Characters that call 911 when suiciding

Zani

Stupid examples of portrayal should be punished but hey, people do weird shit IRL when they're on the edge so I'm 50/50 on it.

Think of situations where people have killed their families and calmly called the police to confess, or people like Paul Michael Stephani, its a weirdly grey area to police when it comes to RP.

I see a lot of people with zero experience talking as if they got 20 years in the force.

I'm a police officer IRL and there are tons of suicidal calls. It's neither me or you who can decide why they do it, that's a police psychologist to deal with. Suicidal people are mainly people who lack attention and do the 9-1-1 calls to attract attention towards them, a big percentage of them do not jump but simply have the thought and threathen, at least that's what we believe over here.

And yes, some of the calls you will run in are not just shootings and pursuits, you gotta deal with the not so enjoyable side of stuff as well.

And honestly, the suicide calls you guys receive here are not even close to what happens IRL, so really - dont complain.

And to the people complaining they witness stuff like that, hey - you're playing a 18+ game. Deal with it, really. It's not bad to be a soft person but dont go around spreading it to everyone just because you feel that way. Look away and move on, if it's too much for you - maybe consider another game that is aimed towards a 0-14 age area, where you will not witness stuff like that.

Funny enough, almost all of you have no issue shooting and murdering people, blowing their brains out, but are instantly sick when they see a suicide.

Edited by zaXer.
  • Upvote 13
  • Applaud 2

Sure, it does happen in real life. I’d estimate I go to one actual suicide attempt a set, with at least one mental health call a day. But the fact of the matter is that in Los Santos, the amount of people willing; wanting to throw their lives away at the drop of a hat has become so completely disproportionate to real life that it is unrealistic, unfun, and annoying to deal with at this point.

26 minutes ago, Westen said:

Sure, it does happen in real life. I’d estimate I go to one actual suicide attempt a set, with at least one mental health call a day. But the fact of the matter is that in Los Santos, the amount of people willing; wanting to throw their lives away at the drop of a hat has become so completely disproportionate to real life that it is unrealistic, unfun, and annoying to deal with at this point.

Los Santos is a city riddled with drugs, violence, whores and people willing to do anything to get their piece of pie. Oh and yes, wealthy characters who have nothing better to do than flashing off their guns at random people. It's a city of SIN with big SIN, not just lil'one. I'd say the amount of suicides from this madness is rather low. And this is meant both ironically and roleplay-wise as well. Los Santos, ultimately drags in everyone unaware of it's quicksands.

• Upvote 1

The whole aspect of calling 911 is purely for attention, these people want to draw a crowd, obviously. I get that people will want to suicide there character off, but like stated by most people here, if they're gonna do it, fine, do it on your own though. Don't drag people away who're actually roleplaying seriously to just "/me jumps." 

The suicide attempt calls which are genuine shouldn't ever be from the person doing it, but more from concerned family members. "My son said he was going to kill himself and then hasn't been seen for hours, please help", things like that make sense...

It definitely needs looking at.

1 hour ago, Law said:

These calls is what desensitised me to suicidal characters and need to be regulated for sure. Not sure how often this happens on GTAW but it almost always makes me frustrated with the players that choose to do this.

Oh man. You know there’s so many great posts on this thread but this hit close. This is literally me. For my first or second call I would roleplay heavily on the effects but afterwards I’m kinda like.... nah. I know there’s people in the community that just do it for attention to their character. I’ve stopped caring honestly, which is why I couldn’t join a division like Crisis Negotiation.

I also did not expect such responses. I for some reason felt people would ridicule this view (because let people RP what they want!) but it seems I’m not the only one who sees this issue. 

I truly believe it should either fall under offensive roleplay or you should require admin permission to make a suicide attempt public like that, because you should have to explain the likelihood of your character being helped or not. If they could, sure, if not, just do what you gotta do. 

