Things the community can do to grow bigger?

Libra

I'm pretty sure from where I'm standing, what would make the server better is to open up opportunity to players with what we do have, to those that are active and have good intentions -NOW-, and then wait for 0.4 fixes and everything that comes with that when it comes.

There are a few groups of people doing their thing and its great, its just, we need more groups of people getting the opportunities to run with their unique ideas so those groups can all start intertwining and great compelling story-telling can then be crafted and take place. (its happening on a small scale but could be much bigger)

We as a server have a bunch of stuff that does work and loads of experience under our belts in the RP world, its just... script features from admins and effort from players needs way better co-ordination to get the results -WE ALL WANT-

It comes down to unique ideas from players being allowed to grow by getting in-game script/mapping support to offer incentives to others so they will come back and play and that equates to growth eventually.

EDIT forget about trying to mash players together on a map this size with our playerbase numbers by restricting scripting, it;ll never work and just make things STALE.

Edited by hectic
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, hectic said:

EDIT forget about trying to mash players together on a map this size with our playerbase numbers by restricting scripting, it;ll never work and just make things STALE.

I agree.  

Where there is something to do, people will come.  Trapping people in a confined area never works because all you're doing in trapping people in a confined area hoping it will force them to make something happen.

It doesn't take long at all to drive across the whole map.  On another server, I would run my character across the whole map.  Sometimes if a club opened, I would seashark in from Paleto Bay.

Another thing is the subway system and the railway system.  

We have this phenomenon when we enter a store at the blue circle, but if we walk out the door from inside we're somewhere else.  Can we use subways like that?  Can we have a blue circle that will take us to the next station?  Same with railways?  Then again, then even less people would be around outside, not even speeding by.

19 hours ago, Hollywood said:

I'd rather bring in 10-15 new faces that are hooked on the server than 50-60 new faces that will leave or go elsewhere within a week.

Absolutely right, and creating interesting things for them to do is the way to do it.  Things for them to discover, ways to get involved, ways to get started interacting, engaging rp.

If they don't get any of those things because the city appears deserted, they're going to spend their time somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's as easy as considering one thing to be the solution to not having 600/600 slots filled on the server. I think it's a compilation of different factors contributing to our current numbers, the growth we've experienced and the growth there is to come. First and foremost, the server has grown, will grow and will continue to grow naturally as people get their friends to play the game.

Are we currently experiencing a lull? Sure, maybe, but expecting everything to consistently grow exponentially is being hopeful and quite frankly unrealistic. The server over the past year has only gone through it's first stages; it's gotten a base support behind it and it has developed it's core systems. So far GTA:W is showing consistency, which is good. As long as it keeps going like this, new players will come.

I think that right now (yeah, the age old argument) GTA:W is being held back by external factors, such as the game client not being updated or maybe even the time of year. I think that it is imperative that just because we're not seeing the same growth as we saw in June and July, we stay calm and just ride the wave. Eventually, we'll go back up. Just keep building your factions, communities & relationships. In the long run, you'll reap the benefits from being here during this time.

4 hours ago, Big_Smokes said:

maybe even the time of year

It's an important factor. On most RP servers (no matter the game), there are "growth times" that occur at specific moments of the year, there are moments when you lose players, and moments when things are stable. Most of the time, you have a big growth from May to July-ish, you start losing players around September-October, and sometimes you acquire some players around the end of year/new year. Most RP servers I've seen so far followed that approximate pattern. 

Now, usually, when numbers aren't growing in spite of new applications, it means there is player churn. Some players try the server but don't stick around for long. Others have played for a while, but decided to stop for a reason. Knowing why you're experiencing churn is an extremely valuable piece of data, for a server (and even a gaming company). In fact it's why some of those companies sometimes send polls to players who haven't logged in for 2+ months, asking why they stopped playing. 

If a clear pattern emerges (like 95% of players saying "the potatoes are overcooked so I left the server"), it gives the admins and devs interesting insights and ideas to fix the issue (e.g.: cooking the potatoes less :p).

Edited by Topinambour