Remove #politics from Discord

MalteseWolf

Posting this here since it doesn't fit in any of the sub forums imo.

Simple suggestion: Remove #politics channel from the GTA:W Discord and ban political talk from the other channels.

Reasoning: Politics, much like religion, is a rather personal subject some people take way too seriously. And guess what, if you're looking to have a serious and mature political debate, you do not go looking for it on an IM server for a roleplay community. #general is bad enough with the trolling and the failed attempts at comedy. Why shoot ourselves in the foot by having channels that have absolutely nothing to do with the game and just tend to get needlessly heated? It just gives a bad image of the community to newcomers to see a channel full of people arguing over stuff that is, frankly, extremely off-topic.

I just see #politics as a containment board, if it weren't there, most of the discussions would be in #general instead. 
I'm generally very much against limiting any form of speech, so I'm naturally against this suggestion. I don't believe it have a negative effect on newcomers, as it's common knowledge political discussions can get heated.

edit: 
I do realize there's a trolling problem right now, but let's not moderate and regulate based on a very small (however vocal) minority. 

Edited by norrig

Politics and religion are sensitive topics, especially in a gaming community. I've always felt like the politics channel was out of place just because it didn't fit in on a gaming server.

I like to keep everything on a Discord server associated to the primary purpose of it, in this case, it's a gaming community, I wouldn't want it drifting off in any other religious/political direction. 

But I don't mind it until people start pushing their political beliefs down your throat. I'd say I tried to be neutral towards this channel but it just became a hotspot for indirect racism and political arguments that simply have no benefit or hold any value at all.

one of the worst perpetrators (lemonade, who didn't even play here and whose sole purpose was to provoke people in politics) was banned so that channel isn't as bad as it used to be

but a rarely moderated politics chat on the internet almost never goes down very well

wonder what recent argument in that channel could've sparked this suggestion

Oh what a surprise, the political correctness police have raided.

The whole point of a Discord channel is to separate discussions into their relevant sections. Don't like politics? Don't click the channel and read the conversations then.

Edited by Nervous
2 hours ago, norrig said:

I just see #politics as a containment board, if it weren't there, most of the discussions would be in #general instead. 
I'm generally very much against limiting any form of speech, so I'm naturally against this suggestion. I don't believe it have a negative effect on newcomers, as it's common knowledge political discussions can get heated.

edit: 
I do realize there's a trolling problem right now, but let's not moderate and regulate based on a very small (however vocal) minority. 

Whilst I appreciate the libertarian view and your idealistic approach to give everyone their right to free speech... I do not think it makes sense in this context.

This community is about Roleplay. It is not about politics, religion, sexuality, sports, music or a million other things. And while all of these things can be interesting and/or fun to discuss, I believe there's a time and place for everything.

You don't grab a six pack of beers and a bigass bag of chips and go discuss last night's football game at the town church/temple/mosque/whatever. Just like you don't go preach the word of your deity at the local stadium during a match.

If you're here it means you wish to RP, or at least it should. There's a million other dedicated forums and chat rooms where people can go discuss any other topic under the sun. But this community is not the place to discuss random sensitive topics, imo. We're just putting unneeded stress on admins trying to moderate more places and fostering needless drama between players (current or potential) of this server.

1 hour ago, shaobadman said:

one of the worst perpetrators (lemonade, who didn't even play here and whose sole purpose was to provoke people in politics) was banned so that channel isn't as bad as it used to be

but a rarely moderated politics chat on the internet almost never goes down very well

wonder what recent argument in that channel could've sparked this suggestion

Believe it or not I have been thinking of posting this suggestion for a number of weeks now, after noticing that it was rarely moderated as you said and quickly turning into a cesspit. I took the lazy/egoistic approach and simply muted that channel so I didn't have to look at it (not that I did often, mind).

But yes, the recent report and action taken against a particular offender of the channel's freedoms did spark my rekindled interest in the matter. Simply because, as I stated further up, it only leads to pointless arguments and drama. The time spent debating in that channel and reporting people when things inevitably go south could be much more constructively used elsewhere. Such as, you know, roleplaying.

1 hour ago, Maca said:

Oh what a surprise, the political correctness police have raided.

The whole point of a Discord channel is to separate discussions into their relevant sections. Don't like politics? Don't click the channel and read the conversations then.

See above. And here's a counter argument:

Like discussing politics? Find a proper place where you can do that with other individuals interested in doing the same in an environment dedicated to do exclusively that. You'll have a much better time, trust me. This is like going to order a cooked burger and chips meal from the grocery store when there's a Burger King branch right across the road.

Edited by MalteseWolf
Typos

But with that way of speaking, maybe we should remove the #cryptocurrency channel then? Hey, fuck it, while we're at at... let's also remove #suggestions and #announcements since we have a forum category for that right?

It makes no sense. Don't fix what's not broken. If you dislike #politics, don't read #politics???

• Upvote 1

Lack of proper moderation in the discord from staff has been lacking for a while, as well as the simple use of warnings by words instead of instantly shadow banning people. Get more people in there to moderate the politics section and we'll be fine, don't just remove it

Edited by Ikechukwu
  • Stefan locked this topic