Extending the text/dialog key cap.

Should we implement this for better showcasing & experience?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So there are only a certain amount of character's per line you can use.  You can only fit up to 2 (maybe 3) short if not very short sentences in 1 line.  For ranters and ravers like my old man character, (and likely a whole handful of other people) I think we should extend that limit.  I don't know what the current key cap is, I'm going to go ahead and say 75, (75 characters per full line.)  I'm going to ask it be extended to say 250.  This way people can't flood your screen, but they can still fit a good long few sentences in there.  There is also room to interrupt your own thoughts, like people do.  Also, hopefully people will take more time out to figure out how their character talks or words themselves with this extension.

All I ask, for the sake of literally anything creative, that we do not re-add the name in the extension of a line.  For example: 

What it shouldn't look like:
Leonard Cicciarello says:  My mother was such a fucking cunt growing up, she used to ask me if I had anything to say and when I'd open my mouth to tell her no,
Leonard Cicciarello says:  she'd crack me across the mouth before I can answer.  That was years ago, though.  Do that shit today, forget about it.  They come take your
Leonard Cicciarello says: kids away from ya.

What it should look like:
Leonard Cicciarello says:  My mother was such a fucking cunt growing up, she used to ask me if I had anything to say and when I'd open my mouth to tell her no, she'd crack me across the mouth before I can answer.  That was years ago, though. Do that shit today, forget about it.  They come take your kids away from ya.

Pro's:

It'll give people the opportunity to extend, or expand their character's thought in their dialog.

It won't overload the screen, right now all someone gets is one line, this'll extend it to three.  Even five would be fine, but no more than five.

It'll PROMOTE healthy dialog and healthy thought while you're in character.  The RP will look nice. 

It'll look way better in screenshots and showcasing, thus improving the look of our server.

Edited by Cici
  • Upvote 2

The only reason why the current way is more comfortable is because the suggested key cap is different compared to what you're used to. You need to have a positive outlook on change. However, what I will say is it's possible and realistic for other people to cut you off in the middle of your sentence, which allows others to view how busy and chatty the current area really is. Although it looks more clean, you're not always going to be able to speak an entire paragraph without the risk of someone talking over you or cutting you off. This allows for others to have a realistic 'chatting' environment, which can realistically make it more difficult for you to hear what someone else is saying because there is other chatter in the area, or someone is simply talking over you. Because of this, you're given the opportunity to talk in a more quieter and subtle area or simply tell the other folks to be quiet.

I'm not with or against this suggestion, but these are just my two cents on the matter. I'd like to see what everyone else has to say.

• Upvote 1

I like the suggestion because I like my long sentences too, but consider this:

Text-rp is slow as hell in terms of response times, conversation progression. When you type a paragraph, your friend could be waiting 1-2 minutes for you to even speak ICly.

I believe the current character count allows for flowing conversation to some extent. This however is a really interesting suggestion, thanks for raising it and I will be following this for hopefully more good feedback.

It doesn't stop people from cutting you off it just stops you from making a fragment. 

The only way you'd ever cut down on people cutting off your speech is having an indicator showing that someone is speaking but I imagine a lot of people wouldn't like that for whatever reason. 

Like an icon of a chat bubble to indicate you’re typing.  I mean its not a bad idea or a bad addition to the thought as OOC as it is.  And yeah people will take longer if they choose to type a long sentence.  But the people who are comfortable with the cap right now won’t have to type long sentences.  So it leaves room for the people who like how it is right now to stay the same, because all it is, is what we have now, just extended if you want it extended.  (But not overly extended.)

Edited by Cici
55 minutes ago, Stefan said:

I personally think that if we implemented something along the lines of an indicator to show when someone is typing that it will just lead to people taking advantage of it. I think the current system that we have now is fine.

What could someone POSSIBLY take advantage of with this?  lol.  Come on what is that the answer to everything lately?  “People will take advantage.”

You can’t take advantage of this its impossible.