[ROLEPLAY GUIDE] The Entrepreneur's Handbook

NOTE: this is was a guide that was recovered following the forum rollback in December. If this was created by you, please contact me so it can be assigned to your forum account.

The Entrepreneur's Handbook

(Under Construction   -  Created by me in 2013)

Intro
I had the idea of creating this small guide a while back, when I first initiated myself into the unknown and underestimated world of Legal Roleplaying, after a few failed experiences in the Illegal sector. I was stunned (to say the least) on noticing some of the behaviors of most of the people in the medium, and in a way it made me realize why people tend to shy away from Legal Roleplay.

From real state developers that use radios to communiacte with themselves, to the amazing amount of people whose wealth tends to appear from nothing to those wonderful guys that drive around in luxury cars and claim to be "millionaires", there's an awful lot that the most strict roleplayer could point his finger and laugh at. And most of the time, the most used excuse is "I didn't knew", and this guide is an attempt to teach people how to properly Roleplay people associated with the Business branch.

Part 1- Developing your Character

People often tend to forget about this particular important aspect. As in all branches of Roleplaying, steryoptical characters and general perfect personas are things to avoid, specialy in what comes to wealth.
In order to have a sucessful future in the area, your character must be a perseverant and hardworking man, willing to sacrifice his personal well being and leisure time to improve his business and his skills at it.

In my opinion, there are three main types of businessmen, which are very different between themselves:

Blue Collar- Often without higher education than a Highschool Diploma or even drop-outs from College, which either found sucess and recognition without a college degree.

Ex: Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs

White Collar- Often have a higher eduaction, being top of their class in College and than being invited at their graduation to work as interns in major corporations, climbing through the corporate hierarchy to sucess and recognition.

Ex: Warren Buffet

Google the names of these men, and find out more about their path to sucess. You'll often find the common characteristic of having to face imense setbacks and hardtimes, things that will make your character more interesting and deep.

The most common type of "millionaire" that we see in the ** servers follows this skeleton:

- Adquired his fortune either by stat-transfers, farming scripted jobs, recieving OOC donations from friends.
- Has a shallow and often heavily unrealistic story on how he adquired the wealth (Won the lottery, worked for many years as a Delivery Man, has a rich father.)
- Often spends his money on expensive stats like luxury vehicles or properties, for the purposes of wanting to appear a sucessful millionaire.
- Has poorly planned unrealistic business factions, which are only profitable by feeding of donations or intrest rates.

You'll want to stay away from the ^ skeleton as far as possible, or you'll simply be considered a statwhore. I've gathered some arguments from players who Roleplay personas with the behavior displayed above, and I found an easy way to refute their claims.

"My character was a associated with a street gang, but then left the life and became a sucessful entrepreneur"

Impossible, as your character would never be hired by any reliable firm/corporation with that kind of past, and considering that most modern corporations do background checks on their applicants, you'd never be more than a window washer or a janitor.
Even if you established your own business, you'd never be able to earn the respect of the remaining entrepreneurs, as you would always be judged by your past actions, rendering this backstory useless.

"I worked many years as a deliveryman/fisherman and I earned that money fair and square"

Considering the average salery of a delivery man, and adding taxes and all of that, you would hardly reach an acceptable ammount of wealth before the age of 60.

Part II- Financing and Starting Capital

As we saw earlier, most people tend to abuse OOC activities and privileges to give themselves a more easier start to their company, either by asking their friends to donate them money, or stat-transfering from other Alts. Both are heavily frowned upon by people who take their Roleplay seriously.

The right ways to this would be the following:

- Searching for a IC Loan, either to the bank or to a single person.
- Adverstising your idea and search for investers for it, either by performing ads or sending letters to known philantropists or entrepreneurs.

If you follow the above instructions, you'll surely be in the correct way to properly start working on your empire.

Part III- Chosing your field of investment

After you gather a respectable ammount of capital to begin a small business, you should start thinking about what your future plans and ideas for a business would be. In fact, most people tend to put this chapter ahead of the previous one, in order to plan what they need for their idea with more accuracy.

You should go for something that your character has knowledge/experience on, either gained by working in the said field or taking education courses on the matter. You'll rarely find a real estate de****per opening a nightclub on a IRL scenario or even the opposite.

All fields have their particular quirks and little details, and you should take some time to research in your desired field, and to harness enough information to allow you to carry out realistic roleplay in what you desire.

Edited by Atiku
  • Upvote 3