[LSFD] Civilian Employment Opportunities?

Lionhearted

37 minutes ago, Koko said:

I'm preparing a proposal to make a Mental Health resource that is aimed at First Responders and is attractive to them to use, since in First Responder culture it's not easy for them to use these resources for a variety of reasons. One of the big ones I'm working now is how to manage the records of PD and FD members that seek help with the service so they can be assured that their employment isn't at risk on account of what they say or discuss. 

It's interesting so far! But yeah, onto the topic, give us more jobs you'd like to see!

People with food trucks, come visit us to sell us lunch!

This here is one of the biggest stigmas with mental health in my opinion. Someone I work with is suffering through this as they recently attended a cot death however they don't want to make a big deal out of it as they're only in their probation and don't want to be fired for saying they're having nightmares, etc about the incident.

Having an external, anonymous directory that's subject to doctor-patient privilege is essential - and it's a shame we don't have anything like HIPAA in this server.

On 11/21/2018 at 5:41 PM, Koko said:

Me being a Psychologist IRL, I've already offered to start slowly but steadily to work on a mental health service to offer for starters to both FD and PD, as mental health issues are a very present theme in the RP for many of our characters there, but here are other options:

• Accountant - Particularly relevant with the new tax changes, if people are quite into spreadsheet RP.
  • Mechanic - We crash our ambulances more than we'd like to admit. Whoopsie!
  • Lawyer - Someone to keep on retainer, not necessarily within the Department in a permanent position.
  • Maintenance work/Janitor - I love people doing simple, colorful RP like this, gives a lot of life to have someone like that around.
  • Locksmith - Because we don't always have to kick doors down I guess.
  • Fire Alarm technical support/installation - For when the Fire Alarm system eventually comes.

These are some I can think of off the top of my head!

I haven't got a clue how the LSFD's finances work anymore what with all the changes. An accountant would be nice.

As always people want to be a mechanic in GTA World (and just be off-duty 24/7) and we do have quite a few technical complications, so I'm all for that! 

Lawyer yeah we could have a law firm that we work with.

Janitor - hell yeah! Not sure how many would maintain this RP though, but if it means we got the lovable weird Mr. Skrimpy hanging around with his handlebar moustache and his mop then I'm all for it. 

I'd like it if we keep some of the jobs to the Firefighters too.

These following jobs are done by fire engine companies in real life: 

Locksmith - Fire apparatus have have their own special device key to open any kind of lock without breaking them. I just can't remember the god damn name. Used regularly for lock-out/lock in calls. @Lionhearted help me out with that name.

I'm worried if we have someone with this job who's not a firefighter, we'll just never get to use them because they may not be online - plus people can just call the locksmith rather than the fire department. 

Fire alarm technical support: - Fire alarms can be installed by the firefighting crews, it means people get to meet their local firefighters and we can do that while waiting for calls. 

11778164_web1_180518-BKN-zBrief-SoundTheAlarm-S.jpg

Edited by Cobra
On 11/24/2018 at 6:38 AM, Björk said:

We have someone interested in maintanance/janitor right now. So that would likely fill the fourth slot. 

Keep pitching ideas!

I'd quite like civilian staff for Public Relations. Working on press releases, articles, documentations, social media and overall assisting with public relations and promotion of the department. 

Public Relations Staff (PRS)

As oppose to Public Relations Officer (PRO) who are Firefighters in the division with public information capabilities. 

Edited by Cobra
7 hours ago, Cobra said:

I'd quite like civilian staff for Public Relations. Working on press releases, articles, documentations, social media and overall assisting with public relations and promotion of the department. 

Public Relations Staff (PRS)

As oppose to Public Relations Officer (PRO) who are Firefighters in the division with public information capabilities. 

That is in fact a good idea, it helps relieve our resources of stress too! Question is, are people interested in this sort of thing?

• Upvote 1

The first and foremost intention for the civilian-employment role must be properly introducing your faction to the community. Unfortunately, most of the players have bias for firefighting role-play and consider it as stagnating given the nature of 'Grand Theft Auto' — a heavy action-based game. If you introduce ranks in a strict non-firefighting fashion without offering them a potential full-time employment in ~2-3 weeks, your members will run out of their motivation in long-run. Instead, they would prefer to develop their characters in organizations that provide them the opportunity to rank up, earn more and build reputation.

