Rentals

Fernando

I'm not sure if I should report this as a bug or an actual suggestion to improve the system. But the thing is, rental vehicles are quite broken. So far I've noticed that either car rentals or taxis don't despawn when you disconnect from the server, even after a certain time. I mean, they should because the script doesn't require you to return your rental at any point, it just asks you to extend the time after 30 minutes. Second of all, ANYONE can use anyone's rental. You can litterally walk up to someone's rental car and take it as if it was yours. They aren't even personal, and that's an issue.

The way I see it, the rental system could be improved with some tweaks and additions. Here's my input:

First of all I think the prices should be raised a bit, considering the server's economy. A glass of Vodka in a bar is about $100, and so is a rental car for 30 minutes (????).

And when that's done, the system should be improved so that you HAVE to return your rental at the end of your desired time, and pay high fees for the damages done to the car (if any). If you decide to just log off you should pay an extra fee for having the company tow your car. Why is this fair? Because the decision to rent a car is entirely yours from the beggining, and so it is your responsability. If you want to disconnect you suffer the consequences.

People are using rentals to go from the rental place to a destination then they abandon the cars. Why? Because it's cheap and abandoning them has no consequence whatsoever which is very irrealistic.

I think the rentals need some changes otherwise they'll keep serving their only purpose that is unrealistic ooc transportation, whether you want it or not, it's the sad truth.

Some might complain that their cars spawn far from their location or they logged out in distant locations, but that's not an issue. There are means to get around San Andreas: taxis and whatnot. Rental cars shouldn't be a cheap and unrealistic method of transportation.

Edited by Fernando

If I could add onto that. Rentals are the perfect choice for crimes right now. Drive around a rental like an ass.. hold people up..  w/e and the best description you can give the cops is.. light blue car, with the plate 'rental'

I would suggest that all rental's should come with a unique plate. (RENT123) That way the cops have something to go on, maybe even give them access to 'rental records' cause... what company would rent a car without taking any kind of information?

If Bob robs someone using his rental, it should be almost instant for the cops to get his information.

Edited by Velora
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Tr1bal said:

Agreed. Higher script rental prices would even (maybe) spawn a player owned car rental business one day.

Yes! There's definitely potential for that. 

4 hours ago, Velora said:

If I could add onto that. Rentals are the perfect choice for crimes right now. Drive around a rental like an ass.. hold people up..  w/e and the best description you can give the cops is.. light blue car, with the plate 'rental'

I would suggest that all rental's should come with a unique plate. (RENT123) That way the cops have something to go on, maybe even give them access to 'rental records' cause... what company would rent a car without taking any kind of information?

If Bob robs someone using his rental, it should be almost instant for the cops to get his information.

I couldn't have said any better! Rentals are being abused on a daily basis, fault of which is the script. 

Something needs to be done. 

FOR a better rental system. Rentals are used unrealistically and to commit crimes.

Here's a suggestion to revamp the rental system:

- Make people rent the car for a certain amount of time, ie: 24h, 48h or 72h (etc) 

- The car shall be registered to the person for the police to search it up, could be registered as a location.

- We could add to the ability to return the vehicle before the location is over.

- May not rent more than a single car at a time.

- Higher price to rent, ie: $5,000 / day.

- You have to /vpark your car and use it carefully.

So people still can rent a car but also has the responsibilities of having a car. 

• 1 month later...

For the issue mentioned regarding everyone being able to operate anyone's rental - it should be up to the renting character to /lock the vehicle to prevent unauthorized access. The script should not support that kind of stuff. As for the prices and the length of the rent - these should indeed be modified.

While $100 doesn't really fit, raising the renting price to $5,000 is way too much in my opinion. I believe one of the key points that were taken into account while designing the system it giving new players the possibility to rent a vehicle in order to have a more convenient way of transportation around the city until they can afford to purchase their own personal vehicle. Judging by the fact new players are granted with a paycheck of $5,000 for every one of their first 40 hours on the server, this should not take long until they are able to purchase a proper vehicle, but until that happens they need to be able to afford a rental's fee.

I'm thinking of $2,000 for 24 hours. The system should also allow the player to log out during that period of time. Moreover, if a player doesn't return the rental vehicle to the location he or she originally rented the vehicle from, a small fee should be applied as a fine (let's say 20 percents of the original sum = $400). This would give players a reason to take the rental system more seriously.

• 1 month later...