progression for people within the roles so that they can develop their character as well as their career.

It would be interesting to see businesses opening that offer mechanic, psychology and lawyer services to multiple agencies; rather than being tied to one faction which could limit the amount of traffic they receive. Especially for roles such as psychologists since I'm hoping the frequency of faction members roleplaying deteriorating mental health is fairly low.

Not sure, perhaps development wise, they can start their career in the Fire Department? Love this concept by the way ?

• Upvote 1
On 12/6/2018 at 3:05 PM, Vitta said:

The first and foremost intention for the civilian-employment role must be properly introducing your faction to the community. Unfortunately, most of the players have bias for firefighting role-play and consider it as stagnating given the nature of 'Grand Theft Auto' — a heavy action-based game. If you introduce ranks in a strict non-firefighting fashion without offering them a potential full-time employment in ~2-3 weeks, your members will run out of their motivation in long-run. Instead, they would prefer to develop their characters in organizations that provide them the opportunity to rank up, earn more and build reputation.

The friendly environment and a closer-look to the faction's role-play will eventually attract part-timers to try out the full-time role, thus you kill two birds with one stone. The FD often needs additional manpower to dispatch variety of units in field, respond the scenes in timely manner or efficiently divide the crew in different roles (TD, FMO, METRO etcetera). Enforcing all part-time roles to be non-firefighting specific would only welcome 'insiders', not members. And, the process would only repeat as they come and go. To avoid potential issues, I would highly recommend you to allow transfer: If part-timers enjoy their time in the faction and interested to pursue a role in firefighting, offer them a transfer request without forcing them to apply through recruitment in a certain given time deemed by the upper echelons of your faction. That would be a win-win strategy.

However, players who have no absolute interest in firefighting or its' entities must be taken into account to keep the numbers satisfied. Separate the part-time positions into two different sections and assign individual tasks:

1. Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that have direct affiliation with the main role-play theme of your faction. If performance-meter is passable, members can be offered full-time employment after completing the necessary Training Division requirements.
  2. Non-Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that does not allow a transfer to any full-time role of the LSFD. 

For roles:

1. Operations Engineer/Maintenance (4): Responsible for operating all vehicles including Aircrafts. Their roles may vary from filling gasoline to technical issues of engines. This role is firefighting specific.
  2. Mechanic (4): Responsible for painting, towing and all on-scene needs of the department vehicles. Needs a clear understanding and proper introduction of the units. This role is firefighting specific.
  3. Psychologist (4): Responsible for the mental-health of the department employees. The said-employees seeking help must be monitored during their sessions provided by the department sheets. This role is non-firefighting specific.
  4. Fire Administrator (1): Responsible for managing all the accounting data of the department. Their role may vary from the distribution of employee paychecks to categorizing the department vehicle budgets for Government. Should the role is assumed by (High-)Command, Lawyer (1) can be in reserve. This role is non-firefighting specific.

I like this idea. If FD is to introduce civilian roles, there should be some mechanism in place to allow for easier transfer to full-time firefighting roles. I also feel like this would need to be introduced in steps. Maybe add a psychologist, lawyer and maintenance roles to start off and see how public interest holds up in first recruitment. I feel like if we overdo it with the amount of roles available, that there will probably be vacancies for some roles as people will probably be applying to the ones that seem the most interesting. I definitely agree with the psychologist and probably lawyer roles. With firefighting being a high stress job, it would make sense to have easy access to a psychologist for employees, and having this role would help out with that. The lawyer role would also be good to have in terms of the fire code and just working with the department. 

That being said, I don't think some of the other proposed positions would stick (public relations staff, accountant, locksmith, etc.) I feel like the best positions to offer would be the ones that can produce different RP situations and not become stagnant. Not sure how long someone would be willing to RP an accountant or locksmith before wanting to transfer or leaving quitting. But psychology RP can offer some very unique situations and would be a pretty fun position to have. Intentionally the same for having a lawyer position.  - Basically, we should be really careful which positions we offer as I feel like if we offer too much too fast, they just won't get filled.