Like one said in this post, why is it a jump? Clearly, it’s for the attention. Sad reality is that these characters are quickly forgotten. Overdoses, as I’ve heard, are much more common in women whole men take a messier route. I obviously don’t want to mention any  specifics due to respect for the real life issue of suicide being a serious one.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, zaXer. said:

Suicidal people are mainly people who lack attention and do the 9-1-1 calls to attract attention towards them, a big percentage of them do not jump but simply have the thought and threathen, at least that's what we believe over here.

And to the people complaining they witness stuff like that, hey - you're playing a 18+ game. Deal with it, really. It's not bad to be a soft person but dont go around spreading it to everyone just because you feel that way. Look away and move on, if it's too much for you - maybe consider another game that is aimed towards a 0-14 age area, where you will not witness stuff like that.

Funny enough, almost all of you have no issue shooting and murdering people, blowing their brains out, but are instantly sick when they see a suicide.

The thing is, here, 95 percent of people jump. It’s just a call for attention because they want their character to ‘go out with a bang’ in a sense. Whereas you said most people who do call 911 won’t jump or commit.

I don’t think the ‘18+ game’ argument really works that well. For one, underage individuals are allowed to play on GTA W. Second, it doesn’t mean it’s a free for all in terms of roleplay. The offensive roleplay rule is there for a reason and I think that someone who’s either gone through this issue themselves or has seen it with a loved one/friend, they should be allowed to excuse themselves. I’m sure we can agree that it’s a very depressing/traumatic experience or topic for some, so I believe that if someone doesn’t want to be involved in that roleplay, they shouldn’t have to be.

I somewhat agree but also disagree with posts.

Claiming its unrealistic for suicidal people to call 911 is a long mile because I am fairly sure no one did any real research before saying this. As someone has mentioned, if you call 911, you speak to a dispatcher who will then talk to the person and help them in any way while dispatching units. On this server, you just get a prompt with units are on their way and you must hope that units are responding. 

In real life, there would be units responding in massive forces and the appropriate resources would be stand-by and respond. Here, you must hope some of them are online and able to be dispatched. 

This is GTA, meaning that all of the locations are accessible for people to explore and discover. The construction crane is a popular method to yeet yourself off but an construction site in real life would have measures to prevent people from accessing the site and the cranes. You wouldn't be able to just walk up to the crane, climb up and stand there. 

I'm not in favor of restricting it, people should be able to roleplay whatever they want for whatever purpose. This doesn't mean that people who simply decide to suicide on the spot should be able to do so. There needs to be better enforcement on these people but then again, no one wants to respond to a situation and be met with an admin situation. It's a complicated subject but we should not restrict and prevent people with anymore rules.

4 minutes ago, Tseard said:

I somewhat agree but also disagree with posts.

Claiming its unrealistic for suicidal people to call 911 is a long mile because I am fairly sure no one did any real research before saying this. As someone has mentioned, if you call 911, you speak to a dispatcher who will then talk to the person and help them in any way while dispatching units. On this server, you just get a prompt with units are on their way and you must hope that units are responding. 

In real life, there would be units responding in massive forces and the appropriate resources would be stand-by and respond. Here, you must hope some of them are online and able to be dispatched. 

This is GTA, meaning that all of the locations are accessible for people to explore and discover. The construction crane is a popular method to yeet yourself off but an construction site in real life would have measures to prevent people from accessing the site and the cranes. You wouldn't be able to just walk up to the crane, climb up and stand there. 

I'm not in favor of restricting it, people should be able to roleplay whatever they want for whatever purpose. This doesn't mean that people who simply decide to suicide on the spot should be able to do so. There needs to be better enforcement on these people but then again, no one wants to respond to a situation and be met with an admin situation. It's a complicated subject but we should not restrict and prevent people with anymore rules.

I think what you said is spot on, I think it can be realistic if done properly... I'm guessing it's more the calls coming in that say "i'm gonna do it".. That cause the problems!

If it was roleplayed more realistically, then it'd be taken more seriously, I guess?