Upgrading a computer

Ace_

5 hours ago, Fremie said:

If it's a laptop those aren't customization-ready, if I were you I'd just buy a new one all together or did what I did and get a friend who knows how to build PC's to teach you and start off with the basics, that way you're prepared for your first build.

Yup, but keeping in mind the budget you set for yourself as well :)

• Upvote 1

I bought a prepaid for around 1.1k Euros.
wZFVrXM.png

def. going to upgrade my GPU in the near'ish future, could've built it yourself for a cheaper price, but w/e.

but yeah, I think you should start yourself off with a mediocre prebuilt at the very least, make sure it has a CPU socket of LGA1151, as that's the most common one amidst Intel processors(I5-I7s, I3-s use 1150 I think) I'd also opt for 16 gigabytes of ram, but 8 is also okay, shouldn't go any lower, though.

Edited by hank

If u want to upgrade ur computer you need to buy a new motherboard at the moment, otherwise, it's not worth it as your motherboard possibly has an am3 socket for your CPU and ddr3 instead of ddr4 for your RAM. 

You should also remember that in a years time the new CPU gen will have a new socket on the Intel side at least, not sure about AMD's ryzen and vega architecture. Best sockets available for the newest generation is am4 for ryzen cpu's and Intel's socket 1151 (remember that coffee lake is the latest gen and that it also goes under the socket 1151, but only fits with the coffee lake gen motherboards and not the old ones with the same name.)

Regarding ddr4 it also seems like there's a new socket (ddr5) for RAM might coming out next generation as well, but that's only rumors at this moment from the latest tech expo's as they've only shown concepts so far.

I would wait until January and see if anything new will be released during the las vegas Consumer Electronics Show.

Edited by Glenn.