Lockpicking skill system

Short description: Add a lockpicking skill system similar to the weed growing skill system.

Detailed description: As of right now, lockpicking a car is based purely on luck, you get random percentages every time that don't take into consideration how skilled your character is in the lockpicking process, which in my opinion, can be improved. Weed growing has a leveling system where the more you plant seeds and grow weed, the higher your level, therefore the higher the chance of you getting a seed back, etc. I believe we should have a system where if you successfully break into X amount of cars, your level increases by one, which boosts your percentages of breaking into a car by 5-10%, and so on, for a maximum of 3 levels, with the highest level giving a 50% (Numbers are only an example, they can be altered) increase in chance, but obviously it would take a long long time for someone to get to that level, and your average carjacker would've been arrested or caught long before, so only the truly skilled and 'good' roleplayers would ever reach the highest level. 

Commands to add: No commands, only a leveling system.

Items to add: None

How would your suggestion improve the server? It would give more value to the car jacking scene and would make it more fair to people who spend hours and hours of development into low level criminals who do petty crime such as breaking into cars, etc.

Additional information: I don't think there's any real disadvantages to this, and in my opinion, it should've been implemented a long time ago.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1

Lockpicking is jank. I've had cars open in one try with very low percentages (30%), and multiple lockpicks break on the same vehicle with high percentages (74%+). Granted, it is a personal choice to lockpick or not given the success rates but picks aren't cheap at 3-5k a pop and most of the time, give very low rewards.

Adding a lockpicking skill system may be a viable option to help with this. With the recent revamping of the Alarms on vehicles, perhaps we could look at revamping the lockpicking skill as well? I support revamping the system for sure.

Edited by ChaosOne
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I would love this. As someone who roleplays actual lockpicking involving raking pins and holding down lock bars, alongside RPing slipping jimmies through windows, I feel this adds a whole lot to the scene when it comes to illegal cars. It fosters realistic, organic roleplay, allowing for characters to develop and grow more experienced. It also adds some amount of progression, to allow for a less random approach to breaking into cars.

On a sidenote, I would add the addition of an all-around increase in lockpicking difficulty. It should be a base number, less random. As it stands, whenever I have less than 2 lockpicks and the percentage is less than 60%, I /vbreakinstop to save my cash. I would add that with these changes, the percentage should be hidden. 

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, CocainePVP said:

Honestly, I would love this. As someone who roleplays actual lockpicking involving raking pins and holding down lock bars, alongside RPing slipping jimmies through windows, I feel this adds a whole lot to the scene when it comes to illegal cars. It fosters realistic, organic roleplay, allowing for characters to develop and grow more experienced. It also adds some amount of progression, to allow for a less random approach to breaking into cars.

On a sidenote, I would add the addition of an all-around increase in lockpicking difficulty. It should be a base number, less random. As it stands, whenever I have less than 2 lockpicks and the percentage is less than 60%, I /vbreakinstop to save my cash. I would add that with these changes, the percentage should be hidden. 

Exactly this! Back when I lockpick'd a lot, I would RP the hell out of out my lockpicking actions. Pushing lockpicks in, depressing metallic pins, hearing clicks, smiling as I continue to work on the lock, etc, multiple lines of RP. I'd LOVE to bring that back again if this system gets revamped! 

+1 on the percentages being hidden. I also stop when at a low percentage as well which isn't very roleplay/realistic friendly. Also, has anyone noticed that you need to /as after /vbreakinstop? I know that changed a while back, but why have this extra /animstop after the /vbreakinstop command? It used to automatically stand you up.

As someone who's had multiple characters involved in petty crime and poverty which have been directly effected by the RNG system that is currently the lock picking mini game in GTA:W I think this is an excellent suggestion, probably the best suggestion I have ever seen on this forum.

I support this. 

I think it can open an avenue for actual car thieves - especially ones who can steal high end vehicles. However what I think should be added to this if it took off would be a skill degradation over time. Because otherwise what you'll have is people who will grind the skill to max level once and then be convenient car thieves when it suits them.

It's a skill, and skills require practice. Or fancy equipment and since we don't have fancy equipment to assist for that in game, it should be a skill that deteriorates over time if not kept up. Same way our addiction script can work.