The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

Just now, Ears Up said:

Vespucci isn't a rich area, it's not an ooc problem, it's an IC problem. Stop acting like Vespucci Beach is Beverly Hills, please. It's  a westside los santos neighborhood that much like parts of South Central, has various gangs within it. The same goes for Little Seoul, which also isn'tbeverly hills.

I'd agree with this if people didn't scream "this area is this part of LA bro these gangs are here" and if the roleplayers in the gangs around there were actually quality, but people do so that area is technically based on venice (which has crips and surenos in the area afaik) but is a heavily populated tourist trap realistically (and even is in GTA5 as well). A lot of the shit going on down there is bad portrayal, so it kinda stops being an IC issue, otherwise yeah it tends to be an ic issue if the RP's done well and not /me aims /s hands /b showitems and then "/b Dude, I've been roleplaying longer than both of you, yall  some clowns" if they lose. The rp comin out of Vespucci is dog booty 99% of the time imo.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, VikoMKD said:

To be honest, my worst experiences roleplaying we with the gangs in Vespucci, they think they are unstoppable and many of them RP underage char which are not afraid of death and roleplay 0 fear, I've pointed a gun at a player who was roleplaying a 16 y/o and trying to take my friends car, the guy just ran in circles and started to punch us which is not realistic at all. I think there should be more regulations ICly and OOCly because trying to murder/rob someone in such a packed area is pure sh*t RP.Also there would probably be cameras in every corner since we are 2020 and not stuck in the past as mentioned above.

I hear where you’re coming from and I agree with you. But I also think the “it’s 2020, not the 70s/80s/90s argument is kind of played out.

I wholeheartedly stand by the idea that realism is of the utmost importance in regards to making this world feel alive and real. However, at a certain point we also have to look at the “fun” aspect of the game as well. Vespucci, while based off a real location in LA, is NOT that place in regards to how the Roleplay has developed and progressed in GTAW’s Los Santos.

For example, you’ve stated how IRL there’s cameras on every corner in most major American cities these days. You’re absolutely right. And that has deterred and changed the criminal underworld immensely. But our Los Santos doesn’t have that deterrent. And our gangs here have developed and evolved to survive in the world that we’ve made. And while things always need to be grounded in reality, some leeway needs to be given for how OUR world has developed through OUR Roleplay. 

NYC turned into the Disney World it is today because of Rudy’s broken windows crackdown in the 80’s and 90’s (among other reasons). OUR Los Santos hasn’t had that crackdown. GTAW’s Los Santos is a character being portrayed just as much as any other character. And it has developed through years of Roleplay, politics, gang warfare, and whatever else.  And while we should all strive for realism, we should also realize that if our world has evolved into a crime ridden cesspool through our own Roleplay as a server, then we should let that happen while still maintaining good Roleplay standards.  

• Upvote 7
  • Applaud 2
3 minutes ago, Gryphboi said:

What does this have to do with Vespucci not being a rich area, because the rent prices are kinda high? Mate, LA rent prices in general are high, does that make the entire city 'only for rich people'?

2 minutes ago, ????????? said:

I'd agree with this if people didn't scream "this area is this part of LA bro these gangs are here" and if the roleplayers in the gangs around there were actually quality, but people do so that area is technically based on venice (which has crips and surenos in the area afaik) but is a heavily populated tourist trap realistically (and even is in GTA5 as well). A lot of the shit going on down there is bad portrayal, so it kinda stops being an IC issue, otherwise yeah it tends to be an ic issue if the RP's done well and not /me aims /s hands /b showitems and then "/b Dude, I've been roleplaying longer than both of you, yall  some clowns" if they lose. The rp comin out of Vespucci is dog booty 99% of the time imo.

Everything is an IC issue until it's reported to IFM, honestly. These threads do nothing. Not only that, but just because Venice (Which is a gang neighborhood) is a tourist trap in real life, doesn't mean you won't get fucked up if you go down the wrong street. My guy you can be robbed and/or murdered in VINEWOOD HILLS.

The 'it's 2020' argument also means nothing as gangs still operate in Venice Beach as of 2020.

Edited by Ears Up

I'd enjoy an Afganistan or Iraq server. Cause at this point certain parts of LS are not so different, oh wait there are no IEDs, yet.

That aside, I am not necessarily against that, I like to watch people in such areas, even to the extent of risking my own character.

Edited by Engelbert
Just now, Ears Up said:

What does this have to do with Vespucci not being a rich area, because the rent prices are kinda high? Mate, LA rent prices in general are high, does that make the entire city 'only for rich people'?

Yeah, that's exactly what it means. Nobody's going to willingly live in a highly-contested area (real estate-wise) if they can't afford to maintain that lifestyle. Specially someone involved with crime/with a record. People take the in-game economy for granted and refuse to RP the fiscal pressure of living in a place like San Andreas IRL. That's the real issue, it all stems from the economy being a little ass backwards. It's all inherently financial and not cultural if you compare it to LA.

Just now, Gryphboi said:

Yeah, that's exactly what it means. Nobody's going to willingly live in a highly-contested area (real estate-wise) if they can't afford to maintain that lifestyle. Specially someone involved with crime/with a record. People take the in-game economy for granted and refuse to RP the fiscal pressure of living in a place like San Andreas IRL. That's the real issue, it all stems from the economy being a little ass backwards. It's all inherently financial and not cultural if you compare it to LA.

Tell me how gangbangers still live in Venice and Koreatown irl then & manage to maintain their lifestyles.

4 minutes ago, Ears Up said:

Everything is an IC issue until it's reported to IFM, honestly. These threads do nothing. Not only that, but just because Venice (Which is a gang neighborhood) is a tourist trap in real life, doesn't mean you won't get fucked up if you go down the wrong street. My guy you can be robbed and/or murdered in VINEWOOD HILLS.

The 'it's 2020' argument also means nothing as gangs still operate in Venice Beach as of 2020.

Oh no doubt, I'm not arguing that like shit there's gang members in my neighborhood and I live in a pretty decent area these days but they don't do all that much, just stoop kids and inactive ogs mainly (in my neighborhood not venice). My main point is that the level of shit people are doin out there and how they portray their gang rp is wack and unrealistic asf in general. All people do is rob shoot and provoke anyone that isnt in the fac majority of the time anyone encounters them. It's obviously a problem if majority of the server always has complaints.

I do agree tho, topics like these don't do shit to fix any of the issues. Bad RP in Vespucci's been a thing since the swap to ragemp, haven't seen a single gang down there with good RP (altho there's also the chance I've missed the good ones)

Edited by ?????????

The problem IG is that in the start everyone gets around 200k starter money which hasn't been earned ICly, this way people actually afford places in Vespucci and other richer areas such as Mirror Park, also let's not forget that many of the places could be bought for Market Price which is really low for this area. And no I don't mind having the gangs in my neighbourhood, but I hate being camped in front of my house only cuz I spawn my cars when I'm IG, and I hate being attacked by 16 year old chars who don't RP having any fear. I know there are gangs in Venice, but they don't kill/rob people in the middle of the day.