The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

If theres people doing nooby things then I believe that falls on the rpers an portrayal.  Venice is a rich area but it is not without gang activity.  Venice 13, Venice Shoreline Crips are just two.  Theres quite a few reviews from people who live in and outside of the area that say the beach is amazing but avoid the neighborhoods  Best I can say is report poor portrayal rpers and from a IC standpoint get police involved discreetly..

Vespucci from an IC stand point has always been portrayed as a progressive area that has been heavily affected by gentrification. This should come as no surprise that a gang will be here. Not saying that gang rpers don't act like it's the 90s, some do but not all. In the same breath, regular civilians should probably roleplay around that and not just think they're in some paradise and are above getting retaliated on. Just be normal and not the arrogant playboy millionaire that some people make themselves out to be.

In the same breath, if you're a local, act like it and if you're a gang member, respect people roleplaying as locals and trying to give the area you're in life outside of your faction.

Edited by Jedai
  • Upvote 1

Jedai explained it perfectly, "Gentrification" Just because your tearing down buildings and adding new homes. Doesn't mean the gang's are just gonna get up and leave, too much history along with it. Here's an example, Echo Park. Which used to be high predominantly Hispanic area is now known as "Hippy Central" this is cause of Gentrification.  
  All of Southern California cities are ghetto ridden suburbs, from Orange County to Oxnard, to San Diego to Los Angeles. More and more, just because it has a nice beach, palm trees and normal looking houses doesn't mean anything. 
Take note here.

Notice the long beautiful palm trees? The nice looking houses? Don't judge a book by it's cover 

Edited by LaRazaBaby

I find it absolutely hilarious because the people who complain about bad gang roleplayers are the same people who walk around with their chest out acting like a B-roll Punisher that served x years and is now a middle to upper class carbon copy of Russo. The terrible roleplay goes both ways, it really does. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but let me run down some facts for you some people seem to forget.

The geography of the game is something everyone seems to ignore. Venice is a huge area that isn’t just nice fancy neighborhood for the rich. Vespucci is the creative recreation of that and much like the rest of Los Santos it is compressed in scale. And much like it’s real counterpart Vespucci isn’t just a rich area, and there are plenty of “bad” areas to be found. Much like the real world our Vespucci has it’s gang and street culture. 

A tourist trap isn’t a safeguard for robberies and muggings. Nor does being in a rich fancy neighborhood give you a cloak of protection. In fact, these neighborhoods are more often than not the target for these crimes. The only difference with real life is that the methods are often different. And they are different because of how the game works, much like real life people adapt to operate within the world they live in. A lot of people walk around Vespucci thinking they’re John Wayne making them an easy target for guns and other valuables. A lot of people also sabotage roleplay when subjected to a robbery. And with the way the rules are set up it makes sense for most people to commit high intensity and high impact robberies with violence. Because while we can argue the value of roleplay, the community isn’t like that. People are always upping each other and consideration and courtesy is the exception rather than the expectation. So you’ll be hard pressed to find these nice robbers because they cannot survive and most definitely can’t thrive in the world we have created for each other. 

And what you see is what you get. People point fingers left and right except at themselves. You get PF bulls talking smack to a whole gang on their turf while they have no business being there and should’ve just stayed in their little smoothie shop. The attitudes some of these people have is a creation of their own mismanagement. They’ll forget that their character exists outside of their non violent friend circle. You get a “legal” character arguing with a 16 year old doped up gangbanger and ranting like they’re about to tip the fedora. They’ll keep pushing buttons and acting wild themselves only to be completely surprised when they get their socks knocked off. You get what you give. And while I know the good and the bad of gang roleplay I also know some of the Vespucci gangs and that they’re no worse than any of the people roleplaying there. It’s a two way street, and people seem to forget that. Mutual understanding can go a long way. 

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 4
Just now, eTaylor said:

I find it absolutely hilarious because the people who complain about bad gang roleplayers are the same people who walk around with their chest out acting like a B-roll Punisher that served x years and is now a middle to upper class carbon copy of Russo. The terrible roleplay goes both ways, it really does. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but let me run down some facts for you some people seem to forget.

The geography of the game is something everyone seems to ignore. Venice is a huge area that isn’t just nice fancy neighborhood for the rich. Vespucci is the creative recreation of that and much like the rest of Los Santos it is compressed in scale. And much like it’s real counterpart Vespucci isn’t just a rich area, and there are plenty of “bad” areas to be found. Much like the real world our Vespucci has it’s gang and street culture. 

A tourist trap isn’t a safeguard for robberies and muggings. Nor does being in a rich fancy neighborhood give you a cloak of protection. In fact, these neighborhoods are more often than not the target for these crimes. The only difference with real life is that the methods are often different. And they are different because of how the game works, much like real life people adapt to operate within the world they live in. A lot of people walk around Vespucci thinking they’re John Wayne making them an easy target for guns and other valuables. A lot of people also sabotage roleplay when subjected to a robbery. And with the way the rules are set up it makes sense for most people to commit high intensity and high impact robberies with violence. Because while we can argue the value of roleplay, the community isn’t like that. People are always upping each other and consideration and courtesy is the exception rather than the expectation. So you’ll be hard pressed to find these nice robbers because they cannot survive and most definitely can’t thrive in the world we have created for each other. 

And what you see is what you get. People point fingers left and right except at themselves. You get PF bulls talking smack to a whole gang on their turf while they have no business being there and should’ve just stayed in their little smoothie shop. The attitudes some of these people have is a creation of their own mismanagement. They’ll forget that their character exists outside of their non violent friend circle. You get a “legal” character arguing with a 16 year old doped up gangbanger and ranting like they’re about to tip the fedora. They’ll keep pushing buttons and acting wild themselves only to be completely surprised when they get their socks knocked off. You get what you give. And while I know the good and the bad of gang roleplay I also know some of the Vespucci gangs and that they’re no worse than any of the people roleplaying there. It’s a two way street, and people seem to forget that. Mutual understanding can go a long way. 

Sorry, we don't allow the truth here. 

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Preach bro, preach..

Jesus this turned to a shit throwing contest real fast, no, gangs in Vespucci shouldn't be removed, because if you look at the area of Vespucci where they are located, it's rundown, or at least parts of it. I agree, some parts of Vespucci should be relatively crime-free, but drawing a hard drawn OOC line of where crime is allowed to be done is just plain stupid, especially in a pedestrian area. Adding onto to that, arguing real life LA vs LS in-game doesn't hold up 1-1 either, because news flash, the real LA is more than ten times as big as the GTA map. If we're going to roleplay it 1-1, than no one should be able to drive up to Sandy just to have a beer at a bar, unless they live in Sandy Shores, because it would be a multiple hour drive, but, I guess it's convenient to shout "OH 1-1 realism is needed here and there" when it helps your opinion. 

Most of the "low level" RP done in Vespucci is not done by factions, most factions in Vespucci keep a high-standard, so, simple solution, report those who are poor RPers, and stop trying to solve a niche issue with a blanket statement. If the issue is with the locals, why not, I don't know, try to socialize with them? Just because someone has a Hispanic looking name doesn't mean they'll kill you on sight, most of these people are just as willing to socialize with you as the rest of the people on this server. This is coming from someone who has a residence in Vespucci.