Guide to Streaming on GTA:W

Hello! So this guide is going to be teaching you how to stream via TWITCH, I don't stream via YouTube, so sorry for anyone that wants a guide for that.

First things first is setting up OBS, I used to recommend OBS classic but, due to the updates to OBS Studio I recommend using OBS Studio.  

Setting up OBS

So, I'm assuming you've downloaded OBS Studio already, but if you haven't go ahead and click here to download it. Once you've downloaded OBS Studio, open it as an administrator (do this every time or else you will have issues with webcam and screen display sometimes). Note this is a guide for settings with my build / internet. My build is below for reference:

Spoiler
  • GPU: GTX 1080 Founders Edition
  • CPU: Intel i7-6700k
  • RAM:  Ballistix 16 GB DDR4
  • MOBO: Asrock Z170 Pro4
  • Internet speed: 

7157900616.png

Once you've opened obs click file on the top left and go to settings. Below is a picture.

Spoiler

c2qFBVh.png

Stream

After you've opened settings go to Stream and select Twitch as your service. You can either set the server to Auto or choose one, I usually do Auto because even though I live about an hour away from the Dallas server, I still somedays have a better connection to others. It will choose the server that has the best connection to you.

After choosing the server and everything you need to input your twitch stream key, you can find it here by replacing the frogetv with your twitch name: 

https://www.twitch.tv/frogetv/dashboard/settings/streamkey

Spoiler

jGDPhGE.png

Output

Next click output, and make sure you set the output mode to advanced. Below are the settings I use, which are the best (in my opinion) for streaming.

WARNING! If your PC is not the strongest, I recommend looking online for these settings based on your build or test these settings and tweak them to find what works for you.

• Encoder: x264
  • Enforce streaming service encoder settings: ✓
  • Rescale output: ✓ / 1280x720
  • Rate Control: CBR
  • Bitrate (This is based off your internet, you might want to fiddle around with this. ) : 3500.
  • Keyframe Interval: 2
  • CPU usage preset: Fast
  • Profile: High
  • Tune: None

Spoiler

l6yZDvd.png

Audio

There really isn't much to audio, I just put my sample rate at 44.1khz  and channels stereo. You can also select your microphone and desktop device here.

Spoiler

ikCF1AS.png

Video

For the video, we will be putting it at 1920x1080 for the base (or whatever the highest is for you). And you want to scale it down to 1280x720. You also want to have the downscale filter on Bicubic. I set the common FPS values to 30, you can set it to 60 but it really doesn't matter. It might just lag you. 

Spoiler

SdxZlGk.png

Advanced

For the advanced settings, we will mainly just change the General, Video, and Audio tab. You can add a stream delay if you please.

• Process Priority: Above Normal
  • Renderer: Direct3D 11
  • Color format: NV12
  • Audio Monitoring Device: Whatever you're using, in my case Headphones ( HD Audio Device)
  • Disable windows auto ducking: ✓
Spoiler

5ahowlJ.png

So that pretty much concludes the settings portions of OBS, like I said these settings are for my PC build. You may need to tweak them or google settings for your specific build.

OBS Scenes   

The next thing we will be going over is OBS Scenes, OBS scenes are pretty much what your viewer sees. The first thing I would do is set up stream alerts so that you know when you get a follow, sub, donation, etc. I use StreamLabs, its a personal choice and I think they're better than any others, you can go here to sign up for StreamLabs.

Alerts

Once you set up stream labs and customize your alerts, copy your widget URL. We will be using this in OBS to show alerts on screen. 

Spoiler

6f106bde75a2087e020c3f061798d403.png

Once you've copied it, make a new scene by right clicking the scenes area and clicking add:

Next right click scenes and choose add < Browser, name it Alerts and then post your widget URL then click okay. It will go invisible, that is fine. Then click OK.

Spoiler

73774c457a4f9edb71b24f4480169c6e.png

Game Capture

Next, we will add a game capture, again right click in Sources and go to add < Game Capture. Name this Game or keep it as Game Capture. Set the mode to capture specific window. Note: Make sure you already have grand theft auto running before you add the game capture or the window will not show up.

Spoiler

qExJpdv.png

Webcam

Last but not least: Webcam! To select your webcam right click on sources and click add < Video Capture Device, name this webcam, and click OK. Set the device to your webcam, in my case Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920. I don't change anything from there, I just set my webcam then move on. Note: A lot of times the webcam is glitchy, you might have to click deactivate and activate a couple of times or unplug and replug it in then deactive and reactivate. Also you can attempt to restart OBS, it might fix it.

Spoiler

f68faefacfb299c38bf88fc634875cb9.png

That pretty much wraps up the scenes section, you can add more to it or less, depending on what you'd like shown on screen.