The friendly environment and a closer-look to the faction's role-play will eventually attract part-timers to try out the full-time role, thus you kill two birds with one stone. The FD often needs additional manpower to dispatch variety of units in field, respond the scenes in timely manner or efficiently divide the crew in different roles (TD, FMO, METRO etcetera). Enforcing all part-time roles to be non-firefighting specific would only welcome 'insiders', not members. And, the process would only repeat as they come and go. To avoid potential issues, I would highly recommend you to allow transfer: If part-timers enjoy their time in the faction and interested to pursue a role in firefighting, offer them a transfer request without forcing them to apply through recruitment in a certain given time deemed by the upper echelons of your faction. That would be a win-win strategy.

However, players who have no absolute interest in firefighting or its' entities must be taken into account to keep the numbers satisfied. Separate the part-time positions into two different sections and assign individual tasks:

1. Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that have direct affiliation with the main role-play theme of your faction. If performance-meter is passable, members can be offered full-time employment after completing the necessary Training Division requirements.
  2. Non-Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that does not allow a transfer to any full-time role of the LSFD. 

For roles:

1. Operations Engineer/Maintenance (4): Responsible for operating all vehicles including Aircrafts. Their roles may vary from filling gasoline to technical issues of engines. This role is firefighting specific.
  2. Mechanic (4): Responsible for painting, towing and all on-scene needs of the department vehicles. Needs a clear understanding and proper introduction of the units. This role is firefighting specific.
  3. Psychologist (4): Responsible for the mental-health of the department employees. The said-employees seeking help must be monitored during their sessions provided by the department sheets. This role is non-firefighting specific.
  4. Fire Administrator (1): Responsible for managing all the accounting data of the department. Their role may vary from the distribution of employee paychecks to categorizing the department vehicle budgets for Government. Should the role is assumed by (High-)Command, Lawyer (1) can be in reserve. This role is non-firefighting specific.
  • Upvote 1
On 12/6/2018 at 11:05 PM, Vitta said:

The first and foremost intention for the civilian-employment role must be properly introducing your faction to the community. Unfortunately, most of the players have bias for firefighting role-play and consider it as stagnating given the nature of 'Grand Theft Auto' — a heavy action-based game. If you introduce ranks in a strict non-firefighting fashion without offering them a potential full-time employment in ~2-3 weeks, your members will run out of their motivation in long-run. Instead, they would prefer to develop their characters in organizations that provide them the opportunity to rank up, earn more and build reputation.

The friendly environment and a closer-look to the faction's role-play will eventually attract part-timers to try out the full-time role, thus you kill two birds with one stone. The FD often needs additional manpower to dispatch variety of units in field, respond the scenes in timely manner or efficiently divide the crew in different roles (TD, FMO, METRO etcetera). Enforcing all part-time roles to be non-firefighting specific would only welcome 'insiders', not members. And, the process would only repeat as they come and go. To avoid potential issues, I would highly recommend you to allow transfer: If part-timers enjoy their time in the faction and interested to pursue a role in firefighting, offer them a transfer request without forcing them to apply through recruitment in a certain given time deemed by the upper echelons of your faction. That would be a win-win strategy.

However, players who have no absolute interest in firefighting or its' entities must be taken into account to keep the numbers satisfied. Separate the part-time positions into two different sections and assign individual tasks:

1. Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that have direct affiliation with the main role-play theme of your faction. If performance-meter is passable, members can be offered full-time employment after completing the necessary Training Division requirements.
  2. Non-Firefighting Specific: Includes roles that does not allow a transfer to any full-time role of the LSFD. 

For roles:

1. Operations Engineer/Maintenance (4): Responsible for operating all vehicles including Aircrafts. Their roles may vary from filling gasoline to technical issues of engines. This role is firefighting specific.
  2. Mechanic (4): Responsible for painting, towing and all on-scene needs of the department vehicles. Needs a clear understanding and proper introduction of the units. This role is firefighting specific.
  3. Psychologist (4): Responsible for the mental-health of the department employees. The said-employees seeking help must be monitored during their sessions provided by the department sheets. This role is non-firefighting specific.
  4. Fire Administrator (1): Responsible for managing all the accounting data of the department. Their role may vary from the distribution of employee paychecks to categorizing the department vehicle budgets for Government. Should the role is assumed by (High-)Command, Lawyer (1) can be in reserve. This role is non-firefighting specific.

I really like this. Well thought out and specific to role.

It’s very nice to see the LSFD considering hiring non-fire personnel.