TO IFM - What Is It You Want?

Kuma

3 minutes ago, arkan said:

faction wise, all eastern organized crime groups seem to have a small percentage of each group. in fact? i think they've also started limiting who can play what due to eastern organzied crime being more of an armenian controlled field in the west coast. maybe if that was what people wanted to do instead of a full blown full X ethnicity crime group operating on its own it'd be allowed but i aint FM so cant speak on that.

I think if you can portray a high standard and know what you are doing and take it seriously, then it should not be a problem. Remember we are here in a game, not in life. There are a lot of things that are not realistic already in the server, why should you drag it there? There have already been Albanian factions by the way, so that is not the problem, Albanians exist and it should not be considered unrealistic to RP an Albanian crime group or any other minority faction with a relatively small number of members. Why do you want to limit RP if it meets the guidelines and upholds a high standard?

7niNHMK.png

19 minutes ago, ingenv said:

I think if you can portray a high standard and know what you are doing and take it seriously, then it should not be a problem. Remember we are here in a game, not in life. There are a lot of things that are not realistic already in the server, why should you drag it there? There have already been Albanian factions by the way, so that is not the problem, Albanians exist and it should not be considered unrealistic to RP an Albanian crime group or any other minority faction with a relatively small number of members. Why do you want to limit RP if it meets the guidelines and upholds a high standard?

7niNHMK.png

yeah... who would have thought... a heavy roleplay server would want to stay realistic to what it's portraying IRL... 

39 minutes ago, DeadPlaya said:

it's always the albanians...

This topic was never started with the intention of it being derailed into a Yakuza/Albanian thing, hence why I never mentioned any specific factions in the first post. It's about the "continuity" of the server, what it means, and what it means to factions. 

38 minutes ago, arkan said:

yeah... who would have thought... a heavy roleplay server would want to stay realistic to what it's portraying IRL... 

I'd like to steer us away from the Albanian topic, but while we're here a sec. The server has already had an Albanian faction(s). It's not about the realism, it's about continuity. Also the lil' wiki post you cropped out, that same post right above it shows the numbers have been increasing in Albanians in the US in general. (Not to mention, the numbers would be WAY off, due to illegal immigration, and people generally not doing the US census.).

Pwn3ksK.jpg

Now you take that number, add that at a consistent rate, which seems its been trending upwards. You think 100K+ Albanians wouldn't be somewhere in LA, one of the biggest cities in the US and a major port? You think those out East guys, don't have any connections out west.

Two, the same page, had Albanian Americans to be exact right above, which they also have a little sentence showing where they are, one of them being L.A. specifically after they use the words "Southern California". 

rDwacPy.png

So regardless, they' are there. Nobody is RPing a fresh off the boat Albanian. 

Now, I'd likely won't be responding to anything specifically Albanian or w/e. Anything else you can PM me, or whoever else I guess, but let's keep the specifics out.

Now, to the topic at hand. What's is the servers continuity, what's been done, what's allowed and what's not?

Edited by Kuma
Can't spell.

who the fuck cares bro just let people do whst they find fun, these niggas really pulling up statistics to say u cant rp as a specific race, it's los santos not LA so all of ur arguments are flawed anyways since it has been said many times by adminstration that they're not directly simulating LA.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Shekh said:

who the fuck cares bro just let people do whst they find fun, these niggas really pulling up statistics to say u cant rp as a specific race, it's los santos not LA so all of ur arguments are flawed anyways since it has been said many times by adminstration that they're not directly simulating LA.

This. 

1 hour ago, arkan said:

ethnic balkan numbers in los angeles, if we are still on the albanian topic. Screenshot_20200929-012028_Chrome.jpg

alb. pop throughout the US

I am laughing my ass off at your "balkan" wisdom. You're saying there are 0 Albanians, Greeks, Romanians, Bulgarians combined?
What is a "Kosovar" nationality? We are Albanians too.

Not idea where you got this broken statistic from.

Edited by Daquan Kingston
5 hours ago, Свето said:

There's a ethnic Croatian neighbourhood in LA, and in the early 2000s there was a Bulgarian DTO importing cocaine in L.A. 

But in my opinion, small scale factions of XYZ ethnic group should be allowed, assuming they remain a realistic size.

Yeah, I feel you bro, but we ain't in the early 2000s right now. I don't disagree that you can RP your Bulgarian crime group, I'm simply using it as an example to why can you do it but we can't as Albanians? Within the continuity?

And as it seems right now we aren't even rping from an LA perspective?

Edited by ingenv
uhuh
14 minutes ago, ingenv said:

Yeah, I feel you bro, but we ain't in the early  2000s right now. I don't disagree that you can RP your Bulgarian crime group, I'm simply using it as an example to why can you do it but we can't as Albanians? Within the continiuty?

And as it seems right now we aren't even rping from an LA perspective?

You would need to ask IFM, apart from that, you seem to have missed my point completely. You were trying to use Yugoslav or other generally South Slavic countries as an example, when they, if we're basing this off LA, would have a much larger presence than Albanians, with some 40-50 thousand Croatian Americans living in LA, and a similar amount of Serbian Americans, atop that, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Macedonian and Bosnian minority groups as well.

Within the continuity, well, that's simple, it all ties into server events, that's what the continuity is, same continuity I was asked about when creating my faction almost half a year ago now. That continuity is why Armenian and other Eurasian presence is mentioned on my faction thread. 

Yeah, let's keep crossing concepts out as if there is an active LCN family, an Irish-American OCG in the west coast or anywhere near it.

Let's also come up with a ratio & limit the number of characters for each descent based on the LA population.

I can go on and on, but the quoted post really sums it all up. 

Point being, if someone is coming off reasonable, doing their own thing, respecting all the server rules in the process, there's absolutely nothing wrong in letting them have a shot. If they start going completely out of line, they can always be shut. If they're subpar in general, they won't get any traction and eventually die out.

On 6/12/2020 at 5:57 PM, rootless cosmopolitan said:

What if I just want to run a faction with some friends? What if I just want to have fun? I still don't see why I have to join a faction just because they were there first. Also, that "us vs. them" attitude you're so keen to discard has kept this game mode fun for a decade. We're here to have fun, right? Is this a game or am I missing something here?

Cosa Nostra is a great example for why restricting people from role playing what they want is really stupid. There hasn't been a significant TOC (Traditional Organized Crime) presence in Los Angeles since the nineties. If you read Department of Justice's reports to California State Legislature, you'll be able to see that trend quite clearly. 

This is a excerpt from 1996 report by Department of Justice:

055c8c4263b66e9fd7abed303e466fcd.png

They're still around but they're not as powerful as they used to be. Department of Justice still reports their activities to State Legislature. Things have changed since 1980's. 

This report (1986) is almost entirely dedicated to TOC 

d0414da0ddc88e4a310f10944f039b2c.png

Moving forward, TOC and La Cosa Nostra are mentioned less and less, and they ultimately disappear from the reports altogether.

3a92c669c2dc153259b43e7722d0e7fa.png

This is 2004.

aa6ff183ad43991b44c3b0c3f681be0c.png

This from 2007-2008. They're no longer mentioned as a threat.

487fdcc409a35a59f2b1a4a3552e4293.png

This is 2010

9627724dd605039d836090e1bb529136.png

Los Angeles crime family has been defunct for at least fifteen years. They're no longer viewed as a major threat by the authorities, their members are getting older and their rackets are less profitable. This isn't just a West Coast phenomenon either, New York crime families are also weak. They're almost extinct.

I know Wikipedia isn't really a good source of in depth information, but I think this is a good summary. 

afa83c79b0ab36911665fe282035846f.png

My point is, if we're so concerned with realism and high quality role play, why do we still act like we're in a Scorsese mob flick centered around eighties New York? Shouldn't we cap the amount of Italians to ten, maybe twenty? Why don't we just cap their average age to fifty. Maybe we should restrict what kind of rackets they're allowed to operate? This would be ridiculous, but it would also enforce a higher standard.

There are two major LCN factions operating right now. One seems to be trying their best to accurately portray West Coast TOC, but they're still falling short, and the other one is pure dog shit (I won't name names). Both were approved by faction management, both were deemed to be good enough for this community. High quality role play is a very subjective term and as I have demonstrated, if we're really anal about it, not a single LCN faction, past or present, should be accepted by faction management. 

Role play isn't about bringing something new to the table, it's about character development and dynamic storytelling. We should encourage people to role play what they want, and if their portrayal is wrong or they make mistakes, we should punish them in character, not out of character. There should also be a healthy balance between what is fun and what is realistic. A one to one recreation of LA would probably require eighty percent of people on this server to change the way they role play. Using a bogus standard to determine who gets to role play what is wrong.

• Upvote 3

Something I always found amusing was that Yakuza based factions are strictly denied, yet in real life they have a known presence in the west coast of America for the primary purposes of smuggling and money laundering.

I'm not a criminal roleplayer, but I can't say it any nicer: from the outside looking in, I've seen nothing but incompetence from illegal faction management the entire time I've been on this server.

• Bospy locked this topic