Proposed solution to the luxury cars epidemic. Registration, road tax and insurance.

We're currently seeing a huge increase in sports- and supercars being bought and owned. They're everywhere, even in low-income areas. It's unrealistic and it's immersion breaking when you see high-end cars abandoned in a crime infested hood. We also have a similar issue with players owning 10+ high-end cars, while at the same time RP'ing as a poor person.  Increasing the purchase price of the vehicles won't help, so simply making them more expensive won't make much of a difference. I believe adding re-occurring expenses would mitigate the issues. While this idea may not be original or new, I think now would be a good time to bring up the subject and have a discussion about it.

-Vehicle registration

Each vehicle should cost a percentage of the initial price to register.

Say a vehicle costs 200.000. Within 24 hours of the purchase, you would need to visit a DMV (license place) and register it. Should cost a percentage of the initial price, say 20%. Without a vehicle registration, the vehicle would have no license plate and therefore be ICly illegal to drive. If caught, the vehicle should be impounded until registration is paid + a fine. 

-Road tax

Each week a vehicle owner should be auto deducted an amount from their bank for owning a vehicle, regardless if they use it or not. In a perfect world the price should depend on C02 emissions, safety and horsepower, but to keep it simple, it should be a percentage of the original price. Perhaps an additional cost if the vehicle belongs to the "Super" or "Sports" class.  

A player can choose to unregister a vehicle to avoid that tax, but the vehicle would then be IC illegal to drive on public roads.

-Insurance

Each vehicle should be insured to be fully legal. A player can choose not to insure his vehicle, it would however be ICly illegal not to.

First-time offense would be a high ticket, say 10k.

Second-time would mean the vehicle would get impounded + a larger fine. 

As you’d still have your license plate without paying insurance, it may be a risk worth taking as it would require an officer to actively check if the vehicle is insured or not.

-Pros

-Encourages players to pick low-end cars, or cars that actually suits their characters

-Encourages selling off unused vehicles, as they will have a weekly expense.

-Increases the opportunities for illegal vehicle RP, as you can still drive without paying either of the things, however risking IC punishment. (Perhaps introduce fake plates?)

-Discourages having a garage full of high-end vehicles, as they will have weekly expenses regardless if you use them or not.

-Discourages the use of "stash-vehicles"

-Removes money from the server

-Renting out high-end vehicles for events would become financially viable

-High-end vehicles would become more unique, as fewer players would keep them

-Player-owned scrapyards could become a thing?

-Cons

-Some development time. I don't think it would be too hard to script, as it wouldn't require any menus or complicated processes, just math mostly. (and an MDC integration)

-Let me have it in the comments below

Edited by norrig
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

I really really like this idea. Maybe with the insurance part, it's done on the number of times you destroy your car. Say you can destroy it 5 times if you have insurance you can recover it at a fee, if not you lose it. Every time you destroy it your premium goes up a little bit. 

Also, the optionality of being able to register or not is good. Possibly we have a system whereby you only need to register for it to be road legal, people can choose not to register if they're going to keep it on private land/car park or in their garage. Something like that. 

Yes! I agree with every word in this suggestion. This makes a lot of sense, IRL it works like that and owning an expensive car is expensive as well. Also in my opinion, the more expensive the car, the more money it costs to fix it and upgrade it.

Just now, Aquila said:

I've got more to add but for now I want to add one thing, if it's not mentioned already. Altering the fuel system so that owning a super or sports car consumes more fuel. Adding options for petrol and diesel too. 

Or the fuel consumption can be like this: Each vehicle has a base fuel consumption. But this can be altered by speed, the faster you drive, the faster your fuel depletes.

Just now, Rozi said:

Or the fuel consumption can be like this: Each vehicle has a base fuel consumption. But this can be altered by speed, the faster you drive, the faster your fuel depletes.

Miles per gallon and such, yeah. If I remember right, super cars are more fuel efficient though I could be wrong. If we can't add drawbacks like fuel efficiency to super cars then there should be higher tax for owners of these vehicles. 

Just now, Aquila said:

Miles per gallon and such, yeah. If I remember right, super cars are more fuel efficient though I could be wrong. If we can't add drawbacks like fuel efficiency to super cars then there should be higher tax for owners of these vehicles. 

No car is going to be super fuel efficient if you floor it every time you drive it. Also periodic inspections would be nice as well. Without the inspection, vehicle has a chance to break down slowly, like break failure, engine stopping, leaks, etc.