[LSNN] Election: Kingmaker? A Discussion With Democratic Political Director Riley King

Greyfeather

CvaVzrI.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Election: Kingmaker? A Discussion With Democratic Political Director Riley King

Nayeli Greyfeather

image0.jpg

Riley King, Democratic Party Political Director and Constituency Organizer [image LSNN / Nayeli Greyfeather]

At 18 years of age, Riley King is perhaps not what you might expect in a high functioning campaign staffer.

We start our conversation at her apartment discussing her friends and hobbies. Riley lives with two friends and her hobbies include "singing heavy metal". She tells me that she finds it difficult to scream; and I discover that screaming is a key part of the genre.

Five minutes into my discussion with Riley, and I've learned something!

And this is what makes Riley so effective as a communicator and a person. Gently spoken, calm, rational, intelligent - everything you'd expect from a high level advisor. But without the arrogance that can sometimes come with such a role.

Yet none of this should come as a surprise given that Riley drafted the initial version of the Democratic Party manifesto straight out of college!  

"I started working on my manifesto (as the assistant to the Democratic Chairman Daniel Zavala)...helping out at some rallies and events." Riley says.

"I made it by going out to talk with every person I could and ask them what they wanted. I want to give the people of Los Santos the city they deserve. No more lacking infrastructure in so many departments, but a real functioning one, where when someone needs something they can find it."

"Making Los Santos the city it's supposed to be, for the people." 

Riley explains that her role requires her to "work together with specific constituency groups to gather their opinions, campaign, make events, set up meetings. For example, ULSA set up a few events there. LSPD, FD and SD, set up the meetings with their chiefs. A constituency is...a group of people. And it's my job to organize our relations with those groups of people."

"I build the website, I set up the events for our candidates, I write the manifesto, I write speeches, I write programs, and a bunch more...I love it. But I'm not fighting for the party. I'm not working for the party, I do it for the people. That's my ultimate goal."

When asked to name a notable female role model and what she thinks are the characteristics that make her one, Riley nominated her close friend Kirsten.

"(It's) not because of her amazing achievements - though she has had a few - and not because she always knows right from wrong. But because even after everything that's ever overcome her, she always keeps smiling. Always stays happy, and content. She's dedicated to what she wants and she can literally lose everything she's ever known multiple times over and just keep going."

When I asked her, as I asked Tanya Sun, her opinion of the lack of female candidates she says, "I think the thought should have crossed people's minds more."

"The Democrats have a good selection of candidates from many ethnicities. George Valencia and Richard Orosco have Hispanic ethnicities, we have Badar Khan, Wallace Abbasi, Manjot Singh, and of course Tanya Sun...we do have a varied selection."

"But I think if we'd taken more time to prepare our candidates, to find candidates, more women who are just as bright and intelligent as the men currently running, could have vied in the internal ballots, as well."

When asked about her support for the Me-Too movement, Riley says, "Of course I support the Me-Too movement. I support any movement that aims for justice, so long as its followers do indeed aim for justice."

When asked about the recent allegations against Richard Orosco, Riley (intelligently!) declines to comment.

As for what Riley sees as the two most important Democratic Party programs for this election, Riley nominates The Department of Public Health and the Suicide Prevention Lifeline sub-program.

"Almost everyone I know has known someone who struggles with or who has struggled with suicide. We need more initiative for it. And so, when these elections are over, if we can win some seats, that's what I want to be a priority."

Y8l4IDT.png

8e7bBGN.png

Y8l4IDT.png

VISIT OUR WEBSITE - CLICK HERE

'''

• Upvote 1

Username: 2ndguest
Comment: this is the same person that told a bunch of people in sandy shores that they can legally shoot someone that's committing a violent felony. the fact that they have a senior position in the party tells us all we need to know about the competence of the entire party. she is either stupid enough to tell civilians they can give criminals the death penalty themselves or the dems are intentionally spreading false information to get guns out of the hands of those who live outside the city boundaries. 

the fact that someone who isn't old enough to carry a gun is educating others on how guns are used is a joke. clearly a biased article.

• Upvote 2
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic