IC Generosity on GTA:W.

yerro

Hey guys!

It seems there is an issue with excessive IC generosity on GTA World.

I've been roleplaying here for about a month and while my character isn't exactly hopelessly broke, they're not well-off either. Many — or many enough — encounters I have tend to get to the point where people are way too willing to throw money at my character.

I understand that it's pointless and wrong to mandate people's roleplay — if someone is roleplaying a compassionate, generous character, that's just what they're going to do, but can we please acknowledge the realism aspect in being willing to give someone a few thousand IG dollars (which I reckon equates to a few hundred IRL) to a nearly complete stranger, with no expectation of any reciprocity? Or give them a car if they're currently in between jobs, let them rent for free and so on?

Please consider your generosity and your character's needs. It may even make perfect sense for your character to be generous IC given that they have a well-paying job, but I'm pretty sure that they have both the immediate expenses like food, clothing and the need to indulge whatever habits they have, as well as bigger goals like saving up for a gadget, car, place, mortgage, tourism or to pay off their student loans, etc?

Kinda hoping I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Edited by yerro
  • Upvote 3
Just now, yerro said:

Haha, actually nope. :x But now that you say that, I feel like that issue is quadrupled for female chars.

It sure can be! However, not going to spam your thread too much with responses. You bring up an extremely valid point towards realism. I think with the economy we do have, influenced by the $5,000 pay checks, money is thrown around quite a bit. 

• Upvote 2

I mean a few hundred bucks ingame really only equates to a few dollars depending. Like I toss $200 like $20's. I pretty much just equate it to /10 or /20 of what the actual number of money being transfered is.

Like how is a single water bottle $30? Lol. But I agree, you can pretty much just say "I dont have money" and you'll have people lining up to give you a hand.

It's silly, for sure. The economy on this server is such a way where 20k really isn't a big deal to a lot of people, and they let you know it. I don't think there's anything that can really be done about it though. Unless we just like start shaming people OOCly about it then it's a IC issue. Make a big deal about it IC, show them how absurd it is through your RP. "Whoa!" *Wide eyed in amazement he called out. Looking the man over like his next potential robbery victim* "Where you live bro!?"

Otherwise not much can be done about it. 

Just now, Stes said:

I mean a few hundred bucks ingame really only equates to a few dollars depending. Like I toss $200 like $20's. I pretty much just equate it to /10 or /20 of what the actual number of money being transfered is.

Like how is a single water bottle $30? Lol. But I agree, you can pretty much just say "I dont have money" and you'll have people lining up to give you a hand.

Yep, I meant that they're willing to give a few thousand of IG cash which I assume equates to a few hundred IRL.

Just now, DirtNasty said:

It's silly, for sure. The economy on this server is such a way where 20k really isn't a big deal to a lot of people, and they let you know it. I don't think there's anything that can really be done about it though. Unless we just like start shaming people OOCly about it then it's a IC issue. Make a big deal about it IC, show them how absurd it is through your RP. "Whoa!" *Wide eyed in amazement he called out. Looking the man over like his next potential robbery victim* "Where you live bro!?"

Otherwise not much can be done about it. 

Yup, and I'm totally against shaming. I guess I'm hoping to just raise awareness with this thread.

I'm totally on board with your suggestion to roleplay a stunned reaction, as that's what I've done so far.

I think some of the reason is people having way too much money and no clue what to do with it, because there is next to no cost of living.

I usually tip to gas attendants and store clerks because they are working for 4000 an hour while I have $900,000 cash and no idea what to spend it on. However my character has a backstory of rags to riches which is why he is more adamant about tipping common workers.

Edited by icarusfeather
20 minutes ago, Lewwwy said:

Female character? 

Back when we had the Strawberry Bums up and running we'd have duos of a single man and woman post up outside businesses across the city, the men to stop any people who tried to get hands on and the women for sympathy and Jesus, we'd make like 5k in a night it was insane.

Try that as a single dude and the most you can make is like, 500 - 600 in a night.

I do wish the more well-off characters wouldn't always try to either fuck and/or save the homeless every chance they got though, gets a little old when you've got people pulling up in sports cars trying to be some knight in shining armor offering to buy them places to stay and cars when IRL people in them situations would turn their nose up at the homeless and consider them dangerous, and definitely not a quick fuck.

• Upvote 2