Using real life brand/model names in-game

Aquila

3 hours ago, Nathan said:

If you read I wasn't comparing Spain or France to any of the Gta cities, I was saying they co-exist in real life just like LA will. Why not just let people roleplay a car as a proper brand if they want to? Then you can drink all the Coca-Cola you so desire.

I think that thing is that there's a difference between roleplaying a car physically being a BMW when it is obviously an Elegy, even though it may be the same for Sprunk cans etc. Most of the times drinks are not physically there or are only roleplayed through /me's, so it is a very minor thing. Cars are much more obvious, also it can be confusing especially if someone sells his car, if someone places an add of selling his BMW, we wouldn't know which car he or she is talking about... maybe the person is talking about his bicycle which he is roleplaying as a BMW bike we wouldn't know.

I have nothing against it per se, but there's a difference between the two and some things just make more sense. Also I understand the point that if the other thing is allowed the other one should be allowed too.

Cars should be kept to what they are IG. 

Things that you don't really physically see like food, drinks, companies etc I think it's okay to use both IC and IRL brands. If someone wants to order a corona or a budweiser then so be it, let's RP it as such. If someone wants to order a pisswasser then they can have that also.

I myself RP that Rafi loves drinking Dr Pepper and eating at Panda Express soooo

4 hours ago, Nathan said:

If you read I wasn't comparing Spain or France to any of the Gta cities, I was saying they co-exist in real life just like LA will. Why not just let people roleplay a car as a proper brand if they want to? Then you can drink all the Coca-Cola you so desire.

It was quite literally a comparison. Obviously LA does not co-exist with LS, since LS is the literal (satirical) replacement of LA. Spain and France don't have these GTA versions/replacements. When did I say people aren't allowed to roleplay their car as a proper brand?

• Upvote 1

I agree that having LS and LA exist in parallel is kind of silly. LS is the GTA version of LA. There's no LA in GTAland. It's Los Santos. It makes no sense to when SA is meant to be SoCal with the serial numbers filed off, and it slots into the same rough location.  Note that this is an opinion and not official policy or anything, I speak for myself only here.

• Upvote 1

i feel that those reluctant to learn in game brands (that are stapled everywhere in the game, by the way, so there's no reason to not use them) and continuously use real life brands instead of its equivalent do so out of laziness or pride

i just flat out don't recognise real brands like mercedes or dodge because there is a clearly defined replacement for it in the game, drinks i'd probably give a pass to but not one of my characters will even recognise brands that there's an existing parody of, as lance said

i will say this though: locations are tricky, i do acknowledge liberty city's existence but there are locations such as long island or those north of manhattan like mount vernon or new rochelle as these weren't in gta 4, so sometimes it's difficult to stick the universe's parodies

also anybody remember when missi tried arguing that la and ls coexisted?

https://i.imgur.com/h1QaoL4.png

what a mess that was - los santos is los angeles' replacement, not sure how or why anyone would debate against this

Edited by shaobadman

Its these kind of arguments that I in an earlier post was worried about. Since there's such a big divide regarding whether or not to use IRL names over GTA names it only creates confusion and inconsistency when actually roleplaying with different people who have these different views. 

While I am all for creativity and diversity in roleplay, I think that replacing GTA content with IRL names is a poor shortcut to it, especially when they all have in depth stories that can be found on GTAWiki. I am all for adding content, but not replacing it. And since this has become somewhat of a major debate, I think it could be useful for this community to estabish some kind of rules OR at least guidelines to alleviate the situation.

Whatever the decision may be, I think it would be good to have at least a decision to ensure consistent and high-quality roleplay in the future, that way make sure everyone is on the same page and not take forum debates IG.

Edited by Arnzeal
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Arnzeal said:

Its these kind of arguments that I in an earlier post was worried about. Since there's such a big divide regarding whether or not to use IRL names over GTA names it only creates confusion and inconsistency when actually roleplaying with different people who have these different views. 

While I am all for creativity and diversity in roleplay, I think that replacing GTA content with IRL names is a poor shortcut to it, especially when they all have in depth stories that can be found on GTAWiki. I am all for adding content, but not replacing it. And since this has become somewhat of a major debate, I think it could be useful for this community to estabish some kind of rules OR at least guidelines to alleviate the situation.

Whatever the decision may be, I think it would be good to have at least a decision to ensure consistent and high-quality roleplay in the future, that way make sure everyone is on the same page and not take forum debates IG.

The confusion and inconsistency bit sums up the issue in a nutshell. I agree with your post.

18 hours ago, Arnzeal said:

You aren't replacing content though, you are adding it. Nobody is forcing you to RP your Sultan as a Subaru and you simply have the choice of being able to add more flavour to your roleplay.

Equally, the cars don't really don't have the depth required, for example, look at this thread for the Issi. It gives you basically no depth or information about the car, aside from how the engine is placed in the car and how many cylinders it has. Then compare that to the Issi's real life equivilant. In my view the difference is night and day, so it's more than understandable that someone may want to go really in depth with their car and use a real life brand.

11 hours ago, Aquila said:

The confusion and inconsistency bit sums up the issue in a nutshell. I agree with your post.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand how people can get confused by this. You can either use the GTA brand or a real life brand and if you are unsure which model it is OOCly then you can always ask. I really don't get the issue or why a mountain is being made out of a molehill.

Similarly, with the inconsistency, I've seen people on other roleplaying servers RP their guns as Glocks, their drugs as a different drug to what they had (as the server only had cocaine and pot scripts) and nobody had any issues. If you buy a car that someone else has RPed as a real life brand but you want to use the GTA brand, there's no issue really just use the GTA brand.

Edited by Atiku
  • Upvote 1

Wether you prefer made up brands, using real life ones or a mix of both, it's a very petty issue with the real question that is kind of let for open minds when there should be a solid agreement:

Is LS an empty city without more inhabitants that the players that are online at the moment or is it an alive city with thousands of people living in it? Nothing breaks immersion more than seeing someone RP like he's driving around an empty but huge city. Someone having a coke is nowhere close to that.

Edited by Gangstafary