Observations and/or Questions from a FiveRPer

3 hours ago, Asesci said:

I personally believe that RPG jobs are generally a bad thing, because they keep players away from what's most important on a role-play server: role-playing. Due to the fact that the unemployment benefit is only $500 an hour, and entrance fees, clothing items, tattoos, vehicles, properties, etc. all cost a lot of money, there's no other choice but to result to delivery missions, mining, fishing, and other RPG jobs in order to keep up appearances and portray one's character realistically.

In other words, players are basically being forced to work for hours on end, every day, if they want to role-play their characters to the fullest. That's why I don't agree with the concept of RPG jobs as the concept currently exists.

In order to remedy the situation, I'd propose the universal basic income for all players for an unlimited duration of time. $5,000 an hour would be sufficient in order to be able to afford all the basic necessities and certain luxury items, too, and people could focus on role-play rather than doing these RPG jobs. Also, what about those players who have work and other commitments in real life? I'd argue that those people didn't have much time for the grind, perhaps even driving them away from this sort of game that takes up a lot of free time in order to get everything out of what the game has to offer.

I'm not saying that RPG jobs should be removed completely. They offer the players something to do while there's nothing else to do, which is, by far, the best aspect of these RPG jobs. And that's what the purpose of these jobs should be. Personally, however, I'd wish that the RPG jobs were more interesting. Honestly, why would anyone want to work as a garbage man or a courier in a video game, especially if they had to come home from 8-hour shifts to do so? Wouldn't it be more interesting to work as a diver, pilot or a hunter? Those are the kind of RPG jobs that I'd rather see here.

There's so much more that I could write about this subject, but I'll leave the rest to myself, for now...

5k an hr is a little steep but I agree there definitely needs to be a boost, players are getting kicked more for AFK so I doubt money farming is too big of an issue to counter this suggestion

2 minutes ago, Airwolf said:

5000$/hour for everyone is far more than most legal faction members get paid. Just  saying. I don't believe people should be rewarded for not doing anything at all. Got to work for your money.

My personal mindset on roleplay servers is that when I'm working in real life, my character is working, too. When I get back home, I don't want to spend my free time working in a video game.

Now, tell me, based on what logic should I not be rewarded with money by providing other players with roleplay, for instance? Because, when I play, I make sure that other players can also enjoy themselves around me. I'm like a storyteller, and people get sucked into my stories... 

13 minutes ago, Asesci said:

My personal mindset on roleplay servers is that when I'm working in real life, my character is working, too. When I get back home, I don't want to spend my free time working in a video game.

Pretty much. The entire point of playing in a fictional universe (even if it's close to reality like GTA V) is to **NOT DO WHAT YOU ALREADY DO IRL**. If I wanted to do a desk job, instead of coming online and /me'ing that I sort files and send e-mails to stakeholders, because I gotta "WORK TO DESERVE MY MONEY BECUZ HEVY RP FAM", I would just go back to the office and work overtime. And I'd make some really nice RL money, instead of GTAW bucks. 

Some RP jobs are interesting, they create cool storylines, develop your character, and more. But it's not the case of every single RP job available. Some of them are tedious, repetitive, and create, very little RP value. As such, I'm not saying they should be removed or anything, but maybe people should stop seeing those as the panacea that will bring great RP to the whole universe either. 

I would more encourage to see the entire thing from a higher perspective. "You gotta deserve your money!" is a mindset that works IRL (well, it's starting to show its limits but whatever)... But in an RP game, the idea isn't to "deserve" anything. It is to create interesting RP and stories. Therefore, money becomes a tool to enhance and provide background to those stories... It's not an end and should neither be seen as such, or as some sort of "reward" given for those who do tedious / uninteresting stuff. Especially if said stuff doesn't create RP (or not a lot). 

Edited by Topinambour
  • Upvote 1

People will simply abuse the system and farm free money. That's how it just is with games. AFKing constantly, putting on a simple script that it won't get you AFK kicked. We've seen it on other servers. People simply shouldn't be rewarded for not doing anything at all. Providing RP can be done by doing jobs as well. Set up food stands, create some events on the beach and sell food/drinks there, go in business roleplay, join factions. This is a RP server, simple as.

This server is meant for players to have a somewhat realistic economy, to encourage their characters to work for their money. You don't want to follow those things? Then settle with the fact that you won't have a in character income.

Just now, Airwolf said:

This server is meant for players to have a somewhat realistic economy, to encourage their characters to work for their money. You don't want to follow those things? Then settle with the fact that you won't have a in character income.

No, it's not... that's just a shoddy excuse. The main point is for everyone to have fun and roleplay, not to work for hours on end to afford the necessities to roleplay.

3 minutes ago, Asesci said:

No, it's not... that's just a shoddy excuse. The main point is for everyone to have fun and roleplay, not to work for hours on end to afford the necessities to roleplay.

People get 5k paychecks until they reach 150k total assets which is more than enough cash to get a proper estate and a middle-class vehicle. 

I wouldn't necessarily say that the server is about fun, in its purest form. Due to the high criminal activities on servers like this, people tend to end up in bad situations. 

Its about roleplay however. All of it. - You wont get awarded here by being AFK. You'll have to earn your money in order to obtain certain things in the game. 

To get back on topic, as many people mentioned before, and suggested endless times. The fee of bars/clubs stick. Its up to the owners to regulate them. If you dont like the entrance fee, then dont pay? - I suppose the people owning the places would lower the entrance fee if they had no customers? 

And until the server hits a lot more players, nothing will be changed in order for clubs to earn their money though. They are already getting assets from government in order to try and compensate for the high entrance fees. So just keep this in mind. 

As Nervous has said before. Once we hit a very large amount of online players at all times. Entrance Fees most likely will be regulated.