Perma Death, forced CK?

Sons

Actions need to have consequences. If your character's been PK'd more than once in a span of a month, you're most certainly doing something wrong. The PK rule set we have currently, and the lack of a sense of loss cultivates a lack of fear of death that you would usually feel in dangerous situations. At this point, we might as well give it a shot with slow implementation, starting with specific conditions that need to be met to have a CK situation occur (You're kidnapped, you don't comply with your captors and are killed or in general criminal conflicts). 

In addition to this, new characters need to start from fresh when they do get CK'd. Cops shouldn't go back to the rank they were at before they died, criminals should lose everything they had. Name changes should only be used when a retired character has hit a road block and you cannot develop said character anymore. CK's, especially CK's in active conflicts or police shootouts should end in CK's, no NC, a complete fresh start.

I see you've mentioned fear RP, and that's a great point, however threatening people with a CK if they don't won't work, nor it's the only option to deal with people who don't. One should most definitely roleplay fear at all times (obviously when the situation requires so) no matter if they're at risk of being CK'd or they'll move on after a PK and retain their previous posessions, position in their faction or anything else. If you're a gangbanger having 10 SWAT operatives on your front porch, or you're a 'I'll save the day and be a hero' cop that's going to pull over a 4-deep sedan full of people with autos that just put 2 of your colleagues 6 feet under you should RP fear and act accordingly. If you don't then you really have to reconsider your choices and why are you playing on a heavy RP server.

In conclusion: Forced CKs and all that jazz isn't the solution. Administrative punishments for non-RP fear n not valuing your character's life along with people being yeeted out of their factions (or any other punishment, up to the factions command team) if they don't is.

Edited by Brian

I fully agree that IC actions should have IC consequences, and I'd really love for there to be more depth to death in this server. I really wish people sought other roleplay resolutions than just killing. Killing is boring, it's pretty much just a full-stop on the RP.

However, there are some problems with making it so that we had to roleplay every death as being really meaningful. Already, someone can create a brand new character, go up to people who're playing really long-running characters, and roleplay messing with them. Sure, you can't just run up and shoot them in the back of the head without any RP, but it's not too difficult to come up with a "reason" to kill someone in GTA:W. Certainly not hard to come up with a reason to rob, kidnap, or assault them. There are many ways a brand new character with no development can throw a huge wrench into a character or faction that has hundreds, or even thousands of hours of development.

Sure, in real life that can happen. In real life sometimes some shitty nobody ruins your life and that's just the way it works. But that's the really unfun side of reality, and it makes for terrible RP. 

We already have problems with, say, PD roleplayers who are RPing these characters for thousands of hours, having to RP permanent physical or mental damage because of a character that has less than 10 hours played. That's not to say that we should ignore the RP of people, but this is pointing out one of the biggest weaknesses of forcing all consequences to "stick" -- if all I needed to CK someone was to make an alt and spend 10-15 hours roleplaying around a person until I come up with an IC reason to murder them, it's easy to carry that out and let my burner character suffer the consequences. My brand new 20-hour character gets in trouble, gets CKed, gets whatever? No worries, I make a new one, and I'm right back to it. The person whose 1500+ hour character I just ruined, whose faction is now missing a key member, not so much.

15 hours ago, Свето said:

Screenshot_20200917-025044_Chrome.jpg

(5,6 + 4  + 2.2 ) / 3 ~ 4

Screenshot_20200917-025010_Chrome.jpg

5 > 4 

lol

There's this crazy thing that's been documented called "under-reporting". Feel free to look it up.

Anyway, back on topic.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind permadeath at /all/.

I've been here since May, as an illegal character, and have managed not to get killed once, not even as a PK or victim of DM.

I feel like if you treat your life like it has any sort of value, it's pretty easy to stay alive.

14 hours ago, Ink said:

Killing is boring, it's pretty much just a full-stop on the RP.

There are many ways a brand new character with no development can throw a huge wrench into a character or faction that has hundreds, or even thousands of hours of development.

+1000

Much more fun to RP long-term consequences that integrate into a developed storyline rather than simply dying and starting over. 

Edited by Katja