Mechanic RP Overhaul - Car Changes

DoomedAmerica

Not a huge fan of this at least not the mechanic car holding part. If this was changed we would end up changing tons of the other systems that realistically would take a long time. For instance, the hospital. You just get dropped off at the hospital and released in a few minutes but it's roleplayed as being hours or even days later. There's lots of systems like this. 

The only system right now that's roleplayed as being somewhat more realistic in time is the prison system. The main reason for that is that is so that people aren't just committing crimes left and right only to be released an hour later. There's a punishment somewhat, IC and OOC to prevent tons of petty crime sprees. We shouldn't make the mechanic system feel like a punishment for wanting to mod your vehicle or initiate RP. 

What I think could be a good idea instead of your proposed mechanic car holds idea is to rework it. I think the idea could work good for a "NPC" shop where you drop it off if no other mechanic shops are open and then they take your car for say 1-2 hours to fix it, and you might get a text after that saying that your car is ready to pick up and it respawns outside. 

I don't mind the breakdown system, there's already a maintenance system but it's not as in depth as yours and yours could be better in theory. 

Edited by HerpToTheDerp
Phrasing in first line
8 hours ago, effion said:

I think we should all chime in ideas to make mechanic money more balanced in accordance to the server standards.

They obviously make a lot of money. As a lot of people in the Discord even suggested that we also need to have a balance between realism and having fun. Hopefully we can get some good ideas out of here!

Responding to this. I put this on another suggestion thread.

Honestly the easiest way to tackle mechanic pay is to cut the profit share down to 5%-10% or zero and make mechanics earn a flat hourly pay just like most of the jobs on the server. I think mechanics should be earning more than your typical 24/7 minimum wage worker, but also nothing too out of the ordinary. I'd say $5,000 - $6,000 an hour would be fair (Either 4K hourly + a SMALL profit share or a flat 5K-6K an hour). The idea is to eliminate the tendency of people to rush through jobs to fit in as many jobs as possible to make more money. If the commission was super low or non-existent and the hourly pay was a flat rate, I think there would be less money hungry people feeling the need to rush through every job and make room for more mechanics who enjoy the role play aspect of the job.

I'd have to sit down and actually do the math, but I think the garage owner could afford paying out the flat rate to mechanics especially if there's no commission payment to employees. All the modification money would go directly to the garage. I'd even argue that the whole "no labor charges" is unrealistic as well. To help offset the garage having to pay the employees a flat hourly wage, there could be a shop labor fee that goes directly to the garage bank (functioning kind of like a door entrance fee). Then shops can compete with different labor costs in the area and actually be able to set themselves apart from the rest, rather than every shop pulling this "oh there's no labor charge" crap. The garage benefits. Mechanic RP benefits. Win-win scenario for the overall health of mechanic and garage RP on the server.

6 hours ago, Sting McGee said:

Responding to this. I put this on another suggestion thread.

Honestly the easiest way to tackle mechanic pay is to cut the profit share down to 5%-10% or zero and make mechanics earn a flat hourly pay just like most of the jobs on the server. I think mechanics should be earning more than your typical 24/7 minimum wage worker, but also nothing too out of the ordinary. I'd say $5,000 - $6,000 an hour would be fair (Either 4K hourly + a SMALL profit share or a flat 5K-6K an hour). The idea is to eliminate the tendency of people to rush through jobs to fit in as many jobs as possible to make more money. If the commission was super low or non-existent and the hourly pay was a flat rate, I think there would be less money hungry people feeling the need to rush through every job and make room for more mechanics who enjoy the role play aspect of the job.

I'd have to sit down and actually do the math, but I think the garage owner could afford paying out the flat rate to mechanics especially if there's no commission payment to employees. All the modification money would go directly to the garage. I'd even argue that the whole "no labor charges" is unrealistic as well. To help offset the garage having to pay the employees a flat hourly wage, there could be a shop labor fee that goes directly to the garage bank (functioning kind of like a door entrance fee). Then shops can compete with different labor costs in the area and actually be able to set themselves apart from the rest, rather than every shop pulling this "oh there's no labor charge" crap. The garage benefits. Mechanic RP benefits. Win-win scenario for the overall health of mechanic and garage RP on the server.

Garage owners would get even richer if more money goes to the garage, and trust me they really don't need more money. Even if they'd pay the hourly wage out of the business funds it'd be pocket change compared to how much it earns. 

28 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Garage owners would get even richer if more money goes to the garage, and trust me they really don't need more money. Even if they'd pay the hourly wage out of the business funds it'd be pocket change compared to how much it earns. 

Then the amount a garage earns from each modification can be adjusted once again. Nervous used to have it at 50% of the value of the modification before adjusting it to 100%. Things can be tweaked to keep it within reasonable amounts.

Edited by Sting McGee

How would your suggestion improve the server?

(More RP for Taxi Drivers, for people who only have one car)
That depends on each player and how they want to RP around their vehicles. We shouldn't FORCE everyone to endure some cooldown timer every time a vehicle requires maintenance just because taxi drivers need more RP or because some people don't want to RP a broken car properly.

(Immersive RP for stuff like being stranded cause you got in a car accident)
Pretty sure that already happens, and if people refuse to RP that? Report them.

(More immersive RP for mechanics, having the car held at the garage for a longer amount of time)
I've tried that many times in two years of mechanic RP and people legit get offended if you take longer than 30 minutes to paint a car. If you try to keep their car to RP around it, they start asking questions OOC and accuse you of criminal activities IC. Simply put: no, because people want everything done in an instant.

(An actual realistic and immersive experience for people having to keep care of their cars.)
I've been around both sides of the car scene in-game (legal and illegal) and two years later I can count the amount of people willing to do that with just one hand. If we force people to deal with these new 'systems' and we can't keep up with the demand? We'll start seeing an increase of shit-tier mechanic roleplayers and half-assed technical RP in general.

As someone who RPs as a mechanic day in and day out, I can see why this may be slightly more enjoyable, as we actually like having to hold on to cars.

I, personally and others at the garage like having a car scene at the garage, whether they be customer cars or cars from the wider organisations/friends. A lot of those who are linked to us in one way or another, customer or friend will often get into crashes and RP them, even if the other party does not want to - they'll RP their damages and we'll fix them. Why? Well, our little garage has turned into a little community hub in itself and a lot of RP goes down there, even though it's not supported by the script. 

You always hear people complaining about how mechanics earn a load of cash for doing nothing - DM me or on the forums or on discord and I'll be more than happy to show you how much RP actually goes on behind the scenes. HOWEVER, yes, not all garages are like this and I personally do feel that SOME of the places need to have some drastic improvements, but that's not my place. I'd actually a support a system where people are actually made to RP some of the service changes on their car, whether it be a decrease in performance of the vehicle or general not starting issues and such - although I don't fully agree on the whole system of this suggestion, I could see this working if it were to be improved/adjusted slightly. 

But ey, good idea man 

I'd rather not because most businesses don't stay open for more than 2 hours and it would turn into waiting a couple days for your car because the server is not real life and a business is not open everyday for 8 hours at a time, I also don't think a car should be fully deteriorated after 5000 miles this is also completely UN-realistic, I feel like things would work better if we based the systems on realistic things so instead of your car self destrucintiing at 5000 miles per hour and cars being priced because they look nice