Using real life brand/model names in-game

Aquila

We can't say that this server is a heavy roleplay one if we allow/enable poor RP of any type. I've seen a few advertisements in-game, or have been shown these advertisements, where players are calling bikes Harleys, or cars Mustangs, etc.

This kind of stuff should not be encouraged. We're playing GTA V, we're not playing a Los Angeles simulator. We're on a roleplay server, not a real life server. We're not allowed to use celebrity names, so why allow big manufacturer names? The game has given us brands and models of vehicles so why should we roleplay them any differently? There are cars that took INSPIRATION from real life cars, but they're not exact replicas. Like I said, if we're trying to portray this server as a heavy RP server then we shouldn't be allowing this kind of metagaming/powergaming. At some point people are going to roleplay that a Buffalo S is a Ferrari. 

Thoughts? Other servers don't allow the use of IRL brands of vehicles, I have no idea what our stance is on this. I'm sure @Maybe Magpie would agree with me on this. Personally I try to avoid real life brands that are replicated already on GTA, i.e. Redwood over Marlboro. Cars are a bigger issue than small stuff like cigarettes and sweets. 

• Upvote 1

I mean, yeah... =/

When there is absolutely no in-game equivalent of a brand, city, region, ... then of course, we should use the RL version. But when there *IS* an in-game equivalent then there isn't much point in using the RL version. I mean, it could be a bit nitpicky but it can go a long way when it comes to passive immersion. Not the worst or most major thing: stuff like people saying "Heineken"? I can live with it. But it would be cool to keep in-universe when it's possible. 

Edited by Topinambour
  • Upvote 1

No.

This has nothing to do with Heavy RP. Heavy RP revolves around the depth and quality of character design and effort they put into their roleplay. 

42 minutes ago, Aquila said:

We're not allowed to use celebrity names, so why allow big manufacturer names?

Because you're not allowed to claim you are the celebrity, as in, possess the name, be the owner of it. The same applies to ownership of manufacturer companies, it would be unreasonable to suggest you're the owner of a big real world company. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging real world artist's music - which also exists on GTA V's radio stations. Which brings me to the next point - where do you draw the line? The answer is, you can't. It's a grey area. If you enjoy a song in the GTA V radio station, where does the rest of the album exist in the GTA V universe? It doesn't, simply because "it isn't in the game", and limiting people to not being able to roleplay it is unreasonable. XM radios also introduce real world content into the game. You can't police that.

People need to understand that just because we use GTA V, does not mean we intend to be focused in the "GTA Universe". Look to the Heavy RP servers in the past: LSRP specifically is a good one - they used SA's LS as a staging ground for RP, but acknowledged real world brands, cars, music and such. The same should apply here, we simply use V's LS as our location to RP in, and don't force ourselves into GTA's universe with ridiculous lore like an American-Australian war and action movie style/dramatised gangs that aren't as realistic or well-thought out as our factions are.

Let's say I'm wearing a white shirt, why cannot I roleplay it being a polo shirt with a specific design, simply because it is not provided by the game? It is perfectly fine to roleplay something being different than it appears in game - WITHIN REASON. If I'm RPing my white shirt is a bulldozer costume, it's unrealistic, just like roleplaying a Buffalo is a Ferrari as you mentioned. However, you can reason the Buffalo is a Mustaang, because it has similar design, and we are not limited to what GTA provides us. 

• Upvote 7
  • Applaud 1
14 minutes ago, Pascal said:

However, you can reason the Buffalo is a Mustaang, because it has similar design, and we are not limited to what GTA provides us. 

Except the Buffalo S is not a Mustang, it's a Dodge Charger 2014. 

And that's a big part of the problem. Some of the vehicles are unique to the world of GTA, sometimes loosely inspired by RL models, sometimes clearly carbon copies, but the fact is that if someone says "Hey, you still have your Mustang?" my char will be looking at you like "the fuck is he talkinga bout?". And as a player, on an OOC level, I won't understand either... Because I don't always know the RL models, and neither should I have to actually. And I'll know even less when someone makes a mistake and mixes the RL/In-game models, using the wrong one (like in the present case).

Edited by Topinambour
3 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Except it's not a Mustang, it's a Dodge Charger.

unknown.png

unknown.png

3 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

if someone says "Hey, you still have your Mustang?" my char will be looking at you like "the fuck is he talkinga bout?".

That's what the RP commands are there for, to convey and describe your character's possessions. You can use a /do or a /my ('/my car would be a Buffalo') to correct the player, and use the RP commands to describe your items to the other player. Roleplay is about using our imagination, we shouldn't limit ourselves to just what's been provided to us. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Pascal said:

Roleplay is about using our imagination, we shouldn't limit ourselves to just what's been provided to us. 

This... is the worst way I have ever seen that argument diverted from its original meaning. Usually you say that when things are not available but you'd like to RP them. For example: no white polo available, so just RP that the T-shirt is one. Sure. You don't have another choice. But if a white polo IS available, why in the name of fuck would you have to RP that your T-shirt is a polo? It makes so little sense I can't even fathom it.

And having to /do "Heineken doesn't fucking exist in this universe" every 10 minutes would also be quickly spammy and tiring, to be honest. In addition to not making sense. Again: we're not talkinga bout people being prevented to RP in a certain way. The tools, brands, models, ... ALL EXIST ALREADY. If someone wants to RP selling some high-quality rum and they use an RL model? I don't care. There are no rum brands in the GTA universe, so, what's the problem? There's no problem. If the game offers no options, I agree we should still RP it regardless and find another way. But when the game provides what you need, there is no reason to not use it except look original and fancy or whatever.

Also:

f2e3860439ce355d26a69c85cd305.jpeg

Ford Mustang ^

2014_dodge_charger_angularfront.jpg

Charger 2014 ^

ba3e0feee5bef1c74bb09219667016ad.jpg

Buffalo S ^

:thinking:

2 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Usually you say that when things are not available but you'd like to RP them. For example: no white polo available, so just RP that the T-shirt is one. Sure. You don't have another choice. But if a white polo IS available, why in the name of fuck would you have to RP that your T-shirt is a polo?

You understand the point I am trying to make. White polo was just an example, perhaps I should've used a more niche example like a pair of Yeezy's - try not to read too deeply into the specific Item I listed. 

6 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

why in the name of fuck would you have to RP that your T-shirt is a polo?

You don't have to roleplay the shirt being something else, but you can. It's up to the player and their imagination. That's the point of a roleplaying server.

8 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

If someone wants to RP selling some high-quality rum and they use an RL model? I don't care. There are no rum brands in the GTA universe, so, what's the problem?

I want you to spend a bit longer on this logic. If you can import one of the many real world brands into the game because it doesn't provide it, hence acknowledging it's existence, why should their be a 'magical force' stopping me from importing the real world beer brands, just because GTA provides some beer brands? There's thousands of real world rum to select under your logic, but only very few in-game brands for beer - thousands of rum brands vs a handful of beer brands. It's essentially saying "we can fill this gap with real world stuff, but because we've already got a small amount of things, they're the authority on beer, it's the only things you can RP." 

As for your spoiler, here's another Mustaang that isn't an older model:

unknown.png