Setting up Twitch

Moderation

So, the next thing is to set up everything on twitch. First things first is moderation, either get a friend who can watch the stream and moderate chat for you, do it yourself, or get a bot. I usually get a bot because the bots have pretty decent commands that are very useful, you can also make custom commands. I use Nightbot you can get it here.  Fiddle with Nighbot's settings, its pretty simple you should be able to do it yourself.

Title and Stream Settings

Once you've got that done now we can move on to setting up your title and stream settings. Go to twitch.tv/dashboard and choose your title. I set mine GTA:W - What I'm doing - Character Name. Ex: GTA:W - LSTransit - Jake Leon. You don't have to do it like this, but that is what I use as my title. Make sure you set your game to Grand Theft Auto V. Communities, these are very important. If you want to have GTA:W players in your chat type in gtaworld and add it as a community. From there you can choose what other communities you want but make sure if you are streaming on GTA:W set your community to gtaworld.

How to get viewers/maintain them

On this topic, I will be teaching you the ways I get viewers and maintain them. I'm not saying I defintely get viewers and maintain them, this is very hard to do but when I pull it off I feel like a boss. So here are a few tips and tricks I use.

Link Discord to Twitch

This one is extremely important, this will help people know who on GTA:W's discord is streaming. Also if anyone clicks on your name they will see that you are streaming along with a link to your stream. To do this click the little gear on the bottom right of your discord next to your name. 

Speaking and Being Interactive

Being interactive has to be the most important part of streaming, nobody wants to watch a stream where the streamer doesn't even read chat. Make sure you read chat and try to talk a lot. Don't talk too much and get annoying, but even it out between quietness and talking. This can be a hard skill to master but it can make or break your twitch. You want to make sure you are talking loud clear, and voicing your opinions/emotions. 

Quality

Quality can bring viewers and stink viewers. Most times bad quality streams will ward viewers off. Everyone has to start somewhere, so you might not have the best PC, best mic, best webcam, or best internet. So use what you got and be entertaining! Microphone quality can be very important, viewers want to hear you clear. If you have a lot of background noise or your mic is very bad I recommend using a microphone gate or push to talk, You can find out how to use a noise gate here.

Webcam

This is a big one, the viewers want to see your facial reactions and vocal reactions combined. They don't want to have to imagine what you look like or what your face is looking like at the current moment. Webcams can be very cheap and very expensive at the same time. Find one thats good for your price range, and good enough quality for the stream.

Hosting/AutoHosting

Hosting helps you and the person you host. Hosting is very important because it lets your viewers find other streamers that you host and vise versa. This is a great tool for growing your viewerbase/audience. If you're playing GTA:W and want to be hosted by other GTA:W streamers or wanna host GTA:W streamers, click here.

Do's/ Don'ts

Below are listed things you do not want to do, this will ward off viewers and possibly get you banned:

• Racism: Don't be racist, sexist or homophobic, first off this can ward of viewers and secondly it can get you banned.
  • Loud Breathing: Don't do this, nobody likes people who do this.
  • Boring music/no music: Make sure you have music in the background for downtime when your game crashes, you're switching games, or not talking.
  • AFK a lot: Going AFK for even a minute can make you lose viewers when you're streaming plan on sitting for a good 4+ hours straight.
  • Schedule: This is very important, make sure you establish a schedule or at least notify viewers when you're going to be streaming.
  • Break GTA:W rules: This will not get you banned off of twitch but Admins definitely watch streams and will punish you ICly.
  • Fake Giveaways: Don't be that guy.
  • View Botting: This will get you banned on twitch for sure, and you will definitely get called out on it by viewers. NEVER DO THIS.
  • Chat Bots: Never add Chatbots, especially ones that post how many viewers you get, and @ people for no reason. Those are annoying.
  • Advertising your stream: Do not go around advertising your stream, this can easily get you hate. Its okay to throw hints here and there and when people ask you for your twitch, give it to them.

For now, that is all I can think of/have the time to write. If you have anything you'd like to be added or need any clarification please PM me on discord or the forums @Froge

Also if you need any help message me on discord, I will respond the fastest on there.

Thanks for reading and happy streaming! Also, don't forget to hit me up with a follow at http://Twitch.tv/FrogeTV

Edited by Froge
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, matical said:

Looks good, I can make a YouTube tutorial if anyone wants!

That would benefit your channel, if you're serious youtuber, guides usually get a lot of attention, especially from people like me who usually watch vids about such things lol.

Guide itself is quite good though, although imo Webcam is not necessary, especially if you are not confident. For RP, I personally don't mind streaming not having a cam.

• Upvote 1

Well explained, I always have this problem with people Lurking and not saying anything, I always stop streaming when that happens and I cannot keep to a schedule maybe you can help me with that <3

Other than that, lovely guide, well explained :)

• Thanks 1