Characters that call 911 when suiciding

Zani

9 minutes ago, Trout said:

I dont know about this but I know there is a portion of people to drop a call like *A NPC calls 911 to report someone is about to jump off the Vinewood Sign* when they are preparing to CK and in my opinion this is straight up a "give me attention" call. Sure I can appreciate the fact that your character can be confused about things and call 911 but if you're roleplaying someone who will jump and doesn't have any second thoughts IC and you need some PD/FD to orchestrate it for you so it can be more dramatic.. I don't like this.

Well it's a game. If it becomes anything else to someone, we have a serious problem. But yes people should take slightly different approach, cause it's roleplaying after all. While you shouldn't be dead serious all the time, you also shouldn't take it lightly.

Calling the 911 because you're about to end your mallrat character makes no sense, but if a second character (a friend or whatever) calls the 911 to alert the authorities about your suicide is legit. 

Recently a real friend of mine killed himself and I am 101% sure that he didn't call the police. Calling for this reason is not realistic, it is a blatant attempt to attract attention on you(r character). If your character wants to be helped because is about to commit a suicide you should rp talking with friends or associations who could take care of your character, or send vague messages. Usually a suicide is silent and you shouldn't shout it. 

1 hour ago, Wirbelwind said:

If you don't like suicide calls, don't go to them. There's absolutely no need to restrict people from making certain calls: Your character also has the option to ignore them. Make up an excuse, they aren't an everyday thing.

The problem is when someone who is about to kill himself calls the 911. Is not realistic 

I think the person who does this with full intentions of CK should atleast have the courtesy to inform the officers that they intend to CK and not stall the scene for too long.

Yes, suicide calls happen IRL - but back when I was PD, it went from "this is great development for my character" to "I'd rather go off duty." and that's an issue I know a lot of officers have atm.

I know how frustrating these calls can be to deal with from the first responder side of things. Usually I'm one of the people that end up talking to the suicidal person IC so nobody else has to go through with it. Unfortunately, good RP has been the exception in these scenarios and not the norm. 

Too many characters turn to suicide too quickly for it to be realistic in my opinion. Someone will go through a break up and suddenly want to kill themselves. Sure, people have been suicidal after relationships end in real life but those are the longer term relationships and there's usually a lot more going on in the background to push them that direction. There isn't the same level of depth here. Even after being talked down and given plenty of RP from those RPing medical staff, these people somehow end up being suicidal again.

There is just too many people who like creating drama around their characters constantly. Drama happens in real life but some characters just go out of their way to create it. It can be draining to deal with if you have a character involved. These characters that are always creating drama sometimes call 911 and say they're suicidal which I think is what has a lot of people posting on this thread. If a character is driven to suicide and calls 911 as a call for help as a result of months of character development, it can be enjoyable. If someone has no substance to their character and is just using it as another way to seek attention because they've got nothing else going on with the character, it's usually a piss-poor experience. Jumping is usually how they get this attention too which drains a ton of law enforcement and fire department resources. Most of these players would prefer to be doing other things rather than dealing with someone that loves seeking attention.

• Upvote 3

I feel many people, as Keane said above, turn to suicide too quickly. Especially in a city full of violence and illegal activity, much more so than IRL (in comparison to how much legal activity goes on) it's very easy to always focus on the negative. Characters should have more resilience and stop going down the route of depression and suicide as their way of 'making RP' for others - because whilst it brings attention to you, it's usually not fun RP.

There's lots of valid points and positions being raised throughout the thread, but I want to echo one that hits home.

People that roleplay a suicidal situation have most likely decided the outcome for their character, and aren't willing to bend that story. That seems to be the worst factor to the whole thing, attention-whoring and all the rest set aside.

I don't want any rules introduced against this because putting limits on roleplay is meh, but this subject—among many—definitely deserves more attention.

Edited by yerro
5 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Suicide RP should fall under offensive server rules.

While a player should be allowed to kill their character in order to make a new one, bringing other players into such RP without consent is frankly shocking and displays a complete lack of emotional understanding of just what it is to go through the aftermath of such an event.

This is a roleplay server. People roleplay transgender prostitutes, junkies, and have vivid 80 paragraph /me sex in interiors constantly.This is where you draw the line? ?

• Upvote 2