How'd you feel about the addition of legal semi-auto rifles?

caballero

I'd personally be fine with it if it was another tier of licensing that's restricted to people who are strictly legal roleplayers. I know @Marksman is working on custom guns that would be perfect for this. They can have restrictions on the magazine sizes (eg. 10 or 20 round mags) to reduce the advantage that they have.

There's a large amount of legal RPers that RP around guns that this would be perfect for. Make the application go through Legal FM as opposed to FLD so there can be a more thorough background check. Make it so illegal RPers have to stick to illegal suppliers rather than trying to take these guns. Require rifle owners to report any thefts to Legal FM so any staged robberies can be investigated and caught. There's also the chance to revoke the rifle license for anyone that uses it inappropriately. 

Having semi-auto rifles opens up a lot of legal RP for people that already RP around legal guns. Hunting and shooting competitions are two things that immediately come to mind. It would be cool to see three gun shooting competitions going on.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Keane said:

I'd personally be fine with it if it was another tier of licensing that's restricted to people who are strictly legal roleplayers. I know @Marksman is working on custom guns that would be perfect for this. They can have restrictions on the magazine sizes (eg. 10 or 20 round mags) to reduce the advantage that they have.

There's a large amount of legal RPers that RP around guns that this would be perfect for. Make the application go through Legal FM as opposed to FLD so there can be a more thorough background check. Make it so illegal RPers have to stick to illegal suppliers rather than trying to take these guns. Require rifle owners to report any thefts to Legal FM so any staged robberies can be investigated and caught. There's also the chance to revoke the rifle license for anyone that uses it inappropriately. 

Having semi-auto rifles opens up a lot of legal RP for people that already RP around legal guns. Hunting and shooting competitions are two things that immediately come to mind. It would be cool to see three gun shooting competitions going on.

All of this sounds great. I'll quote you in the thread.

7 minutes ago, Keane said:

12 minutes ago, Keane said:

Couldn't agree with Keane more. My character has been trying to work on events such as three gunning for quite a while now. I also like the idea of having legal FM taking over the applications for a rifle. It's essential for any full on legal gun owner who could use it for home defense or hunting. Not like we would carry it around with us outside to fend off robbers. 

5 minutes ago, Keane said:

They can have restrictions on the magazine sizes (eg. 10 or 20 round mags) to reduce the advantage that they have.

This is a thing that on paper sounds like it will be a "disadvantage" but in practice in won't be. And here's why. We don't have an actual mass based inventory system. The ammunition that is carried for all intents and purposes is just loose, until we go through the magic animation of reload and it gets packed into a mag. So the reason it's not even a disadvantage is that it's been proven - if someone wants to commit a mass shooting or whatever, they just bring more magazines. If I'm carrying 300 rounds of ammunition with me, that's ten mags. That's a lot - but it's manageable. 30 ten round mags however is a little bit different. Now in the real world this can make a difference. But since we don't have that, here it won't. Our players are basically competition shooters who have a smooth as butter transition in both weapon changing and reloads. So the half second it takes to reload? Not an advantage killer in the scheme of thing. Because by the time it's processed that he's out of ammo, he's reloaded already.

36 minutes ago, Nervous said:

We're debating it in IFM, but we're extremely scared about the idea of seeings bad roleplayers waving rifles around. So for now.. It's being debated aha.

What's more likely? Bad roleplayers from criminal groups waving rifles around or bad roleplayers from civilain rpers waving rifles around?

The answer, obviously, is criminal groups.

• Applaud 1
Just now, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

This is a thing that on paper sounds like it will be a "disadvantage" but in practice in won't be. And here's why. We don't have an actual mass based inventory system. The ammunition that is carried for all intents and purposes is just loose, until we go through the magic animation of reload and it gets packed into a mag. So the reason it's not even a disadvantage is that it's been proven - if someone wants to commit a mass shooting or whatever, they just bring more magazines. If I'm carrying 300 rounds of ammunition with me, that's ten mags. That's a lot - but it's manageable. 30 ten round mags however is a little bit different. Now in the real world this can make a difference. But since we don't have that, here it won't. Our players are basically competition shooters who have a smooth as butter transition in both weapon changing and reloads. So the half second it takes to reload? Not an advantage killer in the scheme of thing. Because by the time it's processed that he's out of ammo, he's reloaded already.

You have to take in mind everyone RP's differently, if someone wants to ignore basic roleplay terms and make his 24/7 employee character be able to shoot like the normal GTA:O characters do, that'll be on him & administration. There's a reason admins make sure that someone's combat skills match their character, at least from what I've seen. 

Just now, Marksman said:

What's more likely? Bad roleplayers from criminal groups waving rifles around or bad roleplayers from civilain rpers waving rifles around?

The answer, obviously, is criminal groups.

The approach here is to ban both groups when they do this. Ban them for a few days and OOC bar them from ever getting a PF again on any character. Done deal. The criminals? Ehh - stupid is as stupid does.

Just now, Santanaa said:

You have to take in mind everyone RP's differently, if someone wants to ignore basic roleplay terms and make his 24/7 employee character be able to shoot like the normal GTA:O characters do, that'll be on him & administration. There's a reason admins make sure that someone's combat skills match their character, at least from what I've seen. 

I have never seen anyone get banned for handling a weapon too well.

Edited by SaintBatemanofWallStreet
Just now, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

The approach here is to ban both groups when they do this. Ban them for a few days and OOC bar them from ever getting a PF again on any character. Done deal. The criminals? Ehh - stupid is as stupid does.

Absolutely. Punish those individuals that need punishing instead of punishing an entire group through restrictions out of pure fear