Limit RNG RP

Matthew

Hello,

I am suggesting to limit RNG (/coin, /roll, etc) RP’s usage to only certain situations. It is very weird to see people use /coin as a way to decide an outcome of their /mes and it's common to see people use it in every situation and try to say as long as they got heads then they win. People should instead roleplay out the situation and think of how their character would realistically perform, rather than relying on the script. This also isn't /coin's intended purpose.

Edit: Using /coin or /rnumber in situations like playing pool or sports games ICly should be fine. It should depend on the situation but definitely shouldn't be used in many circumstances at all.

Edit 2: On second thoughts I wouldn’t mind keeping this if all parties involved in the RP consented to it OOC. This way, everyone is happy. This was how it works on most Gmod text based RP servers.

Edited by Matthew
  • Upvote 4

I agree. It's very RPGish for /coin roleplay to occur, on a heavy roleplay server the parties involved in the roleplay should be competent enough to figure out their own outcome for the situation rather than relying on a script to do so.

I've always used /rnumber 1-100 for things like playing handball, basketball, pool et cetera. Anything else I just roleplay doing. People should be able to implement a loss into their roleplay without requiring script support. (which sounds contradictory to my first statement but they're games. If you roleplay winning/losing all the time it gets boring) If you're running, you don't need to /coin to see if your character is out of breath, or if they'd trip. Roleplay it yourself. You're not two-face from batman. The coin doesn't decide your life.

Sometimes it's just more for fun and flavor, to add a little bit of randomness and chance to things. I definitely see some people make an emote--such as "/me throws a punch"--and then couple it with a /flipcoin as if that automatically means that, on a heads, they hit. I'm not the biggest fan of that. It is my opinion that good conflict roleplay requires at least a little bit of OOC communication--in the case of an RP fight, it's usually a good idea just to chat with the other player for a second to figure out how you'd like to resolve things. Do you want to do pure roleplay where it's 100% text? Do you  want to do one flipcoin to figure out which character "wins" at the end? Do you want to roll or flip coins as you go?

I roleplay with a lot of fantastic roleplayers who use /flipcoin to determine the outcome, especially for light-hearted or irrelevant things. It's entertaining and it makes for some fun moments. For instance, I roleplayed my character flipping a quarter at someone yesterday. It's something that's possible, but I don't want to be the one to make the call and say my character flawlessly executes it. So it's more fun to /flipcoin because sometimes you fail and sometimes you succeed. It's fun to have something tell you to RP a failure, and it's fun to have it sometimes tell you that you succeed.

I see no reason to make any rules about this. If you see someone using /flipcoin as an excuse to PG, just kindly inform them that you don't agree about /flipcoin determining outcomes at you.

• Upvote 1

If two people are doing two actions that are directly against one another then there needs to be a way to decide who 'wins' that action. 

/roll and /flipcoin are both good for this. 

Other than that it's good to add some randomness to actions - be it with drastic or small outcomes.

1 minute ago, Tree said:

If two people are doing two actions that are directly against one another then there needs to be a way to decide who 'wins' that action. 

/roll and /flipcoin are both good for this. 

Other than that it's good to add some randomness to actions - be it with drastic or small outcomes.

That's honestly awful. A script shouldn't determine whether my character is capable of doing something or not. 

The abilities of your character based on its weaknesses and strenghts. Declan explained it above:

18 minutes ago, Declan said:

People should be able to implement a loss into their roleplay without requiring script support. (which sounds contradictory to my first statement but they're games. If you roleplay winning/losing all the time it gets boring) If you're running, you don't need to /coin to see if your character is out of breath, or if they'd trip. Roleplay it yourself. You're not two-face from batman. The coin doesn't decide your life.

Just now, colorlessrainbow said:

The abilities of your character based on its weaknesses and strenghts. Declan explained it above:

Sure, but what if there are two people who are both stating different outcomes in their emotes? How do you decide the outcome?

• Developer

Im 50-50, some people could argue in a way that using coin or some other coincidence method allows them to somewhat have unique RP, to decide what their character would do or not.

E.g. /me tries to grab Jane Doe by her arm holding her down.

Then jane does /me tries to dodge the grab.

/coin

If heads she manages to dodge if tails then she failed.

Its making such RP more fair for both parties imo.

• Upvote 2
  • mj2002 locked this topic