GTAW Economy status and possible rebalances

MartosG

13 hours ago, MartosG said:
  • Taxing more assets such as properties and businesses. A weekly tax based on the market price of the property. The general idea being so that citizens have increased expenses, rather than their net worth just steadily rising. Realistically if you own 2 properties and 3 vehicles, you will need a decent paycheck to maintain them. This could potentially open up the possibility of a new division under the government based on the IRS. 

I think the ratio issue is something that cannot be resolved any more. However, the above one still can. 

For vehicles, the majority of players will fight tooth and nail against any changes to the costs of vehicle ownership, so there's no point in attempting to even discuss this. People want free stuff and that will never change. However, I believe properties have a better chance to see some cost balancing. Right now, owning a property comes with no inherent additional costs if your net worth is below about $700.000. I believe it's not a bad idea to leave that like it is. When you do go above $700.000, which means you're not a new player any more, I think properties could be taxed a little more heavily.

Right now, you pay 0,01% asset tax on an hourly basis, which starts when you're above $700.000. In my view, it makes sense to either increase this, or even better, separate property tax from asset taxes and tax these properties a little higher. I'd personally be in favor of multiplying it tenfold, since this provides some drive for players to shed off unused or underused properties. Even then, you'd have to have $800.000 worth of properties before the hourly property taxes actually start eating into your money. Anyone with assets below $700.000 obviously remains entirely unaffected.

This probably won't happen, but it surely would be nice, since it depresses passive income and attaches some costs and consequences to owning properties.

Edited by mj2002
8 hours ago, mj2002 said:

For vehicles, the majority of players will fight tooth and nail against any changes to the costs of vehicle ownership, so there's no point in attempting to even discuss this.

There's already the insurance system and it works fine in my opinion - the idea was to extend these costs to properties and businesses.

8 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Right now, you pay 0,01% asset tax on an hourly basis, which starts when you're above $700.000. In my view, it makes sense to either increase this, or even better, separate property tax from asset taxes and tax these properties a little higher. I'd personally be in favor of multiplying it tenfold, since this provides some drive for players to shed off unused or underused properties. Even then, you'd have to have $800.000 worth of properties before the hourly property taxes actually start eating into your money. Anyone with assets below $700.000 obviously remains entirely unaffected.

That's not a bad suggestion. The majority of mid-wealth people remain unaffected until they reach a certain amount, and it offers more challenges for people that want to roleplay being extremely wealthy. 

On 10/19/2020 at 9:33 PM, Marksman said:

Some charts comparing the average income/bank accounts etcs over each year would be interesting to see, so we can better see how the economy is changing over the years.

Yeah, I would love to see some numbers or graphs  (total income from insurance, registration, vehicle sale taxes and so on. ) since I've always been curious on how much money is actually made from stuff like that.

One thing I'm personally against is the hourly paycheck after say 100 hours. Why do I get 800 an hour ‚‚unemployment'' check when my assets are north of 2 million? 800 per hour doesn't sound much, but when we take that on average during the hour there is ~150 players early and ~400 during the peak, we're talking at 120k early and 320k peak added per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...

3 hours ago, DjoleK said:

One thing I'm personally against is the hourly paycheck after say 100 hours. Why do I get 800 an hour ‚‚unemployment'' check when my assets are north of 2 million? 800 per hour doesn't sound much, but when we take that on average during the hour there is ~150 players early and ~400 during the peak, we're talking at 120k early and 320k peak added per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...

Government checks exist for unemployed people in real life.

1 hour ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

Government checks exist for unemployed people in real life.

Its hard to reap unemployment benefits when you own a business, a home and few cars. I never said remove it completely, just to 80% of population that would realistically never get it.

1 hour ago, cracked said:

Can staff please make a forum rule that states you can't make any threads in General about the server economy anymore? IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION, USE THE SUGGESTIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

We're just discussing man, relax. Before clogging the suggestions thread it's better to discuss certain topics - so if you don't have any arguments or opinions to state, please don't bother making rants in caps and bold - you're just being counter-productive.

1 hour ago, MartosG said:

We're just discussing man, relax. Before clogging the suggestions thread it's better to discuss certain topics - so if you don't have any arguments or opinions to state, please don't bother making rants in caps and bold - you're just being counter-productive.

the server economy is constantly moaned about

never once has there been a productive outcome from one of said moans or discussions

please show me otherwise if you disagree

17 minutes ago, cracked said:

the server economy is constantly moaned about

never once has there been a productive outcome from one of said moans or discussions

please show me otherwise if you disagree

A suggestion isn't going to change much either. A suggestion is more likely to be archived before any real discussion comes out of it because they're trying to keep the already long list of ideas clear.

A discussion is a better way to gage community interest, ideas, and opinions rather then trying to make a suggestion that half the community will hate and half will like. 

If you don't have anything to add the discussion then just don't comment. You're just waisting everyone's time at that point. 

15 hours ago, DjoleK said:

I don't mind that check, really. It covers your basic expenses and as long as the economy / government can throw around that cash since its not out of thin air? Why not. Especially when you are in a faction that doesn't offer any (script) pay, these 800 bucks are the only income you have if you stick to that one very faction/job. It also keeps the economy floating by indirectly encouraging people to go out and spend that very money - you are more likely to hit up a restaurant, café, bar or any of that sorts if you know you can realistically afford it both on an IC and OOC level rather than like "Shit, I'm losing $1.000 - $2.000 for that, but need to save up for X plans or pay bills / debts of that sorts." No everyone is a wealthy business owner and has millions on their bank account to spend x3 the value of a house placed on the real estate market.