Mechanic RP Overhaul - Car Changes

DoomedAmerica

Short description:

People recently have brung it to my attention about changes that could be applied to mechanic and car RP, that in my opinion would make mechanic rp more enjoyable. I will be discussing two main topics, those being cars breaking down and cars being left in mechanic shops.

Detailed description:

?I will start off with explaining car breakdowns. ?

Every 250 miles a car drives its condition decreases by 5%

(As your cars condition decreases you will notice your car slowly start to have problems)

70-100% Little to no problems with the car.

50-70%  the car stuttering when starting, problems starting become noticable. 

25-50% cars handling and speed become heavily affected, the car will lose handling.

1-25% Cars start having a chance to breakdown as the cars condition decreases the breakdowns will become more noticable. 

? Mechanic car holds?

When you take your car into the mechanic shop it will be held longer for more immersive RP.

70-100% Car will be held at the mechanic shop for 2 hours.

50-70% Car will be held at the mechanic shop for 4 hours.

25-50% Car will be held at the mechanic shop for 6 hours.

1-25% Car will be held at the mechanic shop for 8 hours.

Mechanics will be forced to put the cars into a "hold" at the garage where they are worked on, for the designated time.

Mechanics can do the command /car maintenance and /release car to take the car in and to release the car.

Commands to add:

/car maintenance

(This command will place the car in a garage hold for the designated time, it will only be able to be taken out once the time is up.)

/car release 

This will spawn the car back in, only mechanics can do this after the timer has expired) 

Items to add:

None.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

(More RP for Taxi Drivers, for people who only have one car)

(Immersive RP for stuff like being stranded cause you got in a car accident)

(More immersive RP for mechanics, having the car held at the garage for a longer amount of time)
(An actual realistic and immersive experience for people having to keep care of their cars.)

Additional information:

Credit to @effion to inspiring me to write this.

• Upvote 1

Moved to General Discussions at the request of OP.

I think we should all chime in ideas to make mechanic money more balanced in accordance to the server standards.

They obviously make a lot of money. As a lot of people in the Discord even suggested that we also need to have a balance between realism and having fun.

Hopefully we can get some good ideas out of here!

What happens if the mechanic that works on my car, doesn't log in for a week after starting work on said car.
Could the command be tied to the business, rather than the individual? On that note, what if no one opens the business for x amount of days?

That's the only concern I would have, with something like this.

How exactly does this help with rp though, the car is just despawned for a few hours and the mechanics in a garage can't really rp with it unless they type the /me's without there being a visible car in the garage (which feels really dumb for sure). 

This won't make people call taxis, they'll use their secondary car or ask a friend instead. Just seems like an annoying system altogether, it's the earnings and complexity of the mechanic job that should be changed and not make it more annoying to own a car.

And really cars aren't nearly that fragile, it's so strange how 1.5k miles+ cars are seen as worn out or old on this server, while really your first 'maintenance' irl would probably be at 10-15k miles which is nothing. Not to mention said maintenance would be minor and your car would definitely not start stalling or 'stuttering'. The car system should ENCOURAGE sticking to one car and using it for long instead of switching cars weekly to avoid any long term costs. If a system like this would ever be implemented (which I think is a bad idea in this form personally) you shouldn't get any issues until your car's 'health' would be at 30% or so. And 5% per 250 miles would still be excessive. 

Perhaps introducing some more minor and quick things would be a better idea, such as tire condition, changing oil and filters. These things do need regular changes and would be much quicker to do while still giving you that sense of maintaining your car.

Edited by Shiro
  • Applaud 1

Lemme just chime in. The main concern I have is that Just that what @Misuu had said, this is not how cars work. The main purpose to maintain a car in the 1st place is to give it a longer life. Ideally, maintaining your car won't require as much repair on its parts. ((credits: https://magazine.northeast.aaa.com/daily/life/cars-trucks/benefits-maintaining-vehicle/)) In the process of the maintenance you would most probably change out the faulty parts, so really car maintenance, or maintaining a vehicle in general wouldn't work that way.

Though, even if you maintain it properly and whatnot, the car would still wear down but at a very slow and minor pace, so;

6 minutes ago, Shiro said:

- The car system should ENCOURAGE sticking to one car and using it for long instead of switching cars weekly to avoid any long term costs.
- If a system like this would ever be implemented, you shouldn't get any issues until your car's 'health' would be at 30% or so. And 5% per 250 miles would still be excessive. 

- Perhaps introducing some more minor and quick things would be a better idea, such as tire condition, changing oil and filters. These things do need regular changes and would be much quicker to do while still giving you that sense of maintaining your car.

suggestions like this would be more viable.

• Upvote 3

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing things like jumps and airborne maneuvers, or using a car that's obviously not meant for off-roading causing suspension issues. Electrical and light failures, like, one headlight or taillight goes out, blinker is blinking more rapidly than it should. Maybe eventual engine deterioration if you keep redlining it - this could also force people to use speed limiters and drive realistically to be gentle with their cars. Could also introduce minor nuances like oil leaking, which if not looked at could cause engine failure due to the lack of lubrication.

I thought we wanted to stray away from RGP suggestions, and this is what this suggestion is in a nutshell. Cars don't deteriorate after 250 miles, especially not brand new ones from the dealership, so that part is already weird in my eyes. Let alone forcing us to put our car in the garage for 8 hours at a time.

Where I live you usually give your car a maintenance check at around 6k miles (10k KM), and even that is just changing the oils and shit (I'm not a car guy) so I don't think we need to put our car thru maintenance every 250 miles, which is already excessive.

I can't agree to this — you're pretty much taking roleplay out of the equation in favor of realism. Not to mention that script-enforced roleplay is a bad practice that we don't want to accept in other areas (i.e. hunger / thirst scripts), so I don't know why this should be any different.

If there's anything I'd suggest, that is to tackle mechanic income (correct me if I'm wrong, but mechanics are currently the richest on the server?) and revamp upgrades — lose the abstractions of "Engine 1 through 4, Transmission 1 through 4" and introduce actual car parts based on in-game brands to make people go to mechanics and ask which brakes or which engines are better, "Dinka V6 or Pfister Something", for example.