Punchwhoring in serious roleplay

Rensai

@VengefulPeanut you missed the point.. Punching/fighting, dodging and evading an opponents punches.. Is all a physically depicted a skill set of its own..

For instance, SAMP had tournaments and fight clubs based off said mechanics.

Aiming a punch is no different than shooting a gun.... Are you insinuating that /me aims his gun at Peanuts head, pulling the trigger ahould be allowed? Simply because you hace rpd military experience and the other guy is a lowly thug? Yet the lowly thug is actually more akilled at the FPS aspect of the game?

My opinion is thier is a lot of people here who have little to no experience or exposure to legacy rp servers... Becauae wyat I see is a group of people openly suggesting a playing fiels for power game.

Throwing a fist has a built in mechanic. You do not need yo RP it.

Shooting has a mechanic... You dont need to RP where your shots land in an active and dyanmically generated rp....

To suggest that we /me swings A powerful punch knocking Zane out... Lol thats funny..

Your basically circumventing the probability of success and fail based on some BS background story that had nothing to do with what happened actually in the game

• 2 weeks later...

What you're referring to, though, is straight up bad RP and powergaming. If I have been roleplaying someone who is really competent in hand to hand combat the whole way through, it makes no sense to get knocked out by some weedy guy who's never been in a fight before just because his player is better at game mechanics - that's just another level of poor RP. On the flipside, if I've made no mention of my character's ability prior and it only manifests when engaging in a fight - without any detriment to physicality - that's just poor RP, too. 

It's easy enough to dip a punch, not so easy to dip a bullet. Either way, consent should be received from both agreeing parties before potentially crippling injury is inflicted on someone simply because they didn't read the /me fast enough before getting their heads bludgeoned in. 

3 hours ago, VengefulPeanut said:

What you're referring to, though, is straight up bad RP and powergaming. If I have been roleplaying someone who is really competent in hand to hand combat the whole way through, it makes no sense to get knocked out by some weedy guy who's never been in a fight before just because his player is better at game mechanics - that's just another level of poor RP. On the flipside, if I've made no mention of my character's ability prior and it only manifests when engaging in a fight - without any detriment to physicality - that's just poor RP, too. 

It's easy enough to dip a punch, not so easy to dip a bullet. Either way, consent should be received from both agreeing parties before potentially crippling injury is inflicted on someone simply because they didn't read the /me fast enough before getting their heads bludgeoned in. 

No, no & no.

The example you stated is still powergaming, "I roleplay a big dude, so a small guy shouldn't be able to knock me out". That's a daft way of thinking, and again it's powergaming. Fighting outside of a professional system is luck, it's about where the the hit connected & if there was enough power behind it to cause significant damage. I understand your example, but the end of the day it should be handled script wise if the sync was better (SoonTM). Right now, the only way to fight and have that aspect of luck is through /roll which in itself is a whole new shit show.

Obviously the sync is far too bad for a good melee fight right now, but I think there is going to be a problem once that's fixed, and that's the fact that the melee system is extremely basic. It's still not really skill based, even with proper syncing. If you get the first hit in, I feel like you're pretty much going to win, because all you can do in PVP melee is spam hits at each other. There's no real way to dodge or anything.

That said, fight RP is extremely difficult to do unless one party is willing to lose. Even if one side should logically win, it can be powergaming to force that. However, if your 6'5 musclebound MMA fighter loses to a 14 year old, it's just as silly. This applies if you just try to out-write each other (which has the problem of neither party wanting to take hits), or you roll (which is luck-based and results in unrealistic outcomes). 

I don't know what the solution is, unless we do something extremely weird like implement combat stats, but that has a whole separate list of problems. At the moment, even with my character that is specifically skilled with hand-to-hand, I try to avoid fights like that and stick to guns, because making it fair is much, much simpler. 

• 1 month later...

I would certainly define 'punchworing' as you described it, as powergaming as it does not give the other player the chance to roleplay their actions. I would encourage a forum report in these instances, a roleplay quality report is also something I'd recommend too. I don't think we need a set-rule on this as it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that this isn't okay.

Locked on that note. Thanks for the suggestion though!