More Active Crime Journalism

A_Acko

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

There used to be someone who ran an IC blog about different IC gangs and their beef/war status with other gangs, and if I remember correctly, admins said he couldn’t do it anymore because it was “metagame”

That’s the real issue with crime journalism. Your character/organization needs to have the information at their disposal in order to write about it. If the gang members aren’t talking about their world, and the LEA’s aren’t sharing their information about the current geopolitical standings on the street....then you’re kind of stuck. 

10 hours ago, Rickaroni said:

That’s the real issue with crime journalism. Your character/organization needs to have the information at their disposal in order to write about it. If the gang members aren’t talking about their world, and the LEA’s aren’t sharing their information about the current geopolitical standings on the street....then you’re kind of stuck. 

I mean you can go about finding it ICly, but as you can imagine it's very dependent on your sources and at some point you lose your source and have to find another, and that's another setback between covering the events.

There's a suggestion, or well. Was? Regarding scanning emergency response frequencies. 

Taking LAPD for example, their BASE frequency's pretty easy to listen in on. Allowing certain people to have a scanner allowing them to monitor the same BASE frequency of say, LSPD or LSSD. Would make it actually viable for news, independent or not to work with something. Rather than driving around "hoping". 

The LSPD has a dedicated desk for press related info regarding incidents where people with press credentials can ask for more information, which'll then get replied on by a member of the media relations who usually releases a statement. But if the scanner suggestion DOES make it through, would allow news people to be pro-active.

I've thought about doing it a couple times. My writing skills are better than most and I've always hated how journalism was portrayed on this server. Perhaps, It will be my next character. Bring back the LS Times or some shit ?‍♂️

It'd be cool to see more investigative criminal journalism though for sure.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:49 PM, Rickaroni said:

Except that's not quite the whole story. The blog basically offered pretty basic information about the street gang and the area they hangout in, no IC names or events. Basically just provided you the same info you could find on StreetGangs.com but in an IC setting. It was actually really cool and nobody had any issues with the blog itself. Issues arose when a staff member felt the player was circumventing his IG perma ban by posting on the forums and restricted his posting rights.

Real shame as well because the player literally only posted because he enjoyed writing, saw a general lack of gang knowledge at an IC level and filled that void for the community. Regardless of if he could hop IG and enjoy it himself.

15 hours ago, Benny Black said:

I've thought about doing it a couple times. My writing skills are better than most and I've always hated how journalism was portrayed on this server. Perhaps, It will be my next character. Bring back the LS Times or some shit ?‍♂️

It'd be cool to see more investigative criminal journalism though for sure.

sheesh would wanna see a story on lorenzo cruz cuzz ?

I'd personally love to see more journalism regarding crime and other things in general. The problem is a lot of people lack the drive to do actual investigative work, and those who do have that drive normally end up as Detectives in the LSPD or SD anyways. There's a lot people could write about just based on active court cases, a lot of the time if a Detective busts someone for a crime, our entire casefile and summaries are part of the evidence provided in the trial, which I'm pretty sure realistically people can get a hold of during and after court cases. 

• 3 months later...
  • Wuhtah locked this topic