How do you feel about radio usage?

MartosG

2 hours ago, Unicorn231 said:

Radios are group OOC chats , I've seen some people putting it into good use but... Other than few people, it's just a way to chat OOCly when you're not near your buddies (totally my experience and what i've seen, i haven't seen it's being used by illegal roleplayers)

I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. Radios are meant to be used strictly for IC purposes.

I agree there is a good amount of people that use radios for silly reasons and it is my opinion that they should be turned into scripted items that you can purchase at 24/7's (which would come with /r access). These should be closely monitored by administrators.

You should not be using radios for the sole purpose of staying in touch with your buddies when you're not with them. We are no longer in the 70's or 80's. You can call or text them instead. If you want to get in touch with multiple people at once, then perhaps a group call/text script should be implemented? 

I don't feel about it all. Show me one civilian organization that uses the radio regularly aside from security companies, taxis or logistics? Like ever seen anyone on the street talking to a radio, seriously stop that. That just doesn't happen in real life. You want to talk to someone? Call them maybe?

Edited by Engelbert

On this server, you don't even need to buy a radio item to use the radio. In one roleplay, my character refused to use a radio because she doesn't carry one around (for obvious reasons) and she was told "it's an app on your smartphone." Hard to argue with that one. So I roleplay it as being a radio app of some sort.

I don't think the problem is people RPing it as something besides a walkie talkie. Our characters have no group chat options whatsoever in their entire worldly existence besides IC Forum PMs or a Facebrowser chat. There are no ways to do group SMSes or otherwise. For that reason, our IC radio channels are really useful and people should be encouraged to use them. 

However.

I think the most unrealistic thing people do is not roleplay any sort of source or flow to their radio. They seem to jump right into any conversation that happens instantly without any problems hearing or any surprise, never miss any dialogue, and know who every speaker is. I'm fine with civilians using the radio as long as they have a somewhat okay IC explanation for what it is, and they make some effort to RP the physicality of the system. If it's a group call, why is your character in a 24-hour group call with people? Is your character walking around with an earpiece in that's always tuned in and ready to go? Do they ever take it off?

My biggest pet peeve about radios is not civilians using them, it's people using them in the middle of RP without any roleplaying. Being in the middle of a regular conversation and then randomly responding things on radio. Chat flow on GTA RP, because it's turn-based, sometimes means that we have weird timing on things and our characters might respond to two conversations at once, but I think radio should require a little more RP of how your character is concurrently processing this information.

"Yeah I got robbed today at the Davis LTD. 
(Radio) Hahaa yeah we can go to that club that's open sure."

• 3 months later...