More Active Crime Journalism

A_Acko

There is a lack of crime journalism in-game. There is barely any articles related to criminal organizations or gangs, yet there are so much of them active.

Does faction management fund investigative/media/journalism factions, or reward them for their work ?

If not, would it be a good idea for these reporters to receive a sort of reward for the work they do?

How are journalists or media notified of crimes like shootings and such? 

Edited by A_Acko

Yeah I'd like to see more journalism, I think it would add an element of immersion to the server seeing journalists and news vans at scenes of crimes, or events. I do believe faction management do fund legal factions, however don't quote me on that.

Edited by Bradd

Okay so, considering I ran LSNN for a solid 7 months, I'll give you my input on this, if you don't wanna read it (its mostly a rant) 

13 minutes ago, A_Acko said:

Does faction management fund investigative/media/journalism factions, or reward them for their work ?

At the start of running LSNN, it was a hard battle to even get some sort of funding in the first place, I paid all my staff out of my pocket, advertising simply wasn't cutting it. HOWEVER, FM has made great strides in improving this system in allowing legal factions to apply for funding per month, up to $200'000 to help relieve the financial stress.

13 minutes ago, A_Acko said:

How are journalists or media notified of crimes like shootings and such? 

We was never notified by LSPD, LSSD or FD when major incidents or scenes occurred, we had fully IC channels authorised by FM, but we wasn't told that a major incident was ongoing, we had to find them or drive around. It wasnt a great system, nor is it a great system, it requires all agencies to be cooperative and talk to the media. But as of recent FD has gone out of it's way to ban staff from talking to the media, even going as far to ban them OOC'ly from talking to the media, as it requires Corruption Permissions, a move which was strange, as LSPD and SD take it generally IC. 

A lot of the server needs to be more welcoming to the news and press in general, it's hard, trust me. It's not a very popular job nor do many people like writing. But I'll tag in my friend who runs LSNN now. @Allegra & @Mike

4 minutes ago, Tennplugg said:

Also, quite curious how News factions make their wages. 

When LSNN was ran, we offered advertising programs but not many people liked it, nor was it a popular one. If people wanna see LSNN's finances, do ask, I'll happily show it, when I was running it. 

Edited by Mitch
  • Applaud 1

Just to piggy-back on this as a member of Legal Faction Management and a former leader for both LSNN and Saints News.

As Mitch has said, LFM has developed a system to provide factions that provide roleplay to the server with enough money to stay afloat - even if said faction doesn't earn a profit or even break-even. Hopefully this will help elevate this concern from news factions especially. At present, other legal factions do not inform news agencies of developing or breaking news stories that they themselves are involved in, and, due to the workload a news faction demands, they're usually less active and therefore more likely to miss big stories just simply driving around - who actually wants to do that, too?

You also have to consider the character, too. When I was working with LSNN, I often saw 'newsworthy' stories, but to my character, LSNN was just a job and my character was off the clock, if it wasn't something major, or didn't fit my characters agenda (which she certainly had) it didn't fit in with the character development to immediately pull out a camera and a notepad at that moment in time. Sure, my 31 year old hyper-liberal journalist could've made a bigger effort to report on crime in South Central, but to me, that showed a real lack of fear RP, my character didn't want to get shot for a job. The closest I personally got was with Saints News in which I had to hire private security, and a story I wrote about a long defunct illegal faction. Did I try to write about South Central crime? Yeah, but it wasn't worth my characters time to prepare questions for an interview or an investigative piece just to get a text saying that my lead has pulled out (this happened every time I tried, in either news faction I was in.)

Everyone wants news about their favourite topics, nobody wants to write it.

Edited by HaveADream
  • Upvote 4

Its just about people being motivated enough to make a faction relating to it. I run Media Relations with FD and while we don't allow faction members to speak to the Press without Corruption perms unless they're in PR. There simply isn't the interest for people to be in divisions such as PR because it involves writing and little work IC (Yes, theres sitting around on scenes to report on them for press releases, IC social media and IF the media turn up) But, other than sitting on scenes to report them, there isn't much more they can do outside of that other than sit there (PR staff aren't BLS trained, can't interact with Firefighters (Whilst they're onscene) etc). So it's down to whether the player REALLY loves journalism enough to be bothered by having little to do in game.

Or whether their imaginative and creative enough to create roleplay for themselves IC. Ideally you join a faction to make your own roleplay as well. Not just have the faction spoon feed you roleplay.

Edited by KoishiKomeiji
  • Applaud 1

Just like what Koishi said journalism is all about creativity and finding your own RP. To give myself something to do I started up a stringer business called OnScene Media and have attempted to sell my photos of scenes with a brief rundown of the scene but haven't sold any phots yet due to the fact that these agencies are having to pay out of their own pocket for this sort of stuff. If FM could set a budget to news agencies in order for them to expand and interact with stringers would bring so much more realism and give people the motivation to start stringing and make a competivtive scene for stringers just like real life, those who got the better shot is the one who gets paid. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic