Proposed solution to the luxury cars epidemic. Registration, road tax and insurance.

10 minutes ago, Law said:

I don't think there is "0 sense" to have plates if your vehicle is unregistered. Criminals may want to drive the unregistered vehicle like it's legal and avoid being traced whilst using the vehicle for a crime.

Or, people who don't think they'll get pulled over can drive the unregistered vehicle at a risk.

Fake plates yes, there can be a way to get fake plates like to steal them off vehicles or stuff, but just having plates even though the vehicle is unregistered makes 0 sense. You get the plates when you register the vehicle.

2 minutes ago, Rozi said:

Fake plates yes, there can be a way to get fake plates like to steal them off vehicles or stuff, but just having plates even though the vehicle is unregistered makes 0 sense. You get the plates when you register the vehicle.

You can print fake plates at like every corner shop, lol. 

I like the ideas in this thread, but what about faction cars?

On one hand, someone could use their car as a faction car to abuse the system if you make it so that faction cars are exempt. On on the other hand, some factions really don’t pull in enough to pay for their cars.

For example, I roleplay with Habeeb Enterprises. We all bought our own taxis and our own VIP cars, and the other two have buses as well. We like to pull out these cars when they’re needed, but easily couldn’t afford to keep them legal if we had to. 

I do do think that people driving around in very expensive cars that don’t fit their character is a problem since I’ve seen more than one thread highlighting the issue, but some expensive cars aren’t even flashy sports cars.

For example, one of my characters has a taxi, a Baller LE LWB, and a Hakuchou. I’d have no problem being charged a tax for my Hakuchou as it’s my personal vehicle that I always drive around on. My taxi though, I only use it to service other players. It has an RP reason to exist, but it’s rare that I make more than $2000 a week from it due to the fact that most people who take a taxi don’t have a lot of money. My Baller is in the same dilemma. It costed around 112k, but I rarely use it wnymore. It was supposed to be part of our Habeeb VIP thing but that never took off like it did on LSRP. I still keep it because we occasionally have events we can use them for, or sometimes I take taxi calls in it, but I’d never make enough to justify paying all those extra taxes. 

I don’t know if I’m being selfish here or not but I feel like some people’s “expensive” cars have a purpose RP wise. I don’t really think anything is expensive until it costs more than 150k but that’s my personal opinion. A permanent upkeep would make me sell those cars, but I don’t think that I’m doing harm by owning them. I think I use them to actually roleplay properly and they do fit in my wealth class RPly, so why can’t I keep them? 

In theory it seems cool, but it seems like it'd just be more of a punishment than any thing else for people that already own these high-end vehicles. It's already hard enough for people to sell the cars they don't want, and implementing this would only make it harder in that regard since not many people would want to take on the vehicle's expenses with the fancy new car. I don't think this'd be that good of an idea unless you'd be able to refund people for having these expensive cars before you added this. I don't think you'd need to push too much realism for a role playing server as a punishment for people improperly playing their characters.

As a second fix to people owning all these, why don't the Cops just start questioning and investigating where people are getting the income to own these cars when they don't have the jobs or residence to support it?

Edit: Ditto to what Shareef said.

Edited by Kurnos

2 hours ago, Kurnos said:

but it seems like it'd just be more of a punishment than any thing else for people that already own these high-end vehicles. It's already hard enough for people to sell the cars they don't want, and implementing this would only make it harder in that regard since not many people would want to take on the vehicle's expenses with the fancy new car.

That's the intention 

• Upvote 1

I absolutely agree with this suggestion, the only thing I would consider looking at is the fact that it happens every week. My main concern would be that if someone does not come in game for a few weeks or months and then have lost a significant amount of money it may decrease their chance of coming back to the server. Perhaps it should not deduct money if the player has not been on the server during the week?

• Upvote 1
Just now, Atiku said:

. My main concern would be that if someone does not come in game for a few weeks or months and then have lost a significant amount of money it may decrease their chance of coming back to the server. Perhaps it should not deduct money if the player has not been on the server during the week?

Valid point indeed, perhaps to keep it in the sense of "fairness",  a vehicle could auto un-register and have the insurance canceled after a period of inactivity instead. Same result but a more realistic/fitting way to reach it.