Add weather forecast

InsolitumIn

Short description: Add a command that'd describe curent day's or even week's weather.

Detailed description: Adding a command/commands in game that would display what weather it is right now or today, perfectly with an option to see it for few days or a whole week ahead. For example typing /weather now/today/week would display messages like "Weather now: 16 °C; Sunny;" or "Weather today: 12 °C; Rain 8PM to 3AM." Even getting some weekly forum posts from faction like Weezel News about following week's weather would work and really help.

Commands to add: 

/weather now - displays a chat message on screen about current weather. Example: "Weather now: 16 °C; Sunny."

/weather today - displays a chat message on screen about ongoing day's weather. Example: "Weather today: 12 °C; Rain 8PM to 3AM."

/weather week - displays a chat message on screen about ongoing week's weather. Example:

"Weather Monday: 25 °C; Sunny."

"Weather Tuesday: 9 °C; Cloudy. Rain 7AM to 1PM."

"Weather Wednesday: 16 °C; Sunny. Strong wind." and etc.

Items to add: N/A.

How would your suggestion improve the server? How many times during roleplay it suddenly started raining and you found yourself or anyone else doing: "/b rain?" or just standing in public place with a T-shirt saw someone in coat pass you? Probably alot, I sure did. And it is kinda weird when you look at it from realistic side. If it's like 25 degrees outside and this dude is dressed up like it's freezing, maybe he is having a flue or something or you perhaps it's you who is resistant to cold?

I feel like those things happen because when picking outfits for a day, you can't pay attention to the weather, you just pick something you like and don't give it a second thought. But it would be really nice enchantment of realistic roleplay if everyone could have the same idea of weather outside and base their attire on it. And it's not only about outfit. It would give more realistic feeling when planning hiking trips, outdoor parties, going to the beach or any other events and activities held in the open. 

I don't know how about everyone else, but before going out or planning some activities I do always check how weather is going to be, so I (and people we have discussed this before) felt like this kind of suggestion would make roleplay a little bit more realistic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Additional information: N/A

Edited by InsolitumIn
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

In full support. I'm currently working on a weather system for Los Santos based mostly on LA with some Orange County factors mixed in to compliment Blaine County. There was an idea in Weazel News in the last month about weather forecasts, you'll need to ask Mecovy about that one. 

RAGE sync still seems to be inconsistent with the weather. A good idea to play by is that unless the weather's officially declared in OOC chat by an admin, assume it's sunny. 

• Applaud 1

There seems to confusion about how we're roleplaying weather at the moment. Some people just go by what the weather is like around them so they set their character's outfits up to have huge jackets for the cold. Others go by the weather in the LA area which isn't too cold during the winter. Having a script to give out the weather at the time would really help everyone RP consistently.

The biggest example I can think of is snow. Some people have been RPing it being really cold and want snow. Others don't because they feel like the area the map is based on wouldn't have snow. It also wouldn't make sense to go from reasonably warm weather to the freezing temperatures that snow requires.

Having a script that shows what the weather should be like rather than having it decided by admins would be much better in my opinion. It also allows players to RP the weather appropriately. No more players in shorts asking why there's someone wearing a winter coat and vice versa.

1 hour ago, KarMagick said:

And a command to resync weather if that's possible? Trying to race while it's a hurricane on my screen, a sunny on the other person's screen, it's kinda hard.

Having this implemented would be pretty neat as long as the weather is properly synced for all players.