RageMP legality?

Aeon

Hello brothers. I'm curious about the legal status of RageMP and other alternative online GTA5-projects. 

The reason I'm asking is that I remember similar projects of both GTA4 and GTA5 that got cease and desist orders from Rockstar's publisher, Take-Two. I love this concept and I'm eager to dive into it and commit time and energy to this community, but the question still lingers in my head. Couldn't find anything concrete on Google.

Anyone eager to enlighten me?

9 minutes ago, Matt - said:

Well, it hasn't been shut down yet? :D

Hope Take-Two just realizes that this is only good for sales. They shut down FiveRP if I'm not mistaken.

10 minutes ago, N9ne said:

RageMP is a singleplayer modification, as long it doesn't affect GTA:O, we shouldn't worry about anything.

I remember they shut down some other project, might've been FiveRP, on the grounds that it competed with the official online model. That is absurd in my head, but nevertheless.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but generally speaking, it's in a very complex legal gray zone. So far, there have been a lot of publishers sending "cease & desist" takedown letters, but I don't know of many that actually went to court. The Cease & Desist is mostly intimidation and bluffing, A company can send a cease & desist, but be told by a judge that they can go fuck themselves.

Add to that the fact that the RageMP devs are located in Russia, where most laws are actually made up on the spot lol, and copyright laws aren't really a big priority there.

So, it's probably not legal but it's in a complicated area, which means if a case went to court, the judge would have to interpret the law by himself, all in a very complex context (numeric copyright in gaming with client / server models and all that shit). So RageMP being taken down is entirely possible, but it's somewhat unlikely. Rockstar doesn't have that much money to gain out of it, but a lot of time to waste, all that for 500 players. 

45 minutes ago, Aeon said:

They shut down FiveRP if I'm not mistaken.

What are you talking about? Nervous announced he would buy FiveRP, that's why it got shut down lol 

Edited by Topinambour
2 minutes ago, Aeon said:

Hope Take-Two just realizes that this is only good for sales. They shut down FiveRP if I'm not mistaken.

I remember they shut down some other project, might've been FiveRP, on the grounds that it competed with the official online model. That is absurd in my head, but nevertheless.

FiveRP wasn't a mp mod, it was a server

9 minutes ago, N9ne said:

FiveRP wasn't a mp mod, it was a server

Oh my bad, I meant GTA-MP, not FiveRP.

10 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, but generally speaking, it's in a very complex legal gray zone. So far, there have been a lot of publishers sending "cease & desist" takedown letters, but I don't know of many that actually went to court. The Cease & Desist is mostly intimidation and bluffing, A company can send a cease & desist, but be told by a judge that they can go fuck themselves.

If you add to that the fact that the RageMP devs are located in Russia, where most laws are actually made up on the spot lol, and copyright laws aren't really a big priority there.

So, it's probably not legal but it's in a complicated area, which means if a case went to court, the judge would have to interpret the law by himself, all in a very complex context (numeric copyright in gaming with client / server models and all that shit). So RageMP being taken down is entirely possible, but it's somewhat unlikely. Rockstar doesn't have that much money to gain out of it, but a lot of time to waste, all that for 500 players. 

What are you talking about? Nervous announced he would buy FiveRP, that's why it got shut down lol 

Thanks for clarifying mate, much appreciated. My mistake, I've been reading about FiveRP lately so I confused it with GTA-MP.

Edited by Aeon

I think in general there is a different attidue towards it as it is a single player mod rather than piggybacking off of the GTA online severs.. however I don't think any projects including SAMP which is over a decade old ever get approval.

48 minutes ago, Lance said:

You need a legal copy of your game to play on rage, so I don't see what would be the problem. Funny thing is you could play samp with a cracked version and it's still running with no problems from R*.

Lol, well the thing is, they have no way to tell if you have a legit copy of the game or not. and since andreas is a singleplayer game, no reason to make you go online to verify you own a game like that.