let's talk about discord moderation!!

Aquila

Clear as day that moderation on Discord's been so lax that people think it's okay to be bigoted.

Sometimes there are never any admins around to moderate the racism, homophobia, etc. Sure, there's testers around but they can't moderate the chat as far as I'm aware. Getting tired of posting complaints, so can someone/Nervous add appropriate Dyno bot filters, or you know, get people to moderate the chat more.

Having jokes and shit is fine, but being extremely edgy without a reason is just uncalled for. We're playing an 18+ game, so people should really be expected to not act like 8 year old keyboard warriors on Roblox. Raise awareness, Aquila for president.

• Upvote 1

Personally (as in speaking for myself), the only periods of Discord chat I partake in usually aren't moderated all too heavily and everyone seems to get along fine and have somewhat healthy discussions - sure, occasionally things get a little out of hand.
e.g - Someone completely butchers another users opinion on a topic via a misconception, strong language comes into play and such, but it doesn't last long at all and is usually nullified fairly quickly, either by changing the topic or people going quiet.
I noticed this has also happened in a fair few forum discussions, too.

I don't think trimming down personal freedom is the way to go about this at all - even if said countermeasures were to be put in place, things like this would still continue to happen. Why? It's the internet, there's all types of people, whether it be overly edgy, ignorant, blind or narcissistic, it doesn't matter. 

The main issue I see is that people don't utilise the #other chat alot of the time, it's been stated that if things like this were to happen, people should carry it over to that channel, as afaik there's considerably less moderation in it.
Maybe it's time to reinforce the idea of using that channel -- instead of trying to nullify the discussions completely, which won't work at all. Perhaps we could create a more obvious one, like #spam, #debate, #discussion(s) or whatever the staff team can think up, I'm not too good w/ ideas.

also: I do agree that racism/homophobia should be a rule that's enforced more than it is, the majority don't want to see that in 2018  and it's bad for image if it goes unpunished or unnoticed.

Edited by aloegarten
yes

The reason why I stopped following the Discord entirely is mostly because, well... It's a spamfest of stuff that looks edgy to those who post, and it keeps escalating until it becomes really pretty bad... Like "lol u fun fam" "LOL NO U" "LOL HITLER XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD". Well, except that very dialog took the involved people 65 lines (all posted within 45 seconds). 

To quote something I saw on another Discord:

GuffyBaguette.PNG

This is barely a caricature and this is pretty much what I see all day long on the GTAW Discord. I'm not against people finding it fun and enjoying it, but it will definitely push away other people. Like I said... It's not my thing, but that's not the real issue :p 

The issue is that it sometimes goes further than just "gently" mocking nationalities and there have been recurring moments where it went into some pretty bad racism ("BUT ITS JUST EDGY JOKE LULZ FAM XDDDDDDDDDDDDD" but yeah... No). 

7 hours ago, aloegarten said:

also: I do agree that racism/homophobia should be a rule that's enforced more than it is, the majority don't want to see that in 2018  and it's bad for image if it goes unpunished or unnoticed.

It already did some damage. I tried to recruit quite a few experienced players, who came from more mature communities than the GTA one, but they were completely thrown off and went full "fuck this shit I'm out" when seeing the Discord.

Edited by Topinambour
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Gryphboi said:

It's just a lil chat, you can always ignore/block people if they're beying annoying tbh.

It's that easy, I don't see the problem here. Admins can't always be looking at the chat 24/7. It's hard to enforce rules on a text-channel where a lot of people have conversations on.

I hardly see the need for bots, and most the time I've seen people use slur words like the n word, or just casual homophobia has been used purely comedic. And it goes to the saying that it's either all ok, or non of it is, obiously these people don't have racical or hompohboic intent, and if they did I imagine it would of been a hell of a lot more clearer as to who they where by the manor in which they use it. And I seriously doubt that people will be put off by seeing some of the shitpost in the chat, that's like 99% of every discord servers under the sun, if it really is that much of an issue then block the person, that way you won't see what they post anymore.

• Applaud 1