More Active Crime Journalism

A_Acko

Slightly off topic as we don't really provide illegal RP, but as we host more external events at ULSA, we'll be looking to invite journalists to be present.

We recently ran 2 political events but closed doors to journalists - this was largely due to IC decisions involving both the university and political parties to prevent media bias as there was concerns raised due to the proximity of the upcoming elections.

We'll strive to include LSNN and other news networks a lot more when we do things like this. As a faction we need to streamline event co-ordination because there is a lot involved / required beyond just arranging guest speakers. e.g.  Agreeing dates/times, security, sign up's / tickets, and deciding what other factions we should involve without upsetting others!

• Upvote 1
On 9/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, HaveADream said:

Sure, my 31 year old hyper-liberal journalist could've made a bigger effort to report on crime in South Central, but to me, that showed a real lack of fear RP

Personally, I know you're an admin and shit and probably have your own interpretation of the rule in your mind, but in my opinion if your character actually tried to investigate what's going on in South LS in the right way, there'd be no way you could be accused of not RPing fear. There's countless gang members on social media and many (if contacted) wouldn't mind talking to a reporter about crime in their neighbourhood or in South Los in general.

IMO you'd only show a lack of fear if you openly approached 5-6 gang members and started asking them weird questions about their gang or started taking pictures of them without asking, personally? if you approached my char in south central and started asking him about his gang tatts / his gang, depending on the situation he'd be more than happy to answer you, as would many others..

Limiting yourself from roleplay opportunities because you feel it'd make you look like a bad rper or like you lack fear just doesn't make much sense though to be real with you.

Not only that aswell, but we've got a new graffiti system which is in /cim. Your character could find out much of what she needs to know about gangs in south ls thrugh just that. I could draw a whole gang map, write a list of gangs and who they beef with just off of going around reading /cim's. Then all your char would really need to do is find someone from one of the gangs and initiate a conversation, which lets be honest, isn't hard at all and doesn't display a lack of fear.

Edited by Ears Up
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Ears Up said:

Personally, I know you're an admin and shit and probably have your own interpretation of the rule in your mind, but in my opinion if your character actually tried to investigate what's going on in South LS in the right way, there'd be no way you could be accused of not RPing fear. There's countless gang members on social media and many (if contacted) wouldn't mind talking to a reporter about crime in their neighbourhood or in South Los in general.

IMO you'd only show a lack of fear if you openly approached 5-6 gang members and started asking them weird questions about their gang or started taking pictures of them without asking, personally? if you approached my char in south central and started asking him about his gang tatts / his gang, depending on the situation he'd be more than happy to answer you, as would many others..

Limiting yourself from roleplay opportunities because you feel it'd make you look like a bad rper or like you lack fear just doesn't make much sense though to be real with you.

Not only that aswell, but we've got a new graffiti system which is in /cim. Your character could find out much of what she needs to know about gangs in south ls thrugh just that. I could draw a whole gang map, write a list of gangs and who they beef with just off of going around reading /cim's. Then all your char would really need to do is find someone from one of the gangs and initiate a conversation, which lets be honest, isn't hard at all and doesn't display a lack of fear.

It exists, I'll post a video to support your argument: 

EDIT: Just be careful with what one states during the interview, as the person IN THIS VIDEO is percieved to be a snitch by his neighborhood. Best method is to cover one's face and discuss information that won't fully incriminate the set.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 2

I'd agree that the news factions have always been plagued by this problem, lacking the same volume of people looking to apply and join that PD, SD, FD and other factions have. Hell, I'd say FD might have a slight idea of what it's like, given that it probably gets less people lining up than the LEA factions do.

It's like someone said above, everyone wants to read about criminal RP but no one wants to write about it. I'd go as far as to add that those who can run about it likely happen to be employed in the same line of work in real life (content writers, technical writers, media/journalism) and adding to their workload might seem too much.

I think it just takes the server to comply with LSNN, the same way as you'd open up to give other players an opportunity to roleplay with you, setting up premises for them to engage your character.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, yerro said:

I'd agree that the news factions have always been plagued by this problem, lacking the same volume of people looking to apply and join that PD, SD, FD and other factions have. Hell, I'd say FD might have a slight idea of what it's like, given that it probably gets less people lining up than the LEA factions do.

It's like someone said above, everyone wants to read about criminal RP but no one wants to write about it. I'd go as far as to add that those who can run about it likely happen to be employed in the same line of work in real life (content writers, technical writers, media/journalism) and adding to their workload might seem too much.

I think it just takes the server to comply with LSNN, the same way as you'd open up to give other players an opportunity to roleplay with you, setting up premises for them to engage your character.

FD have never really had an issue with people wanting to join as a Firefighter, it's more civilian recruitment such as PR/Media Relations etc that FD struggles with as I mentioned in my post. No one really wants to be in a position that requires more forum activity than In in game activity and usually those who do join PR, tend to lose motivation for doing it after a week or so, go on LOA or resign. Or, in the better cases. Use it as a time fill to wait for proper recruitment to open for FD. At the moment, FD Public Relations only has two active members, which is myself (The Director of the Division) and the Assistant Director. We're both full time members of the faction as firefighters. Rather than Civilian Staff however.

8 minutes ago, KoishiKomeiji said:

FD have never really had an issue with people wanting to join as a Firefighter, it's more civilian recruitment such as PR/Media Relations etc that FD struggles with as I mentioned in my post. No one really wants to be in a position that requires more forum activity than In in game activity and usually those who do join PR, tend to lose motivation for doing it after a week or so, go on LOA or resign. Or, in the better cases. Use it as a time fill to wait for proper recruitment to open for FD. At the moment, FD Public Relations only has two active members, which is myself (The Director of the Division) and the Assistant Director. We're both full time members of the faction as firefighters. Rather than Civilian Staff however.

Oh, well, maybe here they haven't. But I get you in regard to PR units — it sounds like they could benefit from some more in-game activities, perhaps their role could be expanded some more, perhaps their jurisdiction should be, to allow more in-game encounters and fun.

Seems to be entirely on LEO factions and their respective public relation teams.

Without those teams publicly acknowledging the events that happen IC (Shootings, murders, arson's, etc), there's really no way for journalists to know what's going on unless they stumble across a scene in game. Honestly even a quick, daily press release detailing the last 24 hours of calls would be good. Just a basic outline of what calls PD responded to and where, journalists can use that to investigate further. If there were multiple shootings in Morningwood last night Journalists can go to the area and attempt to interview people, report on the story.

Also more of this from PD:

